brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  8:01:16 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in. We have a compost pile at the back of our two-acre suburban lot, and our neighbor puts his grass clippings on it.

He asked if he could put his clippings in the pile, and I told my husband "not if he treats his lawn with chemical weed killers" and I know they do, but they put their grass clippings there anyway. My husband thinks my organic ideas are silly anyway, so I'm not sure what he might have said to the neighbor to give them permission.

Last week I noticed dog poop at the edge of the pile. (they have a golden retriever) It was just before they had a party, so perhaps they were just cleaning up the yard and it was a one-time only thing, so I haven't mentioned anything.

Tonight the neighbor's wife stopped my husband as he was mowing the lawn and wanted to know if it was possible that the reason their dog threw up all over their porch was because he had gotten into "my" compost pile. There was hot dogs and Cheerios in the mess.

The only thing I put into my compost pile is vegetable stuff from my kitchen, and maybe egg shells and weeds from my garden and yard waste. Any hot dogs and Cheerios probably came from their traash.

Why is this woman blaming me for her dog throwing up? Why didn't she ask me? (She accused me of putting pig manure in my compost a few weeks ago when there was an odor in the neighborhood)

We live outside of town but it is "suburban". I have a "farmgirl" bumper sticker on my car. I'm overweight, she's not..She is very "au courant". Does she think I'm a country bumpkin because I'm a farmgirl?

Anyway, the main reason I am posting this is because I want to make sure she doesn't continue putting dog waste in my compost. How do I approach her? Should I put a hand-lettered sign "no pet waste, please" near the compost pile? Or talk to her about compost? (She would be bored)

She seems to like my husband, he helped when their sump pump quit working, he helped when the wind blew down a tree, he helped when we lost power and their generator didn't work, he helped when.....numerous other issues have happened for them.. Her husband is a CPA and NOT handy.

When we last went on vacation DH asked them to get our mail daily. When he went to get the mail, it was in a Victoria's Secret shopping bag. I don't have any fears about my husband, but I don't know why she would do this...

I work full time, and she works only part time. She has time to lounge in the back yard and work on her tan...she has no interest in compost piles or gardening.

What's the best way to approach her about putting dog poop in my compost pile?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  9:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Putting the sign you mentioned would work. I hope. If not, get a shovel and throw the poop make onto her lawn.
Good luck with the neighbor woman. Keep us posted on what happens.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  03:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh brother. I feel your pain and in no way miss the 'burbs for just these kinds of neighbor issues.

I wouldn't sweat the Vickie's Secret bag. Toss it if it bothers you.

For the compost thing if she has a better relationship w/ your hubby, maybe he can talk to her. If it were me, I'd do it myself, but would also probably end up "loosing " her in the quest to educate on the nuances of composting.

You can always ask nicely and just explain that carnivore waste does not break down as well as vegitable material. Please dispose of your dog waste where neither of us has to see it.You can tell her when copmost piles decompose correctly, there usuaslly is no "bad smell" especially if it is turned once a week.

If they continue to put the poop on your pile after YOU ask them not to very nicely, I would also fling it back into their yard, or better yet, bag it up in a clear sandwich bag (gross I know) ring the bell and hand the bag to back to them re-stating the obvious. Thy'll think you flipped, but may get the point.

Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  05:37:52 AM  Show Profile
I need some coffee this morning - I know I'm sub-human before I have it. My first thought was to collect her dog waste and return it in the Victoria's Secret bag. Since you're the one concerned about the compost pile (and are probably the one managing it), you should feel perfectly justified in setting the guidelines. I would give her a little hand written list of things they can add with a sweet comment of, "If it's not on the list, it doesn't belong there." When you find stuff that doesn't belong (I have a feeling they're doing this on purpose), bag it up and return it.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  05:56:20 AM  Show Profile
I think Anna and I would probably end up watching her eyes glaze over explainig the processes of composting to her.

I would simply say, "you know, I got to thinking a few days ago, after you'd ask me if your dog could have gotten into the compost pile and gotten sick, that it might be a good idea to let everyone who is utilizing the pile to know WHAT actually DOES go in, and what doesn't." Then give her nice, concise list. And if you find dog poo in there again, scoop it up and throw it back in their yard.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  06:01:08 AM  Show Profile
Just talk to her, don't make assumptions. Its better to keep an open mind and be sincere and friendly and keep good relations with your neighbors. Just my two cents.

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

SpiritedRose
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Chestertown MD
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  08:24:09 AM  Show Profile
I'd take out anything you don't want in there and throw it in the trash to begin with so you don't ruin your compost.

Is there any way you could put a firm screen over the top with a small combination lock so that only you can use it?

I have to agree with Merry, whatever your personal feelings, it's always best to try to get along with your neighbor. If you find you can't agree on things, then it's probably best to talk it over with your husband and maybe you two can agree to not get too involved with your neighbors, even down to sharing compost.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  9:57:56 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Spirited Rose,Merry and February Violet... keep your cool and keep your compost bin going. You may need to ask them not to put anything into the compost for a "few weeks" so you can clean it up, that may lead to a conversation about composting. But don't loose heart!
Tammyb chick #541
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  06:00:52 AM  Show Profile
You all are so right - the best thing to do is to do what you can to have good relationships with all your neighbors. (but I'd still hang on to that VS bag just in case! - LOL!) You may end up motivating her to be a gardner - okay, we can hope...

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  06:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh, but Pam, I truly enjoyed that visual of returning the poop in that bag!!

My first thought, too, was to have your hubs talk to them, Brenda, but not if he doesn't appreciate your compost pile and respect your request that no chemically treated clippings by put in there. Is he totally on-board with your composting?

Could you move your pile to an area that isn't so easily accesible to the neighbors?

Or could you pass along flowers or veggies that have benefited from your composting? The little scenario playing out in my mind is you with a basket of gorgeous veggies ringing their doorbell and when little missy accepts your neighborly gift and is ooohhing and aaahhing over such produce-not-found-in-stores, you tell her how you're able to grow such wonderful delights only with the help of your wonderful composting and why it's so important that it remains "pure". Just a thought. I think if she's able to physically appreciate the benefits of composting, she might understand it better.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Brightmeadow, This is why I could never live in town, there are WAY TOO MANY nasty people. I'm afaid my suggestions would be really something you could not print here, so I say good luck with the neighbors, you will probally need it.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  03:40:22 AM  Show Profile
OH YEA! Poop in the bag, now THAT' s a great one!

But seriously, it is best to maintain those decent neighborly relations.

I like the list idea. If it 'aint on it, don't add it
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  06:08:47 AM  Show Profile
Brenda... I'd definitely post a sign of what CAN go in the compost pile.. better yet. What if you had 2 buckets you placed outside, 1 labeled for food waste, the other for grass clippings. Lock your compost bin. That way you have the choice of what goes in there. Your untreated grass trimmings & any food you see fit. Or let them know the pile's getting big enough at this point & you'll only be adding your household leftovers to the bin. Thanks for your "contribution" til this point.

Letting the dog poop slide once is one thing, but if its more than that they need to know nicely that you're not waste management. We live in a suburb & had a neighbor that would let her dog poop on everyones lawn & not pick it up. We got tired of it one day after I stepped in it as I was leaving for work. We scooped some into a grocery bag & flung it on their lawn one night while driving by. We never had poop on our front lawn after that! Of course they werent sure which neighbor did it in our case. They got the point w/o us having to confront them.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Compost issues and neighbors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page