brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:02:45 PM  Show Profile
This is my first post, and also I guess an introduction besides a book idea.

My first exposure to Mary Jane and her world was through the Ideabook...

What grabbed me, and made me come back, was the article at the front of the book about the flour mill - the sign that said "if no one here- serve yourself". This whole group of articles about community really painted a picture of a community very similar to the one I grew up in - neighbors meeting at the township hall for games and desserts once a month - people helping each other through hard times and celebrating the good times, joining together to enforce the law and help each other out.

The overall quality of the book was excellent, and the photography really emphasized sunshine and light.

This is just the best way to live.

When I signed up to be a chapter leader, Mary Jane (or someone representing her) THANKED me for trusting enough to enter my name in an online forum. For me, this is no small thing.

Recently I had my identity stolen - someone is using my social security number to open up cell phone accounts in another state, and the police/sheriff's departments seem powerless to stop this from happening. So in the same box I got Mary Jane's book in, I received another book about how to protect yourself from identity theft. This book advocated setting up an alternate identity and mail drops, then moving, and never associating your real name with your real address again as long as you live! In my opion, this is NOT the way to live. This book was about hiding and staying in the dark....

I prefer sunshine and light! I'm voting with Mary Jane!

The gardening, cooking and the canning and the aprons and the laundry are what farm girls do- Community is why we do it...

Just my opinion.

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I agree! Did you know that MaryJane has a "serve yourself" shop at her farm, too? I was so impressed with that idea as well. I am taken by YOU - and your ability to choose the high road after having your identity stolen. How awful. It's never happened to me, but I hear stories in the news and they all sound so painful in so many ways.

I think you'll be happy with this forum, and as for the farmgirl way of living - it sounds like you're already there!

Welcome!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  5:07:59 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Brenda!!! I agree...the sunlight is sure a better way to live than in the "dark". I am sure glad you chose to be here..even after what happened to you! It will be fun to get to know you!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  04:15:47 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, WELCOME!! So glad you joined the farmgirl community here....you will have fun and meet some great gals.

I often go to that same page in the book....I love that sign and all it represents.

My heart is pained over your identity theft situation....it is awful. My hubby had his stolen and we're still trying to get our credit cleared up. It's no fun.

Your bright and positive attitude have given me a sunny start to my day. I look forward to getting to know you!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Community and Trust Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page