gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  8:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi, My husband and I have decided we would like to get some chickens to raise. Some for meat and some for eggs. Since we know no one that has chickens, and we have never had them before, I was hoping you ladies could help us decide what the best breed would be for us. Could you tell me what type of chickens you have and why you like them? Are they easy to care for? Thanks for your help! I can't wait to hear from all you chicken mama's out there.

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  8:54:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Shari!
my favorite chickens are dual purpose breeds that are good for meat or for eggs and the old fashioned Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons are my favorites,they're good layers of brown eggs and they dress out well for the table.
Barred Rocks and White Leghorns are also good and one breed that I bought last year to try new are the Aracaunas,they're not a huge chicken but they are some of the most prolific layers I've ever had,they lay a big quantity of these pastel green eggs and they also have a very curious and friendly temperament.
I let my chickens free roam during the day,zapping up bugs and bits of grass,this makes eggs that are higher in Omega-3's and I think keeps them healthier and less likely to peck at eachother but I supplement thier feed a little with some cracked corn and oyster shell as well as some kitchen scraps,this is a great way to dispose of failed batches of cheese,you know if the chickens eye it and leave it for dead you must have done something really funky to it!
If you want to get familiar with the chicken breeds and thier specs you can order a free catalog from Murray McMurray hatchery,their catalogs are very detailed and they run specials where you can get a variety of breeds for your purpose such as meat and egg production,brown layers,fancies,etc..
Hope this helps!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  9:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi shari, i agree that dual purpose hens are best. i almost cry when i see those fast growing cornish crosses that can barely walk by the time you butcher. my favs are rhode island red and barred rock. they lay beautifull big brown eggs and are prolific layers. i am averaging 12-14 eggs per day from 14 hens! one lays double yolks almost every day! i kow that whatever kind you get you will love. chickens are so cool!! the only thing is that you must realize that they will get into your gardens and will eat anything they can get in their mouths! one of mine ate 3 spent .22 shells which we found in a pile of poo!! they are a trip to watch tho especially if you have babies with their mommas. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  05:59:35 AM  Show Profile
I too love my Orpingtons. They are great layers and tend to be good mommas. I have other breeds but they are not laying age yet so I am afraid I am not much help there. I will say though for a splash of color Wyandottes are the way to go. I love mine and my boys are bigger than my Orpingtons. They follow me around like dogs. It's so funny.
Good luck chicken hunting.

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Yes, orpingtons are great all purpose chickens. They are heavy bodies enough for meat, they lay very well, and they have super sweet personalities.

hot summers are kind of rough for them but they make up for that in the winter by constant egg laying and being able to stay warmer than most

they also go broody on occasion and make good mothers

and of course, you just can't beat any sex linked hens like the reds and blacks. We have both of these types too
Go to Top of Page

horsegirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lara
Kalispell MT
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  12:54:36 PM  Show Profile
We have 6 brown hens(I can't remember which breed, fairly common), 2 white turkeys, 2 bronze turkeysand 2 mallard ducks. I'm trying to keep them from eating commercial feed, but not sure what to feed them instead. Right now they are about 8-10 weeks old, and outside all the time. They have a big dog house for shelter, till we can get a better roost built. I pick a ton of weeds for them every day, and try to find worms for the ducks (who LOVE them); they are all also on scratch, which seems like a waste of $$ to me, because they don't the millet, or whatever it is. I'm thinking I will start buying them just whole oats and cracked corn to eat. Any thoughts? These are our first chickens, so I'm not sure what is best for them. Thanks!

"I will never leave you nor forsake you"
Hebrews 13:5b
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  6:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons, but my husband is thinking Barred Rocks and Wyandottes. I don't want to have more than 2 types to start off with. I'm sure each breed has it's own likes and dislikes and I want to ease into this slowly since I have no idea what I'm doing. My husband thinks I'm being silly. What do you all think? Should I start with 2 breeds or go all out and get 4 or more breeds?

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  1:17:22 PM  Show Profile
A wonderful dual purpose breed that we raise is Dominiques. They are also a heritage breed and important to the history of our country. They were developed here by the new england colonists to withstand cold weather and hence the small comb size. They went west on the covered wagons and continue to lay nice size brown eggs all winter long. They are a friendly, docile breed and good natured around children.
We also raise Ameraucanas for their beautiful blue eggs and recently hatched 5 babies that are in my kitchen in a brooder box. We enjoy this breed for it colorful eggs and its puffy beard and ear puffs. Make sure you get real Ameraucanas that lay really blue eggs and not easter eggers from a hatchery who lay tinted eggs of pale shades and whose feather quality is not consistent with the breed standard. It is good to go to a reputable breeder. Sara
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  2:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Such a funny question because everyone has their own opinion. I have Buff Orpingtons because they are a great DUAL breed and they handle the heat and humidity of the south well. I also think they are beautiful. Very clean looking.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ranchetta
True Blue Farmgirl

318 Posts

carol
Marysville Wahington
USA
318 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  7:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Shari,
I bought a mixed batch of brown egg laying hens in August last year and they are now laying like crazy! The site below might be helpful to you (we bought our chicks from them and they have a great informative site) I've put a nesting box idea on my blog this week that my son came up with that works great for me.
Have fun with the chickens.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/

http://curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com/
http://alteredshots.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  03:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Also do a google search on "the poultry connection" or "the feather site" poultry page.

Packed FULL of all kinds of info including hatcheries and breed info
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  5:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
My Ameracaunas are very sweet. My Golden Comets not so much. If I could do it again I would have just gotten all Ameracaunas :)

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need chicken breed advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page