CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  09:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Ya'll, my poor little min-pin chihuahua is allergic to flea bites! I took him to the vet and he's now taking an antibiotic to help heal up the places where he's scratched sores on himself and Temaril to help with the allergy. I've tried natural remedies to rid my dogs of fleas, but found that nothing works for them as well as Advantix. (We live in the middle of 39 wooded acres and need something really strong or we'd be infested in no time!)

But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a natural shampoo or dip I can use for him to help with the itching? I feel so bad for him even though he cracks me up because he's the right height to get a good back scratch on our bedframe. He looks so funny with just his little butt sticking out from under the dust ruffle as he rocks back and forth against it! And he makes these "hit-the-right-spot" noises that are too cute! Still, I know he's miserable and I want to help the little fella out.

Any suggestions?

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Try rubbing him all over with bounce dryer sheets, also there is an all natural product made with orange oil, avalible at trader joes, whole wheatery, etc. Brewers yeast fed to him with also help repel

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:32:08 AM  Show Profile
I always found that a colodial oatmeal shampoo worked well for the itching (I can't think of the name of the company I've used) but any good oatmeal pet shampoo should soothe his skin a bit.

I hear ya about the advantix, though. Our cat, Stooka, is just like your little pup and she was actually in shock one year with flea bites. Terrible. Test after test (and a prescription for a million dollar food) they determined she had no allergies except to fleas. Her hair came off in strips...it was devastating and terrible for her.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  4:23:07 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a picture of your Pin-chi? Please? MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  4:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, ya'll! I think I'll go down to Tractor Supply tomorrow and see if they have something with oatmeal. I've used oatmeal for us but didn't think about using it for the pups.

And here you are Mary Beth! My beautiful baby girl, Lauren, and the little dog, Harley.

And this is the big dog, Emma.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  7:08:50 PM  Show Profile
There is a shampoo developed by NASA that is all natural and it is great for itching. Tricky part is that it is for horses. However, NASA uses it for people and it is safe for dogs and cats. It is called Micro-Tec.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  9:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I have heard of Micro-tek before too and heard it is great stuff. Havn't used it on my dogs. I was thrilled to find that when we moved here there weren't fleas. None. It is awesome! We would get them so bad where I lived before (calif) that we always had to use advantix on the dogs and cats. I never could find a better solution back then.
Your dogs are so cute. The big one is totally my type of dog! Someday! I have bassets and will always have one but I would love a big old Bernase Mountain dog or golden someday too. Your little guy looks like he is just full of personality..what a cutie! And your daughter is beautiful! I hope you find something to help the poor little guy with the itching!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  06:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Many min-pins are allergic to fabric softner so be careful with those dryer sheets!!!! Seems they have sensitive skin. We have labs that just plain have skin issues and I use an oatmeal shampoo on them. Tried one with cedar in it by accident and it drove them and us nuts. Dogs can take Benedryl so ours get two with each meal and it does help.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  06:58:39 AM  Show Profile
Cherry, thanks for the pictures. Harley is cute and Emma looks happy AND your baby girl is beautiful. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  07:19:43 AM  Show Profile
NO FLEAS?!?! Wow, Jenny, Utah must be that much closer to Heaven 'cause I'm convinced there are no annoying bugs there and fleas are right up there at the top of the list! And thank you, my dogs are my babies and my baby girl is my heart! Well, Harley belongs more to the hubs, but still...I've never really been a little dog person until I brought him home. And you're right about his personality! He's a thief! I store blankets under our bed and he's rearranged all of them and created what we call his "lair" and he steals things and hides them in the blankets. About once a week I have to drag all of it out to clean things out and wash the blankets! I've found some pretty weird things under there!

But my big dog, Emma, is my angel! If you'll indulge me, I'll tell you the great story of how she found me!

The hubs and I were separated and I was staying at a friends house. One of our many hurricanes had just come through and there were reports all over of animals being found miles away from their homes. Well, my friend and I were on her front porch, enjoying our morning coffee, when we saw two dogs at the end of her looooong drive-way. As we sat there, the two dogs slowly, submissively made their way up the drive. Both were starved to death. You could see all of their bones, especially Emma because she'd been shaved from her front haunches back. They were so pitiful, but so beautiful. The were obviously brother and sister. The had identical markings, but reversed coloring. My friend immediately got bowls of food and water and sat them down near the dogs. The little boy dog wouldn't eat until Emma had and she left both food and water in the bowl for him. We were amazed because they were both so obviously starved! Ya'll we fell hard and fast for these dogs and the sweet way they were with each other!

I was to move back to my home that day and my friend told me that I had to have a dog, living out here in the sticks and by myself now, and that if I would take both dogs, she'd take them to the vet for their initial visits. And I agreed. She took them next day and I went and picked them up from her. Once I got them home, they sniffed around, then made a spot under my back deck. They seemed to be doing poorly, with no energy, but I attributed it to them being near starved to death. I mixed them up some scrambled eggs and rice and fed them and after a while went to bed. The boy dog woke me up in the middle of the night howling. I went to check on them and Emma was obviously near to dying. I sat out with them the rest of the night, trying to spoon feed water to her. I heard the coyotes and was so scared that they could sense that she was close to death. So the next day, I called my soon-to-be-ex and had him bring me a shotgun. He helped me move Em into his shop so I could keep the coyotes off her. I spoon-fed water to her all day and by the end of the day she seemed to be doing better. She wouldn't stand for too long, but she would hold her head up for longer and longer periods of time. By the 2nd night, I felt she'd be on the mend and I was feeling all kinds of anger towards whoever had done this to these precious animals! But I felt comfortable leaving them for the night.

The next morning, I went out to check on them and, you'll never believe this, the boy dog was dead. I was absolutely stunned! He had seemed okay, just worried about Emma, whimpering over her and licking her and nudging the food bowl towards her. And now here he was. It was like he had waited until he knew that Em would be okay. My friend came and helped me to bury him and I took Em to MY vet to have her checked again. The absolute saddest part of this whole story is that the boy dog didn't have to die. My vet told me that the other vet shouldn't have given the dogs all of these vaccinations and such when they were in such a weakened state of health. Their sick bodies just couldn't handle it.

But dear, sweet Emma has been by my side ever since. That was in '04 and I have never had a pet in all my 39 years like her. I swear she can read my mind. There were times during my divorce that I truly thought I'd lose it if not for her. Her chocolate brown eyes are so expressive and I can literally feel the love she has for me when she stares at me. When the hubs and I got back together, it was really funny watching the two of them claim their "ownership" of me! She really distrusted him and it took a while for him to earn her affection. She would constantly try to get between the two of us. One day he and I were playing around and she misunderstood and came really close to tearing him up! The worst adjustment was the bed. I had let her sleep with me, on his "side" of course, and once he was back in the house she was none too happy to give it up! But we worked things out and are all happy now. She still looks to me whenever he tells her to do something, which annoys him to no end, but I secretly love!

Kathy, what size are your dogs you give Benedryl to? I'm wondering if I should adjust the dosage for Harley. He weighs 17 lbs.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  07:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Just for a comparison, ya'll, Emma weighed 32 pounds when she found me. She now weighs 78, a perfect weight for her frame. What a story, huh?

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  07:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Cherry...I don't have much time to post right now, but I loved your story about Emma....it reminds me so much of my Lily, who is now gone from me. So much similarities, even down to the divorce!

Question: can cats take Benadryl?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  11:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Cherry Love the story of how Emma found you, I always think it works out best if they pick us. My boys are 90lbs. each, and could have more benedryl if they need it up to 4 times a day. The vet is the one that said to use it so I know it's safe and they don't have any side affects from it like people do. I tell everyone that they own us and operate us and it's really really true. We have even purchased vehicles based on them.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  2:12:07 PM  Show Profile
I love the story about Emma too, Cherry....that is so awesome. You two were meant for each other..as it should be.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  4:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Jonni, I'm so sorry about Lily!! I tell the hubs ever so often to be prepared that when it's Em's time to go, I will be a horrible mess! There are no words to describe them, are there? It's almost a spiritual connection. And I truly believe that when we make it to the other side, they'll be there waiting for us!

I don't know about cats taking Benadryl though. Do you have a vet you can ask?

And thank you, Kathy and Jenny! I love my own story about how Emma and I met one another. I often wonder how my life would be if the little boy dog had lived. I'd already named him Tucker and it was so sad, having to bury him. Especially after I learned that he didn't have to die! Some vets are so irresponsible. This one was just after money and fortunately, my friend quit using him over this.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Poor little fella.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page