nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  12:48:18 PM  Show Profile
I have canned for many years. I have always bought the newest canning blue book that was out. I decided to take my local extension office's canning class, just to make sure that I was practicing currentskills. Well ladies, nothing has ever happened to my family or freinds because of my canning, thank God, however I wasn't using the newest available information when canning. I wasnt doing anything really bad, but.....Did you know, you are not supposed to tip the jar when you remove the jar from the water bath? By tipping it , you may cause the food inside to spill into the ring area,then the jar wouldnt seal properly. Another thing never use your own recipe, only use approved websites such as www.uga.edu/nchfp . Georgia Univ rcvd grants on updating home canning recipes. Tomatoes are on the iffy side of the PH factors, always use lemon juice or citric acid when canning them. When canning fruit, you can use vitamin c pills in place of ascorbic acid. Pressure Canners: top gauge units, get them checked yearly. We also skimmed over hopw to use a pressure canner, which peaked my curiosity about pressure canning. I think I am going to give it a try. (more about that in another topic). My class was mostly comprised of us that have canned for many years but wanted to make sure we are still practicing safe skills. There were many of us that learned a thing or two.......

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile
thanks Kim! I almost always tip my jars oooops! I sure will be more careful this time

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  12:53:57 PM  Show Profile
I have never canned. My MIL is terrified that I'm going to poison the whole family. this from a woman who lived on HER mil's canned food. I wanna learn really really bad!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  1:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I tip some of my jars when I get them out of the canner which would explain why some of them don't seal.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile
Dawn

Give it a try! Its not as hard as you think and you will be very proud of yourself!

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  6:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, we had a whole family in our church who attended a 50-year golden wedding anniversary party last winter where some home-canned food was served (I think green beans) - it was contaminated with listeria and one family member died, several were very sick in intensive care, and a few got off lightly with a minor illness.

I cannot stress enough the importance of following the most current guidelines - don't attempt to can low-acid foods without a pressure canner! You're doing a great service by letting us know.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  9:08:57 PM  Show Profile
I even can my tomatoes and applesauce in my pressure canner then I am certain that they are ok. Home canned green beans must be boiled for 5 min. in an open kettle before tasting to be absolutely certain they are safe - at least that is what we were told by our county extension. I have been canning for 30 years now and so far no one has ever gotten sick. As long as you follow the current rules it is safe.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  6:05:33 PM  Show Profile
I use my pressure canner as well for everything including my tomatoes. Just feel a little better and I always bring stuff to a boil when they are opened, unless pickled of course :-)
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  11:12:15 AM  Show Profile
I learned not to tip the jar when taking out of the canner from none other than my Son. How did he get so smart? I have been canning (or helping Momma) for 60 years. I have never had a bad greenbean. Sometimes a jar don't seal, we eat them for supper on canning day. I sometimes use my greenbeans in a bean salad and don't cook them after opening the jar. Any time I open a jar of anything, I listen to hear the release of the pressure, look at the color and smell the contents. If in question, (sometimes pickles) I toss it out.

I remember Momma not canning or even boiling water bath her tomato juice. Once in a while one would go bad. But I think the new tomato varities are much less acid. I pressure can all my tomato products except salsa, which I boiling water bath. Also water bath my pickles. Kinda quit making jelly, usually freezer jam.
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  04:37:33 AM  Show Profile
This is such good advice, Kim.

For any who want to brush up on their skills, the University of Georgia National Center for Home Canning offers a free online home study course. Here's the link.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

I haven't done it yet but plan to - I have a pressure canner but have never used it and I am a little scared!

Also, I saw something inspiring the other day - a community canning project.

http://www.yeswecanfood.com

I'd love to hang out and can apricots with that group.

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at SunshineForDinner.com

Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  2:56:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sheep Mom 2

I have been canning for 30 years now and so far no one has ever gotten sick. As long as you follow the current rules it is safe.

Would you ever consider taking on a student? I canned peaches and tomatoes when we first moved into this house -- that was 18 years ago this month. I'd like to try it again AND try some non-acidic foods. I've always kind of fantasized that a group of Farmgirls could get together and learn/do some canning.

Just curious (hey, we're kinda neighbors!)... Karin
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  3:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karin - what are you interested in canning? I grow tomatoes and green beans that I can (in various forms), relishes and of course the usual jams and jellies and applesauce.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  8:11:04 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could take a canning class! I've been canning for a couple of years, mainly jams and such. I did some tomatoes and even some chicken one year and used a pressure canner on them but I was TOO AFRAID TO EAT THEM! I'm afraid I'm going to kill me or DH! My momma never canned and I just started out reading the Blue Book. Have always wanted a "canning mentor" who could come watch me and give me advice!

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  03:35:25 AM  Show Profile
Judging by how many fields of corn hubby and his dad planted, looks like i'll be canning corn 'till the cows come home.

Attempted beans 2 years ago (lost that luvin' feelin' last year and didn't can anything but jams 'n jellies). So thanks for the updates.

Does anyone out there use a pressure canner on a gas burner. It's been a bit of a challenge trying to get the flaim height to correspond to the correct tems and hold them there long enough.

And, I also do the sniff test. If anything even remotely looks and smells bad, out it goes.

When making salsa, I just use the water bath method, but also make sure to get the salsa to a rolling boil.

You just can't beat the sound of a well vacuum packed product!
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  8:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Wow I have canned for years, but thanks for the post. I will be doing some reading before this season really gets started. Strawberries and jam are tomorrow :)

Tammyb #541
Go to Top of Page

hill farm lady
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Sherry
Chelsea VT
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile
I can salsas, relishes, tomatoes (but you have to make it more acidic because the varieties we tend to plant today aren't as acidic), and pickled vegetables of different kinds (dilly beans, etc.) I also make kimchi which I keep in a crock in the cellar. I freeze applesauce, fruits, and meat (we raise lamb, sometimes a pig, and get chickens from a friend). I don't have kids home any more but still do it! When they come home, they love the foods they grew up with! And the new ones I try! We all love to cook--and eat our own foods. Enjoy! There is lots of information on the Cooperative Ext. websites of some of the state universities. I think Georgia has one of the best.

From Vermont,
Go to Top of Page

SpiritedRose
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Chestertown MD
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  07:53:31 AM  Show Profile
Interesting idea to freeze the applesauce... Do you think it gives better taste or is it just easier to do?

Cheesemaker with a supportive husband,
Registered Jersey breeder, AKC Akita breeder, and friend of two favorite cats!

spiritedrose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Update your canning skills Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page