Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 "Recession Cooking" Anyone doing it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Recession Cooking" Anyone doing it? Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:19:21 AM  Show Profile
I've always been frugal at home, but since there are only two of us, I always make dinner for just "us", but now, I'm trying to make some things that stretch a bit (tomorrow, it's Red Beans and Rice in the crockpot)...

What are some of your favorite stretcher meals?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I cook like that all the time, so much in fact, that I can't think of anything special right now. However when we have beans (pinto) and Rice, I freeze the leftovers and later make refried beans and spanish rice to go with tocos.

One of my favorite things to do is make a batch of 1 oz meatballs. A 2 pound pkg of hamburger makes 32. I bake the meatballs, freeze them on a cookie sheet then bag them. I use them for spag/meatballs, Sweet and sour meatballs, meatballs with fresh mushroom gravy, (not canned) or dump B-B-Q sauce on them for a sandwich.

Another thing, which is very time consuming, I buy the 10 lb bags of chicken hind quarters when they are on sale. Most of the time (on sale) we can get them for 39 cents a lb. I take apart the legs and thighs, cut the back part from the thigh, throw them in a pot. Some of the thighs, I skin and debone. The pot full of bones, and skin, I simmer for a couple of hours, strain, and package in 2 cup containers for chicken broth as needed. I can get 6-8 meals and all the chicken broth we need for $3.90.
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
OK - don't laugh! One of my local grocery stores almost always has the Helper boxed meals on sale, with coupons I can sometimes get them for as little as 50 cents a box. There is one for chicken, chicken enchilada - I make as directed, but add black beans and a little more chicken than is called for. I too am cooking for 2 of us, so I have plenty to freeze for meals later. I use this in a wrap with lettuce, onions and sour cream, with a little homemade salsa. So even with the chicken and black beans and the condiments added, I have at least 3 pretty "cheap" meals. Both hubby and I are diabetic, so sometimes instead of using the rice included in the box, I substitute chopped cauliflower flowrets - we don't even miss the rice, and I purchase a tortilla that is 8 net carbs, diabetic friendly and yummy. Red beans and rice is also a favorite - will you share your recipe Jenni?

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  11:56:35 AM  Show Profile
I love the meatball idea (and so will Justin because he lOOOOOOves meat!!) I have to learn to make my freezer my friend. I do freeze some things, but I'm just not that creative when it comes to freezing whole meatloafs, or something like that.

Great idea, Gail--I won't laugh. Hamburger helper got my husband and I through the earliest part of our marriage--that and boxed mix macaroni and cheese with a can of tuna :) That's such a great idea to put into wraps with the extra fixin's--I would have NEVER thought of that!

I'd be glad to share my recipe...it's actually my daddy's, who is gone from us now, but he was from Tioga, Louisiana and he could sure cook!!! I put mine in the crockpot, but I suppose if you had the time, you could simply use a dutch oven and cook for about 2 hours.

*1 lb. dried red beans. I use real "red beans", but I suppose you could susbstitute kidneys if reds are hard to find in your area. Reds are just a nice small bean with good flavor.
2-3 links smoked or andouille sausage for kick, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 pieces of bacon, chopped fine and sauteed
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 bay leaves
1 tblsp dried thyme, crumbled
2 tsps. dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne or to taste (with andouille, go a little easy)
2 tbsp. tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste (again, with sausage go a little easy on the salt)
4 cups of stock (I use pork based stock, but vege would do as well)
tobasco to taste

1. Soak beans overnight

2. Cook bacon until medium brown and fat is rendered; remove bacon with slotted spoon to drain
3. Add onion and sausage to bacon grease and saute until onion is translucent and sausage browned.
4. Put beans in bottom of crockpot, then add onion, sausage and bacon pieces. Add remaining spices and ingredients and cook over low for approximately 8 hours.

Ladle over rice and serve with corn bread with honey butter.

Some folks cook their rice in the red bean mixture, but Daddy never did, so I don't either. No rhyme or reason, I just do what he did :)

Let me know if you try it, Gail...it's a year round favorite at our house. We even used to have it for Christmas dinner when I was little!!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  12:07:27 PM  Show Profile
I love this!
I freeze everything. I freeze bread. I buy it on sale, and freeze it. I also found out that the quilted glass jelly jars (BALL) are freezable, so I can freeze in them too. I have chicken necks/backs in the freezer that I make dumplins with. I save everything. I mash up beans to thicken stews. I freeze my strawberries, blackberries, bluebs, and tomatoes whole. I freeze cookies/cakes and sweet breads. Yep. I'm recession cooking alright!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  12:09:58 PM  Show Profile
See, like I said, I have to make my freezer my friend. I have heard tell that you can freeze bread, but I don't. And milk the same, but I don't.
And you freeze your tomatoes whole? The only "sweet" thing I freeze is pie crusts. I make them in bulk and then thaw to make pies...but I've never frozen cakes or cookies before.

I gotta figure this all out...

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  12:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Make your stuff and put in in ziploc freezer bags. That's all I do. When I was little, we used to freeze milk, but I dont do that. Hubby works on a dairy farm and if its ONE day past the date, he dumps it all out... so freezing milk would go over like a lead balloon. I freeze the tomatoes whole. If I'm just gonna use them for sauce, and stews, or juice them, they dont have to be perfect. However, you can't slice a thawed tomato...too mushy. Cakes, I've frozen, thawed and then frosted. Brownies too...however, a frozen brownie is an awfully good treat! If it stands still.. it may end up in the deep freeze!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  12:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Cookies are fabu frozen. I freeze milk all the time, cheese, butter, etc. We live a ways out and the local store is worthless as far as having anything. If I didn't freeze milk we would have to go without a lot. I wish I had my own milk cow. We have two upright freezers, they are great. I've been depression cooking my entire life, lol. We love beans and eat them at least once a week, sometimes two or three times.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile
All stews, soups, chilli, I always make 4-5 times batch, and then freeze into dinner portions. These are great for the real busy times here on the ranch/farm, when if I had to cook dinner, we would be eating at dawn, LOL. Redbeans and rice is a favorite here, along with dirty rice. nothing is wasted here, eaten by us or the dogs, chickens, hogs etc, or, put in the compost piles, or donated to our local food bank. I cook hardy, but no waste ever.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  1:26:19 PM  Show Profile
It's more economical to make your meals from scratch and in quanity and freeze them if you have the room. It's just my husband and I but I still make alot and freeze whatever it might be. Cause the kids still llike to come and eat over here especially on a birthday or holiday. I make about 8 qts. of pasta sauce and freeze what I don't need. I also freeze cakes, breads and muffins. When my granddaughter is over I have made a batch of homemade dollar size pancakes and put them in a ziplock. Freezing meatballs is great also. What ever is left over I freeze.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  1:56:51 PM  Show Profile
If you're looking for a great cookbook full of freezer meals. I suggest "Fix,Freeze, Feast" by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik. It is awesome! I spent an afternoon fixing "freezer meals. I ended up making 12 meals all together, and it took me 3-4 hours. I found the book on sale at Amazon.com for $9.99!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  2:03:16 PM  Show Profile
I've always froze bread and buns, otherwise I'd be at the store every other day. I used to freeze milk, then I stoped and now I can't get back to it. The taste is off and I just don't. I try to buy enough ahead. Chili and roast I always freeze the leftovers. The roast makes good straganoff (sp) or BBQ sandwiches. If I make 2 pans of enchilladas and there are left overs those go in the freezer too.

I've done cakes and pies, but didn't eat those so I don't know how they came out. Sent them up to cow camp for the guys up there. They don't care what it tastes like, as long as it's sweet! I froze cookies and muffins for branding this year. The cookies were ok, but the muffins really got frezzer burn and mushed up fast. My pie crusts are in the freezer too Joni, I make them up 4 at a time. Butter too, I stock up when it's on sale. Some times the cook at the feedlot freezes bottled pop for the guys lunches, but I'm too afraid of it bursting on me. Or when they go to open it! I'll freeze shredded cheese but block cheese crumbles up on me.

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hill farm lady
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Sherry
Chelsea VT
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  2:31:55 PM  Show Profile
My five have all flown the coop and now it is just my husband and I--except summers when a college-bound son is home! He can eat like I don't know what so I resort to the most filling, economical meals I can. Rice and beans are a favorite of all of us! And now that it is summer I can make homemade salsas to go with them. I freeze a LOT of stuff from the garden. I have a ton of spinach and there is a great spinach casserole in Rodale's STOCKING UP cookbook that freezes well. Also, spinach lasagnas freeze well. I freeze all the berries and fruit that I can because they make winter desserts really special. Strawberry rhubarb pie in January is the best!!

Happy summer canning--and freezing!

From Vermont,
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  3:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I freeze more than I would like to. I'm hooked on my dehydrator - I dry everything! You've never had banana chips until you dry your own, lemme tell ya! Or dried strawberries... When I am sick of making tomato sauce and paste in summer I chop them down for dried tomatoes - throw in a little salt and oregano and WOW I could eat those all day.

Being vegetarian helps a lot with the budget. Meat is expensive (and cheese, since I can't have dairy), and now we rely on our garden more than ever to supply our dinner. Nothing goes to waste here either. Dogs get any leftovers we don't feel comfortable eating anymore, but more often than not, I freeze part of the meal or we eat it three nights in a row with a different side dish. With my vegan enchiladas, we'll have spanish rice one night, and I'll finish the rice for lunch, then cornbread another night...

Soups are the poor kitchen's best friend. It's so easy to make a HUGE pot of soup and feed an army, or freeze 3/4 of it lol.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile
greyghost, if you can get asian pears ( sometimes known as apple pears, since they are round) in your neck of the woods, dehydrate them, they are wonderful. I go to a u-pick every sept and pick them, dry most and then throw them in the freezer in small ziplocks, great sweet snack. I make fruit leather out of cherrys, apricots and plums mixed, yum yum

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  5:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Believe it or not.... I've never had red beans and rice. Now I wanna try some!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  05:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh my goodness! You're in for something wonderful! My mom had a friend who had never eaten them before (Nawtherners!!!) and she couldn't get enough--she called them "laripin" which meant super wonderfully amazingly delicious in some lingo...

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  06:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Jonni - ty for the Red Beans and Rice recipe - I am not able to get andouille in my area, but I will try another good sausage that we like. A visit to your blog introduced me to your beautiful daughter, Violet, I know what a treasure she is to you. As a grandmother of 7, and mother of 3, I can imagine the pride, love and enjoyment you have for your beautiful daughter.

Have a great day.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  07:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so very much for the lovely compliment to Violet...she is truly a blessing. Congratulations on your seven grands and 3 wonderful children--I just never knew how changed my life would be for the better!

And yes, almost any smoked or sweet sausage will work. I think my poppa even used ham hocks and ham pieces when he had them on hand.

Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  08:21:16 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree ANYTHING with beans, rice, quinoa (high in protein)it filling nutritious and frugal. I eat vegetarian and simply most of the time ...but my son is home from college for the summer and that changes everything. The grocery bill really goes up with his frozen pizzas, all the milk and I am a total sucker for the kid : ) Anyway, last night I made a dish using rice as the base. I fried some onions and garlic in butter...then threw in some left over sausage, a bit of white wine, vegetable broth and rice...let it cook around 30 mins then tossed in some greens from the garden, really a huge mix of kale, spinnach, arugala and baby asian mix. It is enough to feed my son and I for at least 4-6 meals at about $1-1.10 a serving. Of course that is not considering my time spent growing the greens and the garlic.

Sherry from Chelsea...I live in Waterbury Center you are the closest "farm-girl" I have seen on MaryJanes!!! Welcome!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  04:08:43 AM  Show Profile
WOW!! I am still flabergasted that you can get chicken for .39 cents a pound!! That's amazing . the cheapest that I have ever seen it is 2.99 a pound

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  04:26:38 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to add my "recession cooking" tip. For the month of June I said to myself that I will only "shop" form my house. My freezer is full and pantry too. I have my own egg laying hens so I don't have to buy eggs and we have dairy cows so I don't have to buy milk. All I am buying from the store is fresh fruit, and fixin's for salads. since nothing is growing in my area of the world right now LOL!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  06:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Melanie! I sure do wish I had hens. That would be the BEST. And of course, dairy cows. But then, I'd never get anything done because I would always be hanging out with the critters.

When do things start growing in PEI?

Go to Top of Page

SpiritedRose
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Chestertown MD
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:55:59 AM  Show Profile
Buy main stables in bulk is helpful. Also, look for "discount" or "ding and dent" stores. They sell food products that just have a little dent or something that doesn't damage the food. They sell at really cheap prices in general. (Dog food, too!)

Cheesemaker with a supportive husband,
Registered Jersey breeder, AKC Akita breeder, and friend of two favorite cats!

spiritedrose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:59:48 AM  Show Profile
We've been trying to cut our food costs too and making meals stretch. We use our freezer alot and stock up when we can so we can minimize our trips into town for groceries. One tip I loved was when your bananas go too soft to want to eat, but you don't have time to use them for banana bread, pop the bananas whole in the freezer. Then when you have what you need for making banana bread, thaw the bananas on the counter, cut off the tops and the banana goo just slides right out into the mixer, no mashing needed. I do this a lot so that I can bake several loaves at once and then pop the bread in the freezer. It works great!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  09:02:31 AM  Show Profile
Great idea about the bananas Alyssa Marie!!! I have some rotting on my table that I'll do that with tonight!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Recession Cooking" Anyone doing it? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page