Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Clothesline suggestion... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  09:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Do you love the just string it up between 2 trees or a more traditional post or umbrella type? I am getting my DREAM of a clothesline and I need some suggestions. Scott's uniforms are HEAVY, so I need something sturdy.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  09:42:39 AM  Show Profile
My clothes line is in the open, ( between trees you will get bird poop), my husband made it. He took 2in water pipe and welded a top cross of 4 ft, dropped the posts into cement, drilled 5 holes evenly spaced across the top and used lite weight stringer wire for the lines. It will hold an amazing amount of weight without sagging. I have hung many a king size quilts on it, without any problems. My clothes line is at least 25 years old now.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:28:16 AM  Show Profile
Heather

Congratulations on getting a Clothesline! I am anxiously awaiting mine :) I agree with Teresa about hanging from a tree. growing up my Mom's clothesline was too close to trees and we ended up with the clothes getting dirty from the birds and the Chokecherry tree nearby. I think you will probably want sturdy posts for Scott's uniforms. I don't think the Umbrella types are that sturdy.

Oh Teresa,

What a great idea! I really want a Clothesline too and was just thinking today of how we can make one. Sounds perfect! How tall are the two posts? What is lite weight Stringer wire? Sorry I have never heard of it before :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Jun 19 2009 11:36:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:40:58 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, The post are 6ft tall, from the ground up, and 2ft underground in the cement. Stringer wire is the wire they use on chain link fences at the top and bottom to keep the top and bottom taunt, I may be using the wrong name for it? It comes in differant gauges, I don't know the gauge number, sorry.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Teresa! I know what you are talking about now :) I don't know the name of it either.

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks!! I can't wait...every Friday, I wash bedding, rugs, bath mats and towels and I put them on my little porch on the railing but the problem is, I live in apartment complex, with my front porch facing a main drive thru. People have called me everything from trash to asking me if my dryer is broke or how poor we must be. Little do they realize, it is all a wall so they cannot see my panties and bras drying below them. : O

Heather

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:28:17 PM  Show Profile
I have mine between several trees all woven around and liked it that way. Now mine is in the backyard with the 2 metal t-posts in concrete with 3 lines. It gets real wet back there so the posts are sagging something awful/ I'll have to get the forked branches soon to hold up the middle.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristen, attach a guide wire from the back of each post and string out at a 45 degree angle and sink a short post at a backwards angle in cement and attach guide wire

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:59:27 PM  Show Profile
I like the clothesline out in the middle of nothingness. The sun hits them dead on without interruption. The birds can still poop on them, but its the price that could be paid for having one to enjoy. At the new house I will have to have an umbrella one, so I will see how we fair then. Aren't people crazy?!?! Was it really that long ago that almost everyone used the line vs the dryer...hmmm

Hope you will have fun whichever type you pick! :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  2:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Heather, you crack me up! I too have "hid" my private laundry from the neighbors eyes. I say, let them think what they want. You're living for your principles not theirs!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  4:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well around here in Texas, everything is bigger, including my bras...and that would probably cause a car accident...HA!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  4:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Heather...I DARE ya to take a pic for us of your big Texas bras blowin' in the wind!

Linda in Scranton, PA

The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  4:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
HA!! I just might next Friday!!! I actually have small hooks in the fence to hang them on...looks like I went out and caught me some double d's!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  5:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
hahaha, too funny!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  5:52:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a clothesline that is the umbrella type. That is all I can have because our housing association doesn't allow them. So I have to have it just in the middle of the back yard close to the house so when the little spy truck drives by they can't see it. I hate that but they aren't going to stop me from having my line.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  5:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh girls!!!

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  6:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
What is it with Texas not allowing clotheslines??? That is how it is here and I live in a "garden" apartment...obviously I ignore that and do as I please because it is so dang hot, I tell them I am saving the environment.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  6:11:19 PM  Show Profile
I love the smell of line dried clothes and linens, but we have such an over population of magpies and they have REALLY good aim =) So My clothes line comes in when I'm not using it to save on scrubbing the bird doo-doo off of it, but then again mine is tied between two trees...So I guess I'm askin for it!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  06:35:03 AM  Show Profile
You girls with housing associations and whatnot...have you ever thought of installing a "removeable" clothesline? That's what I have. One end of the line is tied to a eye hook attached to the side of our house, and the other end has a snap-shackle on it. When I want to put clothes out, I just run the end with the shackle to a tree across the yard with an eye hook in it and snap it on. When I'm done, I just unhook it and wind the line up on one of those figure-8 thingys (I can't remember what they're called). I got the idea from Martha Stewart; here's the link: http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/outdoor-clothesline?autonomy_kw=clothesline&rsc=header_1

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  06:45:06 AM  Show Profile
I thought about the removable one but when we moved into the house there were no trees. We have planted some but the yard is huge for a subdivision and there aren't any trees close enough. Also, I have always been a bit of a rebel and love the idea of putting one over on our association. We have one of the worst ones I have ever heard of. We even get letters if we leave our garbage cans out two nights in a row. My friend got one telling her her paint was fading and turns out it was the shadows from the tree. When we go to the post office to pickup the registered letters the clerks at the post office joke with us about how many letters come through there. It is awful. I break the dog and cat rule too. We are suppose to only have two of each and I have three great danes, a labrador mix and a border collie mix and 4 cats. They control what colors we paint to. I want a blue door but no they won't allow that. One day I am going to paint the house purple with green polka-dots and move out.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  07:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Beth, I LOVE the purple and green polka-dots idea!!!! LOL. I can just picture the reaction. : ) after living in Fla. where there were tons of HOA's, I'm glad to be back home in a small town with none of that, all though I'm not sure my neighbors would like the purple and green. LOL. they would probably just roll their eyes and say"bless their hearts" that's southern for "them folks are nuts". LOL.

I am still planning where to put my clothes line and convincing my hubby to build it for me. I admire all you rebels out there doing subversive things like hanging out your undies. : D

blessings ya'll. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  4:03:02 PM  Show Profile
I love hanging clothes outside but at the moment I have a line running between trees. One isn't too bad, short distance but the other.... well when your bloomers hit the ground it isn't a pretty site Hopefully we will get our real line up soon!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  7:56:07 PM  Show Profile
Who ever thought we would get to the day that hanging out clothes on a line was illegal? My daughter hung out her clothes last summer to cut down on the electric bill and her mil asked in a nice way if she thought she might be getting a little radical. All I have to say is "what has happened to common sense these days"? I spent my childhood at the clothesline. Remember when you knew when the neighbors had company or a baby in house by the clothesline? I can't wait to get mine going here.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:16:18 AM  Show Profile
If any of you get Countryside and Small Stock Journal Magazine, you can actually read how I do my laundry and hang clothes to dry in the newest issue. It is in response to an article written by a woman who takes too much time and adds to many steps to doing hers.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Debbie-
I read that article in Countryside! Didn't realize it was written by a farmgirl, but I should have, since it was good info, unlike the other woman who made hanging out clothing so complicated that had I never done it before I never would have tried it! I was thinking..."what? you have to organize everything inside and fold all the sheets and tablecloths up a certain way before you take them outside and hang them up?" Glad you wrote a much better article after that!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Clothesline suggestion... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page