Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Do you have any Valentine's Day traditions at your home/farm? When we were growing up, my parents would always give us (2 girls) new red/white/heart-ed undies - we LOVED them. They were always the big, white cotton kind - not stretchy - and usually had lace sewn across the seats, even when we were older. It was just such a fun thing to look forward to.

At our home now, for better or worse, the only tradition we have is that a couple of days before Valentine's Day, I remind my husband that it's a couple of days before Valentine's Day!

I just have a boy,now, 2-1/2 yrs old, and I'd like to begin doing little things for the holidays to bring a "rhythm" to the year like I had growing up, but I'm stumped for Val's Day with him. I don't really want to start the "undies" thing, I don't think! Any ideas? What do you 'girls do?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile
Seeing this after the fact.

I put up a Valentine tree. I have two branches over 2' tall, one painted white the other gold. I used the gold one this year stuck in a cherry red glazed pot. I hung heart ornaments, used black with white polkadot bows, red silk roses and ivy, pearl swags, then tucked in old fashioned valentines.

I then make a bouquet of hearts out of eight red hearts on branches picks from Mary Engelbreight. It looks like those fall red berry bouquets you see in the magazines.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  08:51:59 AM  Show Profile
That sounds darling!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  05:05:54 AM  Show Profile
What a precious tree!! You are so creative, Susie.

Libbie, we do the cute heart undie thing for our girls, too. Boys, hhhhmmmm, that must be harder to buy for.

Our whole family leaves little notes for each other all over the house. It's so fun to still be finding them days after!!

My husband proposed on Valentine's...ON THE RADIO!!! We listen to the tape on Valentine's. He's been in the radio industry since he was 18, still is. Ya' know how you have limited minutes to call to win a prize? Well, the radio station at that time was 92 FM. He proposed and then said I had 9 minutes and 2 seconds to claim my proposal! I just about had a fit. Of course, I called in. Later, in all my college classes, my friends were congratulating and joking that I should have waited 10 minutes to freak him out.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  11:32:50 AM  Show Profile
WOW - talk about a public proposal! I'm glad you didn't miss the time frame !

I like the little note idea - I think I'll start that one next year, as well as some sort of decorative version of the Valentine tree.

Thank you for the ideas - you are all so inspiring...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Any Valentine's Day Traditions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page