Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 "Recession Cooking" Anyone doing it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Recession Cooking" Anyone doing it? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  8:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow I love this post. I'm trying the red beans and rice ( or maybe I'll make that black beans) :)
I bake / make and freeze alot ... mostly 30 meals at a time. I can during harvest time all I can get my hands on, dry some things and bulk buy when I can. I thought this was called survival shopping / baking !!! But I like recession cooking better :) Love all the tips girls. Keep this tread going.
Tammyb
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  04:27:45 AM  Show Profile
ahhhh, the growing season in PEI is very short. people put their gardens in around The beginning of June (unless they have a green house) so it will be a long time coming!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  07:16:44 AM  Show Profile
If you shop in the grocery stores - shop early, early in the morning when they are putting their meats and produce at mark-down prices.
Check out www.savingdinner.com - she has great recipes and even sends you the weekly shopping lists! Her frugal menus are some of the best.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  07:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Recession Cooking, Depression Cooking, Survival Cooking, I think your age and area of the country probably have an effect on how you see it. My mom raised a family of 6 children pretty much by herself. I am the oldest - since this thread started I have been thinking a lot about those growing up years in the 50's and 60's. My favorite meal was homemade dumplings, homemade bread and canned apples. We never (the kids) thought we were poor or did we ever go without anything we needed. My mothers lessons in frugality and depression cooking served me well in my years as a young wife and mother. I applaud all that embrace a way of life that protects our earth, health and pocketbook. You go girls!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  08:37:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that link, Pam. I am determined to get all that I can from our harvest, as well as the foraging we do (wild brambles for jams--good for us, and for Christmas gifts!) and pears (good for mulled wine for Christmas gifts!) and dry all my herbs. Thing is with those, I need some jars and can't seem to find them anywhere.

You know, Gail, My father was born in 1923, and he really knew how to stretch a dollar--he was orphaned, and worked on the racetrack as a jockey (i.e. VERY poor) until WWII gave him 3 square meals a day...well, in boot camp, anyway. And my mom was raised very much like you in the late 40's and 50's--they had nothing. My gram worked 3 jobs (and walked to each of them) because her husband bailed on them, and she wasn't much of a cook. But you know what my mother's favorite "comfort" food is, still to this day? Macaroni and Milk. Literally cooked macaroni in hot milk, like a soup with butter and salt & pepper. This was a staple in their house, and they ate it frequently when there was nothing else. Funny, at 61, she will still want it when she "can't think of what to eat" or when she's feeling poorly, or sad about something. I eat it too--one of my favorite dishes as a child, because my mom made it for me, and my grandmother made it for her.

I am so grateful for these women who came before us and left their mark on the way we run our homes and our hearts!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:12:16 PM  Show Profile
I haven't really changed the way I cook. Mostly cooking from scratch is just the way it's done. We've always canned, frozen or pickled anything that isn't still moving.

Our garden is bigger this year, on purpose, with an eye toward preserving even more and giving some to the food bank. Two or three years ago I started using a dehydrator more. That's been fun.

A few of my favorite things are--tomatoes--canned, frozen, and oven roasted(yum), parched corn(very versatile) and I freeze pie fillings in the shape of the pie plates or pans, pop them out, wrap and stack them up in the freezer. Very convenient. This year we're going to do some roasted peppers too my DD says.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea about the pie filling...VERY inventive, and a great space saver!

After you oven roast your tomatoes, do you eat them that way, or do you freeze them?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:52:31 PM  Show Profile
I freeze them in ziplock bags. Then I reconstitute them in a little water and add to spaghetti sauce and lasagna.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  05:39:01 AM  Show Profile
Lots of great ideas ladies!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Recession Cooking" Anyone doing it? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page