Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Motorcycle Mama Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  7:00:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, I did it! I finished my beginner motorcycle class and passed! Wow! It's a lot harder than it looks! I took the class with my 15 year old. I love being a passenger and thought I would love driving too. After 3 days, I'm not so sure any more. I guess it's just all a matter of practice. Did a face plant into the dirt on day 2. Good thing I was close to the edge of the paved lot and not going 20 mph down the straight away. Hurt mostly my pride...oh, and my shin, and my wrist... So it's off to the dmv to take the written test (although I passed one for the class) on Thursday!

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  7:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Good for you!!! I got my motorcycle license two years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. I love to get on the bike and ride away from the kids...the messy house...etc etc etc...I have a little red Honda Rebel...great starter bike...
Be careful out there...ride smart...helmet..armored jacket etc...
Have fun fellow motorcycle mama

www.sundariyoga.com
http://yogifarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://jlogosso.etsy.com

Farmgirl Sister # 285
Sister on the Fly #1002
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  8:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Way to go! I must say you are much braver tahn I would be. LOL

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  9:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Congrats and way to go. I have been riding with my husband for 30 years now and have not gotten my permit ... yet. I did ride my daughter motorcycle around the yard last weekend and loved it. My husband, oldest daughter and 17 year old son all ride Honda's. I do too but on the back.
Tammyb chick #541
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  05:10:59 AM  Show Profile
Thats great!!! I want to get a bike too, my husband took me upto the high school parking lot last week to practice. It was my first time on one(by myself). I was doing really good with my circles and figure eights, til I lost my concentration and ran out of the parking lot into the soccer field. I got spooked and hit the brakes to hard and layed the bike down. I broke the mirror with my elbow, bruised my leg and hurt my pride too :) But I still want to go back for more...after we get a bike thats more my size. Good luck on your test! and be safe.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  05:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i adore motorcycles! i use to ride my stbx's kawasaki ninja. too much fun!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  07:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! That is amazing. You ladies are awe inspiring! You are so brave and courageous! Motorcycles scare me stiff so I respect those who have the guts to ride them! Have fun out there!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:19:55 AM  Show Profile
Theresa,
have fun out there. Don't forget your sunscreen.
If you feel like a long ride, come to visit us in Brighton
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  10:56:09 AM  Show Profile
Theresa:
I tried to hold up a motorcycle once. That was funny!
The thing almost crushed me! I love to ride, but not drive. LOL
Enjoy the riding.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  08:24:35 AM  Show Profile
hey Starmeadow,
You Go Girl!
I have had my lic for over 6 years...my 1st bike was a Honda 500, then I bought a Suzuki Murader 800. It was so front end heavy that I did not enjoy riding it. Soooo I sold it & bought a Yamaha V-Star 650 which was a blast to ride. But when the hubs & I decided to take early retirement we sold most everything that we did not need or did not want to spend a bloody fourtune on to ship up to Washington including the bikes. We figured after we get our 5 acres improved & landscaped then we would have time to ride again...we both are getting the erge but we need to stay focused.
Have fun, ride safe, ride smart & wear your helmet.
Biker Farm Babes are the Best! lol!
oh, we have an ATC 3-wheeler that we play on, on the property when we need a "fix"! lol!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jun 19 2009 08:26:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  10:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Best of luck on your test "T".
To me riding a motorcycle is the best way to clear the cobwebs out my head. Relax and breathe. Forget all the problems, stress and aggravations of my daily life!

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:42:52 AM  Show Profile
You go girl!!!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:53:24 PM  Show Profile
WOW! What a bunch of adventurous Biker Farm Babes!!! LOL. I have LOVED being a "rider" and thought I should "drive" my own.

Jenn, I looked at a Honda Rebel and really liked it. My "class" bike was a Suzuki 250 so it seemed right. BUT my hubby is driving a Honda V-4 Magna and that little Rebel wouldn't keep up. Then I sat on a Shadow....NICE....but sooooooo much bigger. AND I have short legs and it seemed a little wide? Anyway...then the sales guy took me over to a trade-in...a Suzuki boulevard S50. Fit very well but the size! (800cc).... Anyway....I'd like a smaller Magna than my hubby's. It's a mover/shaker and I need a moderate mover...LOL....

And Melissa....don't think I didn't put my fanny in the air at least once during class!!! I let my concentration on the clutch slip while I was in first. Luckily I was along side the dirt side of 7 acres of pavement and ate a little of it when the bike popped forward. Thought I could "carry it" away from the guy in front of me (we were in a line) and pulled the darn thing right down on top of me. Still don't know how I managed to bruise up my left shin!!! My instructor (about 6' 4" of Marine Sergeant!) literally picked the bike right up off me!!!

I have it in my head to go to Yellowstone in a couple summers....hmmmmm....we'll tent/motel it. I just need to find the right fit . I made a friend in class and she's hoping to get her bike (a Harley Sporster) next week. Too much for me, that one.... BUT she had actually plopped down a 1K deposit BEFORE she'd ever ridden. Mid-life and all that!!! I told her I'd meet her at the local HS parking lot and bring the first aid kit!

AND...for all of you worrying...don't think I would get on a bike without all the proper equipment! No way. I am still looking for a good pair of boots though. I bought a great looking pair online (SWAT boots) but the shank was too tall (fat calves) so I need something just over my ankles. BUT, my 9 year old LOVES them for his BMX bike!

Right now...everyone in the fam has a bike but me...waaaaaa....
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile
T,
I want something small to learn on a 250cc or even a 500cc. But I'm thinking my permanent bike will be the Boulevard S50. I sat on one at a dealership and it was so comfortable. It just fit me better than my husbands Vulcan. I just wish I had done this years ago instead of now when I'm a few years away from being 40! Oh well, better late than never! :) How did you do on the written test? Are you out celebrating with a nice ride?

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  3:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow way to go. My courage takes me as far as our ATV :-) After having it about 5 years I have finally driven it, don't have much choice now that we are starting to farm.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  4:17:05 PM  Show Profile
A few years away from 40??? Lucky you, Melissa...I just turned 49 yesterday! I was just two months out from delivering my youngest at 40....and he was an April Fool's baby! Go figure! I did like that S50. It was comfy like you say. I'm only 5'2" and finding something low but with a little oompf is kinda hard. I stopped by a friends house and she had taken the same class as I did (last summer) and she's on a 1400cc Harley!!! She says it's a dream to drive. I think I'll be sticking close to a 650 though. She and her husband are off to the UP at the end of July, all the way up through the Porkies, to Copper Harbor, then along Superior and back down past the Sault to the Straits. I've done that trip on the back end of a 650 but my fanny was about 25 years younger than it is now! ROTFL!!!! 10 days of wind/weather/and tent camping.....I must have been nuts. Oh yeah...I was young...that was it.
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  4:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Happy belated birthday! My hubby is thinking I should get a Honda Rebel 250 to learn on and drive that for a while. Then use that as a trade in on a Boulevard. I think that might be a pretty good idea. I don't want to chance laying down my permanent bike while I'm learning. :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:42:50 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking like that too. But my hubby doesn't agree. He thinks I'll out grow the Rebel in a couple months and be kicking myslef because I didn't get something bigger. Now, my girlfriend (who took the class last year) went right out and nabbed a Harley 1400cc (don't know the name of it) and she loves it! We learned on 250s...and she said that her Harley corners way better. I believe her words were "rides like a dream".... :-) I'm looking at a Honda Shadow 600 right now. At least in the next couple days. We'll see how that sets... Check out this website http://www.vtwinmama.com Lots of good info just for women riders. And this website http://ridemyown.com/ has a ton of links. Check out the link Just for Women Riders.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  12:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Don't start out to small. I had a 450 Honda, I loved it but keeping up with the guys was tough. All you need to do is practice and make sure you can hold the bike up right at a stop light. Once the wheels are turning it's very easy to balance. I had to quit driving my bike when I got Vertigo at age 56. I'm tempeted to get a bigger bike and try it again. I drove a bike for about 15 years and loved it all. I quit when my children were small and took it up when they got older. I believe it you don't want your kids to do it then you should do. I have tatoos my sons don't. I had my motorcycle my son's don't. The oldest one 30 yo has his licence (I took him) but he has student loans to pay off before he can get a bike.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Motorcycle Mama Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page