twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:38:00 AM  Show Profile
I am so frustrated. Once again my own dog killed some of my chickens (of course my favorite most expensive ones). This time it was Hazel. That cute little Hazel. I am at such a loss. After Willow got all those chicks we put the extra fence up. Well, I guess she squeezed through it somehow. My Welsummers and Wyandottes (all but 1 roo) and 3 Buff Orp hens. My Buff Orp roo was attacked but not killed. He has a big gash in his back and is weezing pretty bad. If he makes it, it's gonna be a miracle.

Now, I have never been one to raise my hand to any of my dogs, but this time something had to be done. Sooo, I picked up a hen and popped her with it. It was quite comical now that I think about how I must have looked chasing a dog with a dead chicken.(Good thing I don't have neighbors...LOL) She had this look like "OMG it came back to life and is attacking me". Needless to say she hasn't gone near that side of the yard again (yet, knock on wood).

Awhile back the hunters around here told me to tie a dead chicken around their necks. Evidently that is how they keep their hunting dogs from getting chickens. I just couldn't get pass the gross factor of decomposing chicken left around a dogs neck....ewwww. But I also can't sit back and let them kill all my chickens.

So we will see how my *zombie chicken attack method* worked and I will let everyone know how it turns out incase you have this problem as well. And if anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated, by me and my birds.

HUGS

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  09:37:30 AM  Show Profile
Christina...I had the same problem once. I may get bad feedback from this and it is only what we did. I do not intend to offend anyone. So the story goes....we had a dog that I love dearly named Annie and she was killing my chicks (when we weren't around ofcource) so we put an electric fence around the outside of the chicken pen and after touching it twice she never bothered them again. Now they run in the yard with her and ever drink out of the same water bowl.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  09:52:59 AM  Show Profile
It is almost impossible to break a dog, once they have killed, sometimes you are lucky ( at least for awhile), and they stop. I had a dog about 15 years ago that was raised with livestock, ( born here), and she started chasing my cows and goats. I did everything I could think of to correct her, and she finally stopped, ( or so I thought), til I got a call from the neighbor, telling me to get over there ASAP. What i found when I arrived, made me sick, boot was hunkered down in a corner of his barn, chewing up what was left of the calf she had killed. I drug her out, brought her home and put her down. My point being is , weigh which you want more, your and your neighbors livestock, or your dogs. Most ranch/farm areas, they will get shot, and its legal, and you will be footing the bill. Sorry to be so cold about it, I just want you to know what could and probally will happen.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  09:53:56 AM  Show Profile
See I have thought about a hot wire set up but with my little ones running around, I don't feel it's safe for our yard. I am sure I will get bad feedback but I don't know what else to do. All of my dogs are extensivley trained and have Citizen certificates. So my only other option is the pound. What is worse the pound or a swat on the head with a dead chicken. That is my reasoning.

That is always how it is, isn't it? They are angels until you turn your back.

I don't mean to offend anyone either and really hope I didn't. If you know me, you know my love for ALL my animals and just wish they would live in peace. I see the swat on the head as the chicken dominating the dog. Not as a cruel tortuous beating. It did NOT hurt her. In the wild as a pack, they do much more horrible things to each other...just for that top spot.

I see endless stories of family dog attacks on chickens and just thought maybe I had made a breakthrough. So I thought I would share.

Thanks for your support peapicker.

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 1badmamawolf

It is almost impossible to break a dog, once they have killed, sometimes you are lucky ( at least for awhile), and they stop. I had a dog about 15 years ago that was raised with livestock, ( born here), and she started chasing my cows and goats. I did everything I could think of to correct her, and she finally stopped, ( or so I thought), til I got a call from the neighbor, telling me to get over there ASAP. What i found when I arrived, made me sick, boot was hunkered down in a corner of his barn, chewing up what was left of the calf she had killed. I drug her out, brought her home and put her down. My point being is , weigh which you want more, your and your neighbors livestock, or your dogs. Most ranch/farm areas, they will get shot, and its legal, and you will be footing the bill. Sorry to be so cold about it, I just want you to know what could and probally will happen.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

I don't feel that's cold at all. Honestly I have thought about putting them down. I know the pound would and if they didn't, I would just be passing my problem onto someone else.

With that said...I feel there might be some hope because she doesn't eat them, just kills. It's a game to her. A game that I am determined to change the outcome of. ANd if I can't I am willing to deal with the alternative.

But in the time being I just hope zombie chicken worked.

Christina

Edited by - twzlrwho on Jun 24 2009 10:03:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  10:11:27 AM  Show Profile
Christina, The reason she does not eat them, is BECAUSE she is a dog, not a wolf/coyote/fox/coon etc. She gets fed by you, and you are right, it is a game, and she probally will keep playing the game, until she looses. Ive' had people in the past ask me, "how do you know its dogs, not coyotes", and the answer is, wild animals don't play with their food, they grab and run, going to a "safe" spot far enough away to eat. Dog/dogs will kill as many as they can, (entire flocks), and when they are no longer moving, they are no longer any fun, so they go onto the next, they usually don't eat them, unless they are dumped and starving or ferral. Good luck, and I really mean that.

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Christina and Teresa,

I agree totally. I don't want to stir anything up with folks that don't deal with life and death on a farm on a regular basis. It really is a
commom sense choice of what you have to do to make things work with your land and your neighbors. I guess I was lucky because it has been about five years and Annie will lay on the ground and the chickens walk on her and she doesn't do anything to them. I sure hope Zuzu doesn't give me any problems!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  10:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think you are doing what you need to do to protect you investment! Your dog hopefully will learn and hasn't suffered any harm. I did have to laught at the "Zombie Chicken Attack" It's good that you can keep you humor about you.

Another idea is to put chicken wire on the chicken side of the fence or you could get one of those invisible fence things that gives them a zap if they cross the line. You could bury it about one or two feet out from the chicken coop. That way the only thing getting zapped is the dogs- not the kids.

*hugs* Hope they stop attacking the chickens.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  10:57:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes Alee, that is exactly it. I have invested so much in both of them. I just know there has got to be a better way. I love the idea of an invisible fence but their yard is pretty big, and that would be pretty pricey. (I have some in a coop and some that free range) The fence that I am using now is 6ft deer fence (I think that's what you call it) and do you know I can't even find where she got in through. There isn't any bent or a hole dug. I have tried following her around the yard to see if she goes back to hole, but no such luck.

I have just decided to take a more direct approach. I have a lead and I am taking her in the chicken yard for some training (no zombie chicken attacks I swear..LOL).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and support. Have a great day!

Christina

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile
Christina , it could be that your chickens got out of the pen. Mine have done that in the past.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  03:05:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
We had a dalmation when I was a kid on the farm. It started killing chickens and my dad tried the tie a dead chicken around the neck method to no avail. When it killed my mom's bantees that was it. My dad shot him. In front of me. I was maybe 9 and begging my dad not to do it. Please if you can't find a way to keep your dogs and your chickens safe take them (the dogs) to the humane society. Let them work with them on training so they can be good family dogs. You can give a monetary donation to help pay for their keep until new homes can be found. Or contact a rescue. I am 52 yrs. old and I can recall that day as if it was yesterday. Something I will never forget and my dad still regrets. The dogs are just being dogs. They deserve a 2nd chance please in a non farm setting. I love all animals, chickens too. So I know how hard this is for you. Good luck!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  03:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Luckily both our dogs were broken from this. It helped that at the time we had a very nasty rooster.
He even "trained" the cats not to go near chickens.

Our dog right now chases but doesn't eat. She's a herding dog and wants to herd 'em up.

We are saving up for one of those Kencove electrified fences to keep other vermin out.

I have also heard about the dead animal around the neck thing too. I'd do it just to spite the offendng dog. Had thouth about doing it to our trashy neighbors whose dog murdered one of our chickens , but never could get cloes enough.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  08:52:54 AM  Show Profile
If you do deceide to take the dogs to the humane society, please tell them , the dog is a chicken killer, because if they are adopted out to a family, and even if they have no chickens, sometimes anything that runs, becomes fair game, i.e., cats, small dogs, etc. Also, most ranch/farm dogs are not going to adapt to living in a small fenced backyard life of a city dog.

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  1:59:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure how shelters work in all of your areas, but around here the city/county animal shelter only take so many and when they are full they turn you down. Most of them only keep the animals for three days and if they don't get adopted they get put down. We have dogs alomst weekly dumped off here and it makes me so mad. I really wish the owners would just put them down themselves because its mean to leave them where they become prey to the coyotes and have no food. It's hard to find no kill shelters here too. In fact I don't know of any in this area. We have three dogs and really can't take in any strays at this time. It is a big problem.
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile
The shelter knows me very well. I am a volunteer there and 3 of my dogs have come from there. They don't take the time to work with dogs. If it is aggressive, it is put down. If it is a chicken killer, it is put down. They are only open until 1pm so they would be left alone most of the day and night. If I had the money to pay someone else to take care of them, it would be a very skilled trainer, not the shelter. Or put in an ivisible fence.

I would never shoot them in front of my children. I too have witnessed that, but only when they were suffering and really needed the misery to end. (snakebite or hit by a car)

I did take her out the other day for training and of course she was an angel. They always are when I am there. I did kind of have a thought. You know those door alarms that sound off when you walk in? I have seen those in wal mart for not too much and I am gonna throw around some ideas to my DH.

I wish I could say that the chickens got out and it was them who tresspassed but that isn't the case. The chickens bodies littered the chicken yard and I found the dog inside my grow out pen I have for my teenagers. If only all my chickens free-ranged I might have more left. How ironic is that?

I have 2 problems with the chicken around the neck. First, it is just nasty and I would have to smell it every time I feed and water. Second, I am afraid the smell of rotting flesh will attract a predator. If I had heard more success stories I might consider it, but I have heard more stories of this not working vs working.

So I guess I will just keep up the training and see about investing in some alarms or something loud that would startle the dogs. Or an alarm connected to the house that I could hear when the dogs are trying to get in. OOO, baby monitors. I bet that would help me hear what is going on. Sorry, I am thinking out loud...so to speak..LOL.

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

Christina

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  10:03:38 AM  Show Profile
I have put down many animals thru the years , for many differant reasons. I HAVE NOT EVER put down a dog in front of my kids when they were little for any reason. There were told the truth about the dog thou. Also my kids grew up with normal Farm/Ranch life, which means butchering livestock, and learning how to do this properly, when they were mature enough. They have seen their Dad and I shooting varmints and stray dogs that were attacking livestock and they know that is the way it is. Nobody enjoys it, but sometimes, we have no choice.

Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree.

Christina

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  1:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Wow, I guess I live in an area where things are done differently. Our shelter has a program for wayward dogs called Rebound and even have training done through inmates at the local jail. They work very hard to find all pets a forever home and while they're not a no kill shelter they're not quick to put an animal down either. Two of our 3 cats were rescues from there and Missy had been there 2 months before we adopted her. We also have lots of no kill rescues here so I guess more options in my area. I surely didn't mean to ruffle any feathers but it seems so sad that your dogs may need to be put down. I was just hoping to give ideas for other options.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  2:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, We did have no kill shelters around here and other rescues, but even still , if they can not say without doudt, that that dog will not chase down and kill other animals, they will not except them into their programs. Once an animal has killed, it is extremly hard to break that taste. Also, some of these so called "no Kill Shelters", are also cruel in their own way, a 6 mon old dog is brought in for what ever reason, that dog is not adopted for 14 months, ( the economy has alot to do with it and also why so many rescues are over full), The pup is now 24 months old, and has spent the majority of its life in a 6 ft x 12 ft pen, how humane is that? The shelter here within my area, is so full, they are only holding dogs/cats for 3 days, instead of 7, and if its owner brought in, they are immediatly euthanized, no matter how great a pet they are, cause there is no room, and no more money to feed all the extras. It is a very, very sad situation, but, I would much rather know they were put down humanly, whether a shot or a bullet, than left to starve or dumped to be killed in many very painful ways. I am glad you live in an area that is able to house, feed, etc dogs til homes are found, but that is not possible everywhere. I learned, with much heartache, many years ago, you CAN NOT save them all.

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  2:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, it's the same way here as it is with Teresa's area. I wish there were other options, but there just aren't. It would be nice if pet owners would take more responsibility. If I get the licence number of someone dumping a dog and driving away here, i'm going to the sheriffs's office and making a big fuss. I get so tired of people thinking its ok to just dump a dog in the country. I have watched the trucks or cars drive off and the dogs are running and crying trying to catch up with them. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. I didn't intend to seem heartless either, I just can't afford any more dogs now. I wish we had more shelters, but the money isn't there. I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bad Dog! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page