265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  10:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone make their own?

What equipment do you use?

A friend of mine wanted a butter churn to make her own butter so I have been on the look out for her and found a few but golly they are expensive. The antique ones and the new ones both.

I did find instructions for making it in a blender so am going to try this weekend. Wish me luck. If it works I am hoping to surprise her with the recipe and some butter (she doesn't have internet)

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  11:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Lorie, I do use a blender to make mine. I put cream very cold in the blender and it takes about 10 minutes of pulsing to turn it into butter. When it is a soft ball with little grains, drain it, you will have buttermilk then, and wash it under cold water. Put it back into the blender and pulse again, it will agglomerate easily and fast. Then, I do wash it again, making sure there are no little pockets of buttermilk left into the churned butter. When I am satisfied, I salt it lightly with coarse salt. Use the best cream possible with a high content of fat to the best butter you ever tasted.
It it very sweet of you to do that for your friend.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4222 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4222 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  04:07:16 AM  Show Profile
I use a butter churn. My mom and dad had an old one. Works great.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  04:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
This August my hubby and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary - when we were first married and would be at his parents, his mother always had a pint jar on the kitchen table - if you sat down, you shook the jar (making butter). My 3 children grew up making butter at grandma's, and many a great conversation took place while shaking the butter jar. My father in law worked at the local creamery - he brought home fresh local milk and cream daily, so she always had an abundant supply of cream for the butter. She no longer makes butter, and my father in law passed away several years ago, but what a great memory of a time when we weren't so hurried that we could sit around a kitchen table and make butter. I think I might make some butter with my grandchildren.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  05:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny on this site makes her own butter.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  08:26:51 AM  Show Profile
I've used a blender and a plain old jar. I have 2 churns but they are antiques and I'm afraid I will break them.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Lorie, Hobby Farm Home magazine (Jan-Feb 09 issue) had a really good recipe and directions on how to make it - if you are interested email me and I will copy it and send it to you.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  3:19:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend they has 2 Jersey cows that I get cream from. I bought a smoothie blender that is perfect for making butter. It has the spout at the bottom for draining the buttermilk out and I don't lose any butter that way. I just add some cold water to rinse and blend a few times more. Then put it in a bowl and with a slotted spoon squeeze out the excess milk. Make sure it is clear water then you know it's clean butter. If there is any milk left it will sour fast. You can also freeze the butter.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  3:38:56 PM  Show Profile
I use either the jar type churn with wooden paddles that turn (we have two really neat old ones..both birthday gifts from a friend and my mom over the past two years) if I have alot of cream to do (I can put about 3 quarts in one at a time) or if I just want to do a little we shake it in quart jars filled about 2/3 full. It works best if left to room temp first for us. If shaking you just give it good "slosh" by flipping the jar end to end, and the air space in there helps alot. It will make a good lump of nice yellow butter when it is ready...pour off the butter milk and rinse well with cold water, then knead a little and wash again and refridgerate. Same process with the churn. I have never tried a blender.
Sometimes I will have a churn and a couple jars all going..with kids sitting on the family room floor watching a movie....one resting and the others cranking or shaking and then about every 15 minutes they pass their jar or churn down and a different one gets to rest awhile. (I have 4 kids still at home) They don't mind so much that way. We freeze alot of butter too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  4:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Why does white cream turn into yellow butter?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  6:37:36 PM  Show Profile
I hope someone can answer that question for you. When I have fresh Jersey cream it's not white. It's got a yellowish tint to it. And when I have goat and cow milk in the fridge I can tell right away which is which because goat milk is pure white and stays white. So goat cream makes white butter. I just can't ever get enuf cream to make it worth my time to make goat butter. I did have several gallons last year that sat in the fridge for about a week so I got lots of cream from them and made butter.

I just got my Mother Earth News mag today and there is an interesting article about making butter. Lots of good articles this month.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  7:56:40 PM  Show Profile
We have a foster child this weekend, Yesterday we picked up our fresh raw milk at the farm and he was amazed by the concept. My oldest son asked him if he would like to make butter, he was even more thrilled when I offered to make a loaf of fresh bread to go with their butter. They skimmed off the cream and made butter in a mason jar while the bread baked, the three boys ate a whole loaf, our foster friend was amazed! I love introducing kids to where food ACTUALLY comes from !
Go to Top of Page

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  6:40:00 PM  Show Profile
Butter from cow's milk will vary in color depending on the type of cow and the diet it ate. The yellow is from beta-carotene among other things. At one point color was a sign of quality to some, so butter was occasionally colored with annatto to make the color stronger (this also happened with certain cheeses). By separating the whey from the other components of the milk, you see the colors become more pronounced. Whey it self has a blue-green cast, which acts as an optical brightener, making milk appear whiter than it is.

Edited by - MissDotty on May 24 2009 6:40:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  7:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for answering my silly question. I do remember my grandmother's butter being a pale yellow and the buttermilk had a bluish tinge to it. My grandparents cattle were mostly grazed on field grass--whatever grew. At milking time grandpa would sweeten the pot with a little grain.

Betty in Pasco,
I miss them terribly.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  7:27:43 PM  Show Profile
I am always amazed at how bright a yellow our butter is. Jersey milk has alot of cream in it...about 1 quart to every gallon of milk.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  8:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I love this site. Just learned soooooo much about making butter! Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  08:00:12 AM  Show Profile
I buy a pint of heavy cream from the local dairy - get it at the grocery store or from the dairy's ice cream parlor. I bring it home and pour it into a quart sized canning jar. A rather slow shaking takes typically 20 minutes to make butter. At first, it just sounds like milk sloshing, a few minutes later, you don't hear anything and you can't see into the jar. Then you start hearing the sloshing and will see the milk pull away from the sides and you can see your butter forming a ball. I pour it into my strainer, collecting the buttermilk for my waffle batter. I rinse the butter several times with cold water, roll it into a ball shape and store it in a glass refrigerator dish. DH doesn't notice if its salted or not so usually I don't bother with salting it. This amount usually lasts a couple of weeks for us.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  12:36:22 PM  Show Profile
We shook the cream in a canning jar for a few years until I found an old 1/2 gallon crank churn for a price I could afford. The kids were always willing to shake the jar. I think it was kind of the same thing as cranking the ice cream maker -- the magic of seeing one substance turn into something different.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

theknottysheep
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kary
knitting in the sea on an island RI
USA
90 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  3:57:51 PM  Show Profile
oooo - this is going to be fun! Thanks for all the wonderful tips on making butter!

AWEsome wool: http://theknottysheep.com
FUN BloG: http://sheepatthebeachartstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  5:38:31 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try making butter tonight, lol. Thanks to the inspiration of my MJF farmgirl sistas! Bought heavy cream on my way home....now wish me luck!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  03:47:41 AM  Show Profile
I did it!! Lol! It turned out very nice! I blogged about it.... and added pictures! Can you tell I'm excited about the fact I made my own butter??

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  5:35:32 PM  Show Profile
This is weird ..just reading about making butter in Mother Earth...my husband was saying how his mom used the mixer to make butter...then I check out the forum ...man you girls ROCK!! You make it sound so simple...gotta try it now! Thanks girls!
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  04:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I haven't posted in awhile but this posting I had to stop lurking and jump in. We have a family "treasure" that when it comes to me will have been passed down 4 generations. It's a mason jar with a chunk of very very old butter. My great grandmother used to keep their butter in a bucket lowered into the well during the warmer months to prevent spoilage. One day while trying to fetch the bucket up out of the well she somehow managed to fall into the well. Fortunately someone heard her yelling for help and they got her out. She was hanging onto a jar of butter determined to bring some up one way or the other. She declared that jar to be her lucky jar of butter because someone heard her calls for help. I have her butter churn and while I've never tried making butter I may give it a go now that I know how easy it is. It might be fun to pass on a new generation of lucky butter along with grandma's. Along this same line has anyone ever made homemade cottage cheese and if so a recipe please?

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  9:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Wow!I didn't know it was so easy to make butter. I am going to have to do that myself as well...

Also, I'd LOVE to know how to make homemade cottage cheese!! Yes, anyone???

~~~~
http://www.stevietribute.com
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  1:32:18 PM  Show Profile
I read that article in Mother Earth - I don't use cultures and I still love my butter ;)
Searching for cottage cheese recipes...

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  04:10:35 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I made butter this morning. We had gotten a gallon of milk from the dairy farmer down the road. How much butter should it have made? I didn't seem to make that much, but it was sooo good! Do you think I didn't shake it long enough?

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making Butter Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page