Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Gluten Free Farmgirls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Gluten Free Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 2

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  08:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kyria,
I would like to talk to you about how you've dealt with your Lyme disease. I've had it for 5 years now. I can only use alternative med. for treatment. Please email me.
Thanks,
Marjean

quote:
Originally posted by Kyria

Hi ladies! I introduced myself in the henhouse, but just found this and thought I should speak up here, too! I've had Lyme disease for 13+ years now and have been gluten free since April '09 after doing food allergy testing. My daughter is also allergic to gluten. It has made a tremendous difference in our lives. Made things a whole lot better physically and mentally, even though it's more difficult financially. It's worth it!

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  09:29:46 AM  Show Profile
Done, Marjean!
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1496 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1496 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  10:30:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies:

Nice to know there are some gluten free farm chicks in the group!

I avoid gluten and cow milk in my diet as much as possible by choice to keep my seasonal asthma under control with the lowest doses of my medications. My SIL is a naturopathic physician. She convinced me to have blood testing done several years ago when my dependence on inhaler medications was increasing for no apparent reason. I can still eat rye and other grains related to wheat on a rotational basis but I try to avoid them most of the time. Processed wheat flours are the worst - I can usually tolerate mimimally processed flours in moderation now and then. I do a fair amount of baking including bread, cookies and other treats. My latest experimentation has been with a gluten free sour dough starter. So far the results have been pretty good. I mix most of my own flour mixes. We have a nice health food store in town and most of the local grocery stores also have a decent supply of gluten free products.

Sorry Lynn - I don't have a recipe for cheese cake. I don't know if you can eat soy, but if so you can try substituting soy cream cheese. I've used it for frostings and other dishes calling for cream cheese and it works well. I suspect you might also be able to use soft tofu if you drain it well enough. Another possibility might be chill-over powder made with non-dairy milk. I just got some yesterday but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Also ordered a sample of the gluten free mix. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go.

I'm new to MFJ so I'm still trying to figure out how to register for the hen houses. I just got my sisterhood packet and badge yesterday. I'll figure it out eventually!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  05:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marilyn!

It is great to hear you're working on a natural way to fix your asthma! As a consulting herbalist that is music to my ears!!

Email BrianOgle@MaryJanesFarm.org to enter any henhouse, just give him your information and which henhouse(s) you'd like to play - he's wonderful!

I haven't tried the soy cream cheese yet - it's so hard to find in my area - plus I don't get to venture too far from home due to my schdule - but I'll get there!! :)

We're very glad to have you ... I am Celiac so my life is 100% gluten free - meaning no (none, never) wheat, rye, barley, spelt, and oats (plain and flat out of fear on the oats!)

I'm also glad there are other gluten free farmgirls out there - we all need to stick together and make this diet more understood! Celiac Disease is serious, it's easily diagnosed and should be tested for when one is having issues that parallell any of the over 300 symptoms that mimic all other health issues -

It's hard to eliminate triggers, such as in your case, but by taking the time and starting from the bottom from scratch it is well worth it!!

In either event, better health is the key and better living is priceless!!

I look forward to getting to know you!

Weedy Ways ~ Lynn (Farmgirl #626)
WeedyWays.com ~ for a healthier happier and better you! Customized herbals, Watkins Products (since 1868!), Nature's Sunshine and Arbonne ... with attention to special needs including Gluten Free!
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  1:24:14 PM  Show Profile
If you're in Ohio and are searching for tastey Gluten Free Baking Mixes --- I'd like to introduce you to my brand new line, just launched today!! I home-produce a Gluten Free Flour Blend - use as replacement in just about any recipe with success; Gluten Free Bread Mix, Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix and Gluten Free Brownie Mix .... check them out on my website.

These are not only great for the gluten free diet but great for friends and family of a gluten free person - they make it simple to toss in a treat and have it ready without an all day adventure!

WeedyWays.com ~ for a healthier happier and better you! Customized herbals, Watkins Products (since 1868!), Nature's Sunshine and Arbonne ... with attention to special needs including Gluten Free!
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  11:35:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi all ... if you're in the Wooster, Ohio area on March 20 - I'll be doing a demo of My Gluten Free Baking Mixes at Local Roots Wooster .... stop in and say hello, pick up a mix or two, some jam - goat milk soap, veggies, meats ... ooooh, good thing dinner is rolling around soon, making me hungry thinking about it!!

Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:26:34 PM  Show Profile
I am spreading the word ... Local Roots, Downtown Wooster, OH is now open on Fridays from noon to 7 as well as Saturdays from 9 to 3 ... Stop in grab a gluten free mix and have dessert or a snack in a jiffy!

Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  07:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Saturday, April 17 ... Gluten free baking mixes and Watkins products are available at the Stark Co. Fairgrounds (Ohio) from 9:00 to 1:00 ... Recieve 10% off regular priced items by bringing a newsletter from your celiac support group!

Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  11:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Tomorrow starts Celiac Awareness month . . .
It's time to educatate those around us that are not familiar with Celiac and gluten free living ...

It's time to teach the restaurants how to safely serve Celiacs and gluten free diets.
It's time to make Celiac Disease as well knows as Diabetes!

... start with your family - understanding is half the battle!
... move onto your friends - teach them what's safe.
... talk to a restaurant - can they safely offer a dish or two?
... talk to your schools/colleges - do they have meals for the kids?

? don't know about Celiac or Gluten free? ?
Find out more ... google it, visit my website, email me ...

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  05:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi WeedyWays-Lynn,
just stopped in there for a visit, and to see what's going on in the Glutenfree area. I'm not gluten intolerant, but I know a friend that her whole family is but her, she just found out a few years ago, so I keep my ears and eyes open, I can't wait to tell her about this site. Anyway, Congratulations on your new business that's fantastic! Also, I was going to to mention, I had a cherry cheesecake made out of tofu once, it was fantastic......I was at a an herbal weekend workshop and they served it! (several years ago,when I lived in CA) I'll see if I can't get you a recipe or maybe you could just google one! hope that helps a little.

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

Weedy Ways
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Lynn
OH
USA
41 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  05:31:20 AM  Show Profile
Good morning!

Thank you for the wonderful note ... please tell her to check out the posts for Gluten Free Farmgirls and my website as well ... it's a busy month, being Celiac Awareness month, but I'll be in and out of the web often!

Even those who are not gluten intolerant or celiac can benefit from my posts somewhere along the lines ... like you, they know someone that has to eat gluten free and they may not understand it or understand the importance of NO contamination!

Have a wonderful day - I'd love that recipe if you come across it...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Gluten Free Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page