Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members
 Farmerettes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic Farmerettes? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  04:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Any of you sisters have some farmerettes under your wing? I have read about farmerettes in the sisterhood info, but when I searched the messages I didn't find much activity about them.

I lead a girl scout troop of third to fifth graders and I wondered if anyone has completed patches with little girls before, and how did it go? I know my girls really respond to something "real" if that makes any sense. This year we are doing alot of outside stuff - orienteering, tree and wildflower ID, hiking, and for our indoor time we will focus on ecologically sound activities - like making our own household cleaners, making tshirt shopping bags, and using recycled craft materials. No more foam sheets ugh I am fed up with that ugly stuff. We will also do some cooking - make their own snack each meeting.

It looked like some of the badges fit in with this plan and were doable for kids.

If I join the sisterhood, do girls working with me have to join also, or are they under my membership somehow? And can they actually get a badge - I thought they could decorate them and wear them on the backs of their sashes and vests where we can add "fun patches".

I have a scheme to get some of my girl scout moms to join with me and then we would have a sisterhood group

Any other gs leaders out there?

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at SunshineForDinner.com

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
If you go over to the Woo-hoo sisters thread. Where we post our badge projects, you will find some farmettes there. Carrie M's daughters come to my mind.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Rene - could you help me find this thread? I did a search for it and just looked a little, but nothing is jumping out at me. I'd love to see some of the badges they worked on.

Since I see that you are "sisterhood coordinator" maybe you can answer my question - do farmerettes have to pay a membership fee to wear a badge?

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Georgiaberry- the farmerettes are fall in under the membership of the farmgirl sister who is helping them- they don't have to pay a fee to earn badges. There was a thread a while ago about all the specifics- I will try to find it for you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18538

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  3:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much. I can relate to the post in the other thread asking "what about little farmers?" i.e. boys. We have some brothers and out-of-age-group sisters that are tagalongs to our gs troop that could be included - we made them honorary troop members and call them 'explorer scouts'. I don't have the energy to establish 4H in my town, but we need a program for all ages and all genders. This isn't easy to find.

This is a good excuse to sign myself up for the sisterhood! I have wanted to for a long time.

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  09:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I would also go through the posts of Woo-hoo sisters and see what these amazing Farmettes have submitted.... They are SOOOO awesome.
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=44

Last winter MaryJane had a couple farmettes at the farm making rag dolls... they were amazing! (the farmettes & their dolls)

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  09:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
OH and you can ALWAYS EMAIL ME. with any and all questions. I am ALWAYS happy to walk anyone through any hurdles....Rene@MaryJanesFarm.org

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  8:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I really like the idea of starting a conversation on we can support the little ones who want to earn badges. Either Farmerettes or little guys.... IN the past, we have had moms who teach their daughters or grandmas who are teaching their grand-daughters~ but lately I have had several of you ask about a more corperate program. Where a farmgirl in the sisterhood can teach a small group of kids. SO, I thought, "Lets talk about it". What would it look like? what would the requirements be? We would obviously keep the topics the same, stitching room, farm kitchen, out post and so on... OK. so help me out, tell me what you want to see.

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  10:46:31 AM  Show Profile
Rene: I can give you an earful on this topic LOL. We (me and my fellow girl scout troop leaders, that is) wish we could find an alternative to girl scouts that would keep our troop (group) together, but could include more ages and be for both boys and girls. 4H is a great program that somehow totally avoids any kind of implied gender requirement for its members, but we like that girl scouts is laid out with projects so it is easy for the leader. So we are still with GS, since we are busy moms.

Here is the #1 reason we stay with GS - they have a well known history and a reputation for being worthwhile (I am not saying it *is* worthwhile, mind you, I am saying parents think it is). Our average member is over-scheduled and so are all their brothers and sisters and moms. The moms are willing to carve out five or so hours a month for the girls because it is "Girl Scouts". If I said tomorrow that it wasn't girl scouts any more, but instead we were having an outdoor nature study group (which is essentially all we do lol), the girls would be thrilled, and the moms would not send them back.

To sell another program to my girls' families, I need something with a leader's guide, something for the kids, like a handbook, and a brochure and website for parents to look at. And I would do it in a heartbeat!!! But I wish it could be appealing to boys as well.

Is this the kind of input you are looking for, Rene? I would love to see/participate in an analysis of Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts and 4H or other groups with an eye to borrowing the successful parts and putting in the Mary Jane Butters ethic and aesthetic. I am sick of the GS bureaucracy but I will put up with it because the girls need to stay together and I can't find an alternative.

I am too busy to tell more right now but will try to pitch in in a few days with my thoughts on group liability insurance, leader training, meeting places, etc. These issues will eventually confront any farmgirl who is trying to work with a group of kids.

BTW my girls will like the category "outpost" the best LOL.

Glad to know that others have an interest in this,

Georgiaberry

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  1:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Georgia,
Let's chat. I will email you my phone number...

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  2:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Rene,
I am following this topic with great interest, as it is something I would like to see further developed as well. Other mothers and I have been tossing around the idea of doing "farmerette" type projects with our daughters/grandaughters, but not all are official sisterhood members, and I believe that is a requirement to get the farmerettes in under your wing, isn't it? As a mother of a young daughter, I see the need to be teaching as many young ones these necessary skills for life!

June
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  4:37:36 PM  Show Profile
*Rene*

Got your email and I hope I will have a chance to call you tomorrow. I hope we can continue brainstorming here in the forum as well, as it is nice to get everyone's input.

*Ruby* I saw on your blog that your kids are in 4H - how do they/you like it? Can you tell me a little about meetings, and does anyone do any activities that are not animal related?

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  7:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So just chiming in here as a disillusioned parent with a young daughter who will someday want to be a "scout" type character.

Doesn't Girl Scouts charge a membership fee too? So I am thinking one way you could show the benefits to a "on the fence" type mom would be to point out that the Sisterhood membership is relatively cheap and has benefits for her as well.

And instead of selling girl scout cookies for a fund raiser if a fund raiser is needed in the future maybe they could sell MaryJanesFarm Chocolate! Yum! I would buy from farmerettes! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  10:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ruby~
Yes, it is a requirement to be in the sisterhood. $20 a year is really nominal and doesn't even begin to cover the costs. So in truth the fee is just a way to "offset" the investment that the farm has put into the program. There are so many hidden costs that go into the connection, sisterhood, etc. I have been a real supporter is the fee.. even though it doesn't begin to even cover the smallest fees, it does I believe give women ownership and set the standard of supporting those things that support us... Of course knowing you, I know that you get this too.

I think that it is such a family building thing.. what could be better than moms, grandma's kids and the men that love us... investing time in teaching each other these things... even the simplest thing like collecting buttons can really bring a family together.. well worth the $20 fee I would say. I can tell you from my own experience that enlisting the support of my guys has added so much to our family life for all of us. I currently have 23 badges ( some beginner, some with intermediate and some with expert level marks), however they have all enriched my life. I feel more accomplished because I have walked through them step by step and brought others with me. Each step challenging me in ways I may not have otherwise gone.

Please make sure to check out the video library too.. it is what we call Farmgirl University. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/video-library.asp

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  04:19:09 AM  Show Profile
Rene,
I totally agree with you and understand regarding the fees. I don't have any problem with the fees, I just know that one Farmgirl couldn't submit Farmerette achievements for an entire group of Farmerettes under that one fee paid. I am excited to see further development of this program considered, as even my daughter's friends are excited to know what she is learning, and of course they want to be a part of it, too!

I have been keeping a binder with all of my badge progress, along with my daughter's...I really should take the time to submit some of them!

June

Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  05:38:35 AM  Show Profile
One aspect of Girls Scouts that has been very positive for our group is how inexpensive it is. The annual membership is only $12, and we try to use group funds (cookie money) to pay the girls memberships for the next year. The membership fee basically covers a group insurance policy. The way GS really makes money is on the peripherals. A vest is $14, each patch is $1.25. A starter kit with the handbook, badgebook, vest and insignia is about $50. There are GS branded clothes, toys, pencils, hair clip, stationery, anything you can think of - all for sale in the council shop. Then there is the cookie sale - our council went up to $3.50 per box last year, a full $1 increase - of which we get .50. Now they are requiring a new program called "journeys" - another money maker as the book for each girl is about $8 and there is a leader book as well.

If you stay away from the extras it can be very low cost - and for the most part, we do. We don't even require a uniform. But if you want to spend, they have plenty for you to spend on!

BTW they are expecting you to fund your activities (like event registrations, camps, etc) through cookie sales - which I have already pointed out are a huge moneymaker for GS. We do the cookie sale, but very low key, so we have the moms pay for the events if the girls want to go. I just went to a science program with my daughter last weekend and I think it was $15 for the badge and the 3hr program (no snack LOL). $15 would be our troop income from 30 boxes of cookies, from which GS would have already gleaned $90. That is per girl attending the event. If all nine girls went, and we funded it with cookie money, that would be 270 boxes of cookies, $810 already made off our sales by GS, and then the $135 for our registrations.

I try not to think about this too much, because today is a GS meeting and I need to be in a good frame of mind.

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at www.SunshineForDinner.com

Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  05:46:01 AM  Show Profile
Whew, after rereading my cookie rant - I guess what I really mean is this: I would rather pay an honest, higher fee for membership or materials and have an useful and profitable fundraising effort, than use little girls to sell overpriced cookies for slave wages!

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Taking a few minutes on a rainy day to revisit this topic:)

One scenario that I can see working for me, as the group leader, is establishing a "working group" type of recurring activity, as opposed to the "program" type of group we have now.

I am not sure that I can make this distinction as clear here as it is in my head - but, I wish that a meeting time would exist for kids and adults to get together in a convenient and useful location in order to work on projects. The projects could be selected from the guidelines established by MJF, or they could be just whatever the kids wanted - but in the catagories established in the Lifebook. I envision mostly individual projects, such as handwork, being brought to meetings and supported by the leader and others at the meeting. If members wanted to get together and start a group project - a cooking event or a quilt or work at a community garden, the meeting would be a place to work and organize.

The critical part would be - the kids should show up with their project, whether they have their embroidery in a bag, or their scrapbooking stuff, or their mom brings a bunch of bamboo to build trellises - or whatever, but it is driven by their initiative. I as the leader wouldn't say - ok today it is embroidery day, and here is the stuff and the pattern, and everyone would work on this. I see no reason why a room full of people of all ages couldn't visit and work on different things and help each other if needed.

I think a few prepped small projects like feltwork or crocheting should be kept available for kids who forget their project.

I'd like to think that big kids could make project kits for little kids - like lacing cards or feltboards.

I'd want parents to be there for all kids under third grade or 8 years old.

I would establish time at the end of each meeting to show whatever progress had been made during that session - a time to admire and compliment each other's work. This would naturally bring the meeting to a close - something that is hard for our group to accept sometimes LOL - and it would also encourage working, not goofing around.

I can imagine welcoming each member to the group with a standard initial project - like making a tote bag out of old jeans. This is an easy, useful, free, unisex project that can be then used to tote the projects and materials to meetings. We could also display our badges on it.

I think this working group approach would take some pressure off of the leader for prepping for meetings, and put the accomplishment back where it belongs, with the members who are learning and refining skills and creating something they can be proud of.

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Georgiaberry,
I really like the ideas you have expressed here! I was thinking along similar lines, though incorporating an aspect of teaching the basics of several types of projects into meetings. I thought a teaching/hands-on workshop once a month, then an open time to freely bring projects as you had mentioned for the alternate meetings (once a month as well, for a total of two per month?) All of this could be flexible, but I am aware that many youngsters don't have any one available to teach them even the most basic of some of these things, and the grown-ups could also greatly benefit from the teaching sessions as well. Just some more of my input on this very exciting topic!

June
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  10:59:09 AM  Show Profile
That is a good observation, Ruby. A workshop atmosphere would be appropriate. I think meeting format should be flexible - and I wonder how the adult sisterhood meetings work - I don't have any groups in my area as far as I know. I do my GS meeting every other week for 1.5 hours - and I don't think I could manage more often than that. Some leaders I know meet once a week for a shorter time, though.

I imagined circulating within the group giving aid for things I knew and helping to find info and interpret directions for things I didn't. I would expect other adults at the meetings to take part in mentoring, and that our own projects would take a backseat to this. I wish an adult group in my community might form out of this activity.

There could be themed meetings or seasonal focus, like making Christmas gifts or dying easter eggs naturally or "dreaming of spring", where everybody brings their seed catalogs and pools orders and plan their gardens.

Group projects like making cleaners or soap could be periodic - buying the materials in bulk saves money, and making orders and collecting money could be the responsibility of the leader - or a "project manager".

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  11:34:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes! I think having the learning workshops would be to give them some inspiration, as a sort of a guide for the kids to use as a springboard into their own projects. I agree on the group projects, too. It seems our thoughts are very similar!

I think the Sisterhood would grow naturally as a result of this, as many moms & grandmothers might see how tremendous the entire lifestyle is!

I'm enjoying our "conversation" on this topic, Georgiaberry!

June
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  11:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think you gals are really onto a great idea here!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  3:03:07 PM  Show Profile
ideas for topics for badges for kids - or for anyone ;)

woodworking
pen pals
mail art
journalism
local history
local geography
bookbinding
autograph book
penmanship
nature study
native plants
birdwatching
animal husbandry
old fashioned games
foreign language phrases
helping "littles"
reading list - book club

By the way, the way that the badges work now - same badge, different activity and extra row of stitching as you advance -- is really great. In GS we have age levels - different age levels are working from different badge books. We might have the same topic, say "wildlife", but the activities are different, and the badges are different. In theory, with the MJF method, a kid could earn a badge when they were little and then advance as they grow older, or a kid and a grandma could work on the same badge. Genius! That is inclusive and bonding, not exclusive and divisive.

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  5:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Very great ideas. I love them all. Thanks. I also got your email, lets touch bases early next week as I am just getting my strength back from being a little "under the weather".... THANKS, I am so excited about this.

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  5:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Get well soon, Rene - I had my two kids home sick this week, and almost a third of my daughter's 4th grade class was out one day! I guess this is the season . . .

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic Farmerettes? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page