Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Gluten Free Farmgirls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Gluten Free Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 2

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Hello farmgirls!!! I am very new to all of this but VERY excited!! New Chapter ... Gluten Free Farmgirls ... anyone out there gluten free? Looking for new recipes, tricks, tips, etc? I'm looking forward to meeting you and hearing about your adventures!

Weedy Ways, Lynn ~ Farmgirl #626

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:24:38 PM  Show Profile
I am not Gluten intolerant but most of the DH family is and I always need good ideas for family dinners.
Hey and welcome to the Family of sisters. I even know some folks in Wooster.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Lynneee-poo! You made it!!! YAY!!!!! Um.... I am loving that supplement so far. I feel pretty darn good!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Wow small world. I work at a Health Food Store in Bluffton and my boss-lady is from Wooster.
There are a lot of cookbooks out there now and if you have a health food store near you they can help. Also look at Krogers for gf flours and baking supplies, plus cookies, crackers, ect.

Sisterchick Tammyb #541
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  2:00:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gramadinah! My website has some recipes for you to try ... it's not to extensive yet, still formulating a few and have lots of ideas just not a lot of time unfortunately - that's coming though! Hard work pays off and play time takes over!! I can't wait! I haven't figured out all the bells and whistles here yet- but if you get to my website I post tips/tricks, ideas local links ... there are local support group including thier links, Gluten Free ideas, bulletins and updates -

Hey Deeredawn!! I'm alive ... I put a bio out on Mavens! I'm surprised it's working so fast, but good for you - the power of Watkins!!!!

WeedyWays.com ~ for a healthier happier and better you! Customized herbals, Watkins Products (since 1868!), Nature's Sunshine and Arbonne ... with attention to special needs including Gluten Free!
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  2:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammyb! I have been gluten free since 2001, but am always seeking new ideas and tips ... especially to share with those newly diagnosed!! I hope we get word out and about so the newly diagnosed won't be so afraid and more locations/stores will be knowledgeable and stock our goodies!!

it sounds like Wooster isn't as far off or hidden as I'd thought ...

Glad to meet you all!!

WeedyWays.com ~ for a healthier happier and better you! Customized herbals, Watkins Products (since 1868!), Nature's Sunshine and Arbonne ... with attention to special needs including Gluten Free!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  2:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Lynn, maybe its the Watkins, maybe not.. But I feel good lately. Hey, I ain't knockin it!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  6:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello Lynn! Welcome!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.com
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  12:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I was making cupcakes for my husband the other week and was grumping since they weren't gluten free and I couldn't eat them ... I was using Jiffy White Icing mix (since I hate making homemade icing - it just never comes out good unless I do a cream cheese type ... anyway) I saw the ingredients didn't contain gluten so, today, finally I called Chelsea Mills/Jiffy Products to get the scoop .......... The voicemail to me said: The icing mixes do not contain ingredients in which gluten is present, however, remember, the facility does process gluten. The intriguing part of this email was: there is a employee who's wife has Celiac Disease and she does eat the icing mixes without any trouble!! SO - the ARE AWARE of Celiac Disease and they aren't afraid to tell us that story!! The icing mixes are yummy!! I have eaten them twice now on Gluten Free cupcakes and haven't had any trouble.
Hope this helps!!

Weedy Ways ~ Lynn (Farmgirl #626)

Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  07:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
I am gluten free due to a B12 deficiency. I do use spelt flour though with no trouble.

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:01:42 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning LynnMarie!

2 questions jumped from me as soon as I read your note ... Have you been diagnosed Celiac and it caused your B12 deficiency and you do know spelt is a form of wheat -??

Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
No, I haven't been diagnosed with Celiac but wheat did cause me alot of pain in the gut and lots of running to the bathroom. So maybe I should have said - gluten free/processed flours, huh? With Spelt, I do not have any problems. I also do not eat processed sugar; instead I use raw sugar. This summer, I have also been adding my own home grown stevia to my herbal tea. For some reason, processed foods keep my gut from utilizing nutrients in the foods.

So maybe I can learn some new tricks from you gluten free gals, huh?

Some info I found on the net...

From Wikipedia-

Nutrition

Spelt contains about 57.9 percent carbohydrates (excluding 9.2 percent fiber), 17.0 percent protein and 3.0 percent fat, as well as dietary minerals and vitamins.[7] As it contains a moderate amount of gluten, it is suitable for baking. In Germany, the unripe spelt grains are dried and eaten as Grünkern, which literally means "green grain".
Spelt is closely related to common wheat, and is not suitable for people with coeliac disease. Some people with wheat allergy or wheat intolerance can tolerate spelt.

And from Pacific Bakery-

Nutrition Value
Spelt's uniqueness is also derived from its genetic makeup and nutrition profile. Spelt has high water solubility, so the nutrients are easily absorbed by the body. Spelt contains special carbohydrates which are an important factor in blood clotting and stimulating the body's immune system. It is also a superb fiber resource and has large amounts of B-complex vitamins. Total protein content is from 10 to 25% greater than the common varieties of commercial wheat.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  10:46:12 AM  Show Profile
I've been gluten free for 9 years now from choice. But, have recently started having allergies to wheat and a long list of other foods. I'm really looking forward to your ideas with recipes. I also have to rotate my foods every four days and can't eat sugar so I use agave or stevia. My homeopathic doctor saved my life 4 years ago from Lyme disease and life hasn't been the same since. So, I look for positive people and I really like the forum and getting to know this group.

Marjean

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards and jewelry, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
jeanpatch.wordpress.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  12:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies!!

I am so very glad spelt works for you LynnMarie, it is a very versitile grain and it works so well in place of wheat flour ... unfortunately, Celiacs cannot eat it - if they do eat it and are fortunate not feel badly and have problems arise, it is still damaging the intestinal villa and creating inflammation throughout which our body systems get overloaded with and struggle to fight, ultimately leaving our immune system worn out and vunlerable.

I hope we'll be able to share some great tips and tricks and amazing recipes!!

I mixed up my normal ' butter basted white bread ' last weekend and ran out of one of my flours so I simply tossed in another - WOW! - I have to try it again, I think I've created a new loaf ... it toasts up just like an english muffin --- I so hope once I do it again it's a reality and not a fluke!!

-----
It's nice to meet you Marjean ~ I hope we all have a good time getting to know each other!! There is always room to learn more from one another every day!!
I know exactly how you feel with the struggle of allergies ... I am Celiac, but I am allergic to corn, honey (bee products overall), peanut butter and a few other things too (won't bore you!) ha ha ha --- I tell the newly diagnosed Celiacs that come to the support groups they have it made just removing gluten from their diet ... taking out corn too is just plain ugly some days!

Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  12:03:05 PM  Show Profile
Marjean - I am very curious, did the homeopathic doctor have you taking any of the thistles?

Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  12:17:29 PM  Show Profile
This may be a trick question, but I've been searching for a while...does anyone have a good recipe for Gluten Free Cheesecake that is also corn free, nut free, bee/honey free AND dairy free? (whew, that's a lot!) ~ even a dairy free recipe will work really, I can substitute out the rest on my own, but I don't know what will replace the cream cheese well - Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  1:28:32 PM  Show Profile
HI Lynn,

Right now we are fighting the Lyme attacking my genetics after a car accident and that caused me to start loosing weight and a whole pyramid of problems. Do the thistles calm down the small intestine?
I will ask her on my next visit how they work?

For your dairy free cheese cake, if you can eat soy, try the soy cream cheese it comes in a round tub at the health food stores. I used to get it years back when I could eat soy. It works great and just add the other ingredients for a cheese cake recipe that you can eat. I use the agave and have no problems with it and it comes in different flavors.

Marjean

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards and jewelry, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
jeanpatch.wordpress.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  07:26:12 AM  Show Profile
www.yourdigestivehealth@everydayhealth.com

Has a good article today about Celiacs disease and resources.

Marjean

Farmgirl sister #308
jeanpatch.wordpress.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  2:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lynn,

How are you doing? I'm finally gaining some weight back, yeah!!! I've been watching what comes into the house and we are finally getting rid of all the gluten products in the house. I have to keep reminding them I can't even smell the gluten when it cooks or floating in the air and they are doing great at remembering. My daughter works at a health food store so she buy gluten free snuff for herself now too.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  05:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like Christmas will be better for you this year! That's so wonderful!!

Does you daughter have problems with gluten or has she found she likes some of the products?

I haven't found a soy cream cheese yet ... but I am going to take some time to go to a larger town and shop over the next couple weeks, hopefully I can find it there. I have been unsuccessful at keeping my local grocer convinced to stock a dairy free margarine ---- don't know why it's so hard, but it's never on the shelf when I go in and they swear they've stocked it ... hmmmmmmm, that tells me there are more people than me seeking this product, right? ha ha ha "C'est La Vie!"

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  09:01:55 AM  Show Profile
I've never had her tested, but I follow the "Eat right for you blood type" and we aren't supposed to eat wheat according to that doctor. It has been very accurate. She has learned to adjust over the years to our way of eating. No sugar, no wheat, etc...organic.
I'll get the brand of that soy cream cheese and maybe that will help you could ask them to order it in for you.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

hhalleck
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Hannah
Ohio
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies!
I'm new to ohio, and live in Lima....it's great to see some of you so close!

Hannah May
Farmgirl #882
www.thehallecks.blogspot.com
www.prettystinkingreen.com
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  10:03:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Hannah May!
Sorry, I'm so slow, the new year is alreay flying by!
How's the weather in Lima today?
Wooster is awaiting the blast - a few flakes are staring to fall now.
How long have you been GF?

Go to Top of Page

wellswillow
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcie
Branchport New York
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  06:12:25 AM  Show Profile
I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for a year now. I am always looking for new recipes. It was good to see some gluten free ideas in the Feb/Mar issue of MJF. I'll keep checking here for more ideas too. Thanks for starting this forum.
Marcie

I enjoy chatting with my friends.
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  03:40:08 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Marcie! It's good to see I am not the only early bird! I'm about to get the day moving for real shortly!! ha ha - I'm glad to have your psot! It makes the day start with a larger smile!! I will try to keep up all the good info, please always feel free to jump in at any time!! If you can, join the henhouse so you will get all the updates - chcck out my website, there are new recipes added there quite often. Have a great day!

Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  08:42:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I introduced myself in the henhouse, but just found this and thought I should speak up here, too! I've had Lyme disease for 13+ years now and have been gluten free since April '09 after doing food allergy testing. My daughter is also allergic to gluten. It has made a tremendous difference in our lives. Made things a whole lot better physically and mentally, even though it's more difficult financially. It's worth it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Gluten Free Farmgirls Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page