Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 keeping farmgirl goods within the connection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic keeping farmgirl goods within the connection Next Topic  

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  3:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls, the other day I was e-mailing Shepardess about wool. I spin & hook rugs, she does also. She has sheep, I needed wool.So I started thinking, although Im on the east coast and alot of you are not, I'd rather purchase some things from some of you on the connection. I dont make soap, I would love to have natural soaps. I need wool, rather then purchase it from "other " people I would rather get it from farmgirls on the connection. Someone makes dresses for casual country wear. So many of you make wonderful things or have things that maybe you cant get other places. For me, having something that is natural, not made mass produced and actually knowing it really was made in the country or at least the country way, is worth the shipping cost. Just some food for thought. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  10:38:58 PM  Show Profile
I love that idea...I would much rather buy a product I want from one of you gals than a store..like Michele said...you know who made it and where it made.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  12:05:41 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea!! I would absolutely rather spend my money knowing that I'm supporting my Farmgirl friends than give it to a store. Can we start a thread so people can list what they have to sell? Maybe under the barter section?

Kay
North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  04:55:11 AM  Show Profile
Kay, I love the idea of the thread under the barter section. I wasnt sure where to post it. If others dont care for the idea, then the girls that do will have a place to purchase each others items. I just thought, for me, I'd rather support the farmgirls. Glad you and jenny like the idea. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  06:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Great idea!!!!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, it's sort of like buying locally in a way. The same intention.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  08:13:14 AM  Show Profile
I love this idea as well! I bought some of TheSoapMaven's egg soaps, and I just love them, and will definitely buy from her again...I would love to know what else all you farmgirls have available!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  09:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Waving at you Molly! I am so excited that you liked soaps! Bless you for saying so!

I too want to know what others have!

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  10:56:09 AM  Show Profile
::Waving Back:: You're welcome, Susan! Just speakin' it like I see it! .

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  11:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare for making a new category!! You're always on top of things.

Kay
North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  1:27:12 PM  Show Profile
I make a delicious homegrown Catawba grape jelly, and some pretty darn tasty bread and butter pickles... Put them in cute jars and top with fabric and a special label. Can we offer preserved foods on this site? The jelly is such a pretty color of pink!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

Edited by - MeadowLark on Jul 05 2005 1:28:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  4:46:12 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

What a great idea to have a Marketplace. I have nothing to sell, but I certainly agree that I would much rather contribute to our farm girl economy than to corporate America.

Also, found it interesting to think that in yet another way, we are finding a way to interact/connect via the rather old-fashioned Postal Mail just as Farm Girls have done for more than a century. Makes me think of all of the immigrants who left their homes to travel over the seas to American ports and then boarded wagons, trains, horse etc to homestead in remote areas of our country. I have been told that they often waited more than a year for a letter to arrive from the loved ones that they had left behind. My own ancestors came from Germany and Sweden and eventually settled in Illinois. I know that one of the families travelled by wagon from Boston.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  5:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Good thoughts Connie! It is so much more special and civilized to recieve a lovely letter or some art made by the hand of another...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  7:54:36 PM  Show Profile
This is an excellent idea. I too would prefer to purchase from all of you, people I trust. And as a sidebar, I will need to order more soap, Susan. I just opened my last bar. :o

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  5:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
I bought some of SoapMaven's lip balms and a lotion bar!
I am SO happy! Finally a lip balm that actually works! I have been plagued with chapped lips since I was four (or so).

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
You have a customer for life!

Also, thank you for the soap bar that was included. That was SO SWEET! Even my Hubby loved the smell. Is that Sandlewood?

Oh, you will like this, it's funny. I use the lotion -lavender- every night and my husband is now asking me, every night, to put some on his poor dry knees! I lovingly call them elephant knees!

It's helping lots though!

You was so wonderful! I also loved the red/cream checked tissue you sent every thing in. I actuall folded it up and put it in my "craft" trunk.

Thanks so much!!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  5:18:48 PM  Show Profile
You have my vote on this idea, too. I was just mentioning something similar to this idea this morning. We have a new hair salon in our community and I desparately needed a hair cut. I told the stylist that I would much rather do my business in our community and support the local merchants.

We are all our own community and I have to chime in with everyone else to say that I would much rather support everyone's efforts, business, and crafts here than anywhere else. I know it will be high quality, homemade with love, and contain no foreign ingredients/materials.

I'm going to the Marketplace right now.....see you there.

What a blessing that God has uniquely gifted us to be of service to each other. One more thing to be thankful for... :o)

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I think this is a great idea and you can count me in! I would much rather buy from the "farmgirl talent pool" than walk into a store anyday. I make candles, and as soon as I can get my honeybee project into the works, I plan on making a line of beeswax products. I have a few other things I do as well, but since I am not moving into my new (ok, 1892) house until November, it will take me a little while to get up and running. So, I will start the ball rolling by buying things from you farmgirls. One, I am hopeless with a sewing machine, or even a needle, so for anyone who makes aprons, kitchen towels (I love the embroidered ones!), lace, doilies, pillows, quilts and window valances, let me know. I love soap, so I see a connection on here I will be following up on. I have decided to give every piece of furniture I own (except for one antique buffet) to my sons for their apartments, so I am starting all over. There are six bedrooms to decorate! Plus, two porches that I want to make into cozy gathering areas. I have decided that the decorating style I want in my house is "Romantic Country" so I want slipcovers, ruffles, rag rugs (I guess this makes me FARMGIRLY!)
Like a lot of people, I don't have a ton of money to spend, so I would like to keep it within this group as much as possible. Can anyone out there help me out with some of the things I want to buy? Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

rockinhorse
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Robin
yucca valley Ca
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  12:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Send rockinhorse an AOL message  Send rockinhorse a Yahoo! Message
westernhorse51 where did you learn to spin? I sure have a strong desire to learn but having a hard time finding a guild or other spinners in my area? could you offer up some pointers? also you mentioned that you hook rugs. that sure is an interesting hobbie. Thanks for the input on marketing. I have been away from farmgirls lately and it feels great to be back.

Happiness must be grown in one's own garden!
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  02:29:23 AM  Show Profile
Count me in !!!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  3:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Me too.

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic keeping farmgirl goods within the connection Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page