Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Handcrafts for children?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Handcrafts for children? Next Topic  

FarmGirlWishes
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Christine
Markham Ontario
Canada
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  8:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,

As you can see I'm fairly new around here. I do many handcrafts - sewing, knitting, needlework, rug hooking and my daughter has watched me do all these things. She's going on 6 years now and I have to admit I'm at a bit of a loss where to start with her. I tried a pre-packaged cross stitch on plastic canvas kit with her but she lost interest pretty quickly.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to get her started? She wants to sew but I'm a little hesitant about using the sewing machine, although I thought she could easily make some simple sheets, blankets or pillows for her dolls.

Does anyone have any suggestions or patterns for other projects that an almost-6-year old could handle?

I'm wondering about crochet? I haven't done it in many years and never really did a lot of it. How about granny squares? Too difficult? Again, I thought she could make a few and sew them into blankets for dolls or even make a small purse for herself.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Christine

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  12:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Christine, Welcome!
My daughter has watched me do all sorts of crafting, sewing, etc. When she was 5 or 6 y/o she wanted to learn to crochet (at the time I was crocheting 2 capes one for her and one for her friend), I showed her how but she couldn't stay focused on it. I let it go after several attempts. When she was 8 or 9 she wanted to sew (again I was working on sewing something). I sat her down at my machine and took scrap cotton and gave brief instructions and let her make a pillow case for a couch pillow she used for her dolls. She was thrilled she did it so fast and without much instruction. That year for Christmas we bought her her own sewing machine. She doesn't usually pull it out unless I'm working on a project, but she does make things from her own imagination. She isn't into going by patterns yet. Could be my fault, although I sew either from patterns of from an idea in my head, I guess I haven't shown her how to sew from patterns as much.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is what ever you are working on, give her scraps to work on at the same time. I also would give my daughter a blunt needle, such as an embroidery/cross stitch type of needle and let my daughter sew by hand something for her doll. She really enjoyed that too. Sometimes even just cutting out a piece of fabric made my little one feel like she had "created" something new.

This is a very fun time for you. My DD is now 12 and I probably won't be able to get her to help me sew again until late fall when we spend more time in the house.

Whatever you do....just have fun with you DD. Let her do it at her pace.

God Bless,
Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlWishes
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Christine
Markham Ontario
Canada
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  1:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your suggestions. They do make sense and she's really doing that now; asking for scraps of whatever I'm sewing with and then using bit of string or yarn and wrapping and tying and so on.

Thanks again,
Christine
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  4:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Christine,
My grandmother taught me most of things I know how to do and I have such fond memories of her sitting down with me and being patient enough to teach me. The first thing I learned how to do was embroider french knots and I would sit and do them for hours.
There is a fun new magazine that has been out for about 1 year called Living Crafts. It has a lot of activities for children and moms which are made with natural materials. If you get a chance to look at one or go online to see what the magazine has in it I think you will find lots of fun ideas.
I'm so happy to hear you want to pass down your skills to your daughter. I wish my Nana was still around so she could teach me how to tat. I was just tiny when she passed away but her work is so beautiful and no one in the family learned how. The things I have taught my daughters who are in their 20's has kept them happy when they were lonely in college or needed to make do when they were low on money. I think people are happier when they are able to create things for themselves.
Has she made any yo yo's yet? My grandma gave me her old scrap fabric from the house dresses and aprons she made and I made yo yo's to stitch together to make a pillow. I still have the pillow and it is so fun to see my grandma's dress fabric. You can also make a cute tic tac toe game with a nine patch square and 2 different colors of yo yo's.
So happy to know there is a little farmgirl in the making!

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlWishes
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Christine
Markham Ontario
Canada
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  5:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Barnagainkristin (Love the name)

My mom taught me the basics of knitting and sewing and even though I don't recall her actually doing it, they have been skills that I've built on myself and am always thankful for her teaching me.

It's really an important time in my daughter's life right now to spend time with Mom (baby brother, changing schools in the fall which she doesn't want to do, etc.) but I'm afraid of frustrating her.

I will check out Living Crafts; it sounds good. But I don't know what yo-yo's are. They sound fun and hopefully at her level. Can you tell me how to make them or where to find some good instructions? I like the idea of having something that's made of bits of memories.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Calico Cheri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cheri
Goshen Indiana
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  9:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Christine~
You might consider a quick-sew project that will last: bean bags. I know it sounds dull, but it teaches basics on the machine. Stack two rectangles, wrong sides touching. She could sit on your lap as you both guide simple rectangles thru, sewing around three sides. Don't worry about the raw edges. ( If they bother you then sew rectangles Right Sides together and then turn RS out ) Then pour beans or rice into the 'pockets' you made, about 2/3 full. Back on machine, carefully sew remaining edge shut. I promise she won't be bored. Now dig shallow hole in backyard to aim at or use bucket or pan and see if you can too the beanbag inside ! Best to make 4 bags to play with. These can be made with scraps or recycled jeans or whatever. Have fun !
~Cheri

~Glad to make your acquaintance :)

aWhimsy.etsy.com
stitchwhimsy.blogspot.com

Where's your sense of adventure ?
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlWishes
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Christine
Markham Ontario
Canada
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  04:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Ooo - bean bags sound fun! Great suggestion. Thanks!
Christine
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  09:23:30 AM  Show Profile
My daughter just turned five and I can't wait to work through these books with her!
http://www.amazon.com/Catch-Sewing-Bug-Simple-Projects/dp/0971494444/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246205989&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Stitches-Pins-Beginning-Sewing-Girls/dp/0971494401/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlWishes
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Christine
Markham Ontario
Canada
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  10:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow! They look neat; I'll check them out.

Thanks,
Christine
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  2:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Christine,
Sorry it took a while to get back to you. There are some posts in the stitching and crafting section with yo yo's in. I just saw one today with pictures. I don't have anything in particular to give you with patterns but I'm sure if you google how to make yo yo's you will find lots of information. Happy crafting with your little one.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  2:21:00 PM  Show Profile
You could always start her on finger knitting like I am doing. I plan on teaching my six year old soon. This was the best video I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMdzEjI9bsg&feature=related

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Handcrafts for children? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page