Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you think Farmgirls color their hair?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you think Farmgirls color their hair? Next Topic
Page: of 3

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  3:19:59 PM  Show Profile
What do you think? Are you truly a Farmgirl if you color your hair?

I say YES! Some of my friends think that you can't really be a true Farmgirl with artificial color in your hair. I don't imagine it's the healthiest behavior in the world...but it doesn't change my values in other areas.

I would love to hear your opinions.

Joyce

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  3:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't see any problem with that for sure...I bet more do than don't. I don't...but if I got alot of grey when I was young I would have.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  3:57:21 PM  Show Profile
I don't but you know I like the color of my hair and I am older than dirt and only have a little gray. My sister has colored hers for so long she doesn't even know what color it is. I think it doesn't change whether you are a farm girl or not. My goodness we are still "girls" and farm or not we should look the way we want too.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  4:01:15 PM  Show Profile
I lighten mine sometimes. As I've gotten older it has darkened a lot, and it makes me feel good to have lighter coloured hair...so, sometimes I do and sometimes I'm ok with my grey and auburn look. It depends on my whim of the moment =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  4:04:15 PM  Show Profile
This farm girl colors her hair!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  4:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Ditto, Kate! I may have dirt under my fingernails sometimes, but I'm still girly when I wanna be!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  4:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Ditto, Kate & Cherry!
I've been coloring my hair for about 3 years now & I'm still a farm girl!

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile
I have been a Master Cosmetologist for 28 yrs..I have been many colors in my career...Right now I have let my grey come through and put low lights (brown) throughout...
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  5:12:20 PM  Show Profile
I used to, but I don't anymore. I started getting grey hairs in my 20s. But when I turned 40, I thought to my self, I have earned everyone of them grey hairs, so now I am silver and dark honey, naturaly.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  5:13:33 PM  Show Profile
P.S., I am in my 50s now

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  9:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, this farmgirl colors her hair. In fact, I colored it today. I was looking like a skunk. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  12:14:04 AM  Show Profile
YESSSSSS this Farmgirl does, lol My regular color is a darkish brown, boring IMO! So 2 yrs ago I decided to go wild and have it colored in a nice mahogany red shade. But I have been doing it myself lately and it is a more reddish shade now. LOVE it, lol.

My mom colored (or I did it for her) till she was in her 80's!! I sometimes told her, mom stop now, it is getting too artificial looking for ya. But the "lady" she always was she really HATED grey lol. She did have a good color for her age though, not too dark and because I did it, it was not done "proper" if ya know what I mean. Some grey always shined through. I might stop in a few yrs time, I just don't like the grey on me now, not yet. Feel too young, duh (yes I am 52, lol)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  02:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
This farmgirl colors her hair every now and then when the mood strikes me or one too many gray hairs show up. I used to spend big bucks having my hair dresser do it but finally got gutty and tried a box job. Heck I couldn't pass it up it was on sale for 1.99....LOL Ya know what? I like it better than I did the expensive deal. Tucks lots of bux back in pocket...LOL

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  05:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Yea! Farmgirl doesn't have to mean mousy!

We all need a lift every now and again

There are natural colorants out there too for the gals who don't want the chemical.

For the summer, I decided to go crazy with a bottle of that Sun-in. I'll be like Joan Rivers and be completely honest and say well, YES I bleached it out...why not! There's nothing to hide. Luckily chlorine and sea water won't turn it green.

Someone made a nice comment the other day. I sad yup! We are going to the beach end of July and i needed a boost before then. The tan however is very real.....even though I slatehr on sunscreen every day!
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  05:18:33 AM  Show Profile
I sure do mine.. I started getting some gray hairs at 24. I only started coloring the last 5 years. I did start out using the semi-permanent now I do permanent or it doesnt last long enough. Was just to scared to go the other route at first. But I do it myself. Sometimes I let my gray roots show a bit before I do it again, but my hair just looks dull now unless I color it. Plus I love dark hair, so I do mine a dark chocolate color, just a bit darker than my own.

I think people have pre-conceived images of what they think a farm girl should look like or be. It's nice when you can prove them wrong!

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - FarmGirl~K on Jun 18 2009 05:19:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  06:33:02 AM  Show Profile
Blonde highlights. 2 colors of it.. 4 times a year..
Not ready to let go of the blonde yet.
Go to an Aveda salon, so there stuff is a little less harsh. No ammonia smell while I am sitting there colorizing..
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  06:43:24 AM  Show Profile
I don't, but I don't have to....yet. At 35, I've just started to find a few grays and when I find more than a few, I'll be heading to the salon :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  06:44:13 AM  Show Profile
well, this farmgirl sure does!! I think it was reddish blondish orange when I started, but you know, I'm not real sure now..lol
I don't feel less like a farmgirl with my colorful do!! lol

A very sweet lady once said "Farmgirl is a condition of the heart." ;) So I imagine it doesn't matter so much what you do to your hair or your face or anything like that. So long as you got farmgirl spirit in your heart, thats all that really matters. :)

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  07:46:55 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it voids your farm girl status, but I don't. After all, I earned every strand of this gray!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:13:33 AM  Show Profile
My hair started turning grey when my oldest son got his drivers license, 10 years ago. Then it turned more grey when my youngest son got his drivers license a year ago....lol... I used to color it. But, I started reading about all the haircoloring chemicals leaching it's way into your body through the pores in your head and I said, never again. I have very long hair and it took about 5 years for all the damage of years of coloring my hair to finally go away. Now, my hair is streaked with really light grey streaks. A cosmotologist friend of mine said, "Do you know how much women pay to get their hair streaked like that?"...so I felt much better about my decision. But I gotta admit I miss my long dark hair....

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Thank you all for your wonderful responses!

Well...I think I have a pretty good idea what the Farmgirls here think!
I SO agree! I have been coloring my hair for about the last 5 years. I started to get a bit of gray, high in the temple area at about 42. It wasn't very noticeable for quite a while, because I'm blonde. One day, I saw myself in a mirror outside and thought it was time to start covering the gray. I bought a drugstore brand and was so pleased that it was almost the same as my natural color.

Colored hair...and still a Farmgirl!
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:30:55 AM  Show Profile
I don't think colouring your hair cancels out being a true farmgirl. If it makes you feel pretty, go for it. I'd love to colour my hair but am allergic to commercial colourants (so am begining to grey gracefully at 37).

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Whoa Yeah,
I'm not going down without a fight.
Every five weeks, no matter what, I have even made my stylist promise to "Come to the home" and do my roots if it comes to that.
I had a dreaded b'day this year and getting rid of the grey makes me feel soooo much better.
I won't tell you which birthday because I can't even bear to say the number (but last year I was 59) lol
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Anne Marie,
There are a couple of all natural vgetablebased hair colors at my health food store, I have used them and they are pretty good.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I started coloring mine two years ago, when my marriage was going south. I did it burgundy and received so many compliments that I've kept it. Lately though, I have been having concerns about the chemicals. I have tried henna, but by the second day, the color disappears on me. My hair is totally resistant to perms and colors. The burgundy dye is the first brand that actually shows up on my dark brown hair! (Feria chocolate cherry) I otherwise would have to bleach it, then color it. Talk about damage! So I am still debating whether or not to go back to natural, but not because color makes me less of a farmgirl. I put my overalls on just like those natural no makeup girls do. :)

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I color my hair too. Without color my hair is almost white and I am only 54. I color it myself though. I use permanent color and do it about once every two months. My toenails are painted a beautiful shade of pink with dirt under them most of the time. Couldn't be happier!

Peapicker
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you think Farmgirls color their hair? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page