Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday morning (Sunday) we got an early morning phone call. It was the Post Office, a distribution center, not our post office. They said our chicks were there and would get very hot in the building because they don't run the AC on weekends. We could come get them if we wanted, he would be there until 9:00. We grabed a cup of coffey and was off for our 30 mile trip to get our babies. We lost 2 during shipping. Hate to think how many we would have lost if the PO hadn't called.

This a.m. they are doing great and running around, eating and drinking and being happy. We have them in a stock tank in my potting shed. Can't wait until we can put them out in their little chicken pen. Then there will be the long wait for them to lay eggs. Thanksgiving maybe?

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  6:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Happy to hear your chicks are happy! I'm also happy you were at home to receive the phone call.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  7:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Enjoy those chicks ... and watch them grow. Before long they will be producing some nice eggs for you . We lost a few in shipment also and I gave the company a call and they re-funded me for them. We put ours in a cattle trough in the garage for the first 6 weeks. A nice fine layer of dust was on everything but they grew well and are out in their coop running around. Should have eggs by next month here.
Tammyb #541
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  07:32:05 AM  Show Profile
Belle, what kind did you get and how are they all today? It sure is nice to get chicks in the warmer weather so they don't need the heat lamp much. I only had to use mine at night this last batch.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I got a dozen Rhode Island Reds, a dozen Barred Rocks and 5 Buff Orffington and a Buff rooster. Wanted more roosters but Red roosters get mean (ours do) and beat up other Roosters. I hope the one rooster we have lives a long and healthy live. We bought the Buffs so we could have setting hens. They set more often than others. And yes, it is great not to have to run out and check the temp every few hours. We turn on the heat lamp at night when we shut up the hens. I Turned it off a while ago. It was 90 in their bit tub and were all away from the lamp. Was real cool this a.m. but warmed up fast once the storm passed.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Baby chicks here Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page