Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  6:02:08 PM  Show Profile
I've heard a lot of women say that they think they should use their fancies everyday because then it makes their everyday special. I was thinking about this earlier as the kids and I were doing the dishes and we had a glass casualty.

I would rather have pretty things like china ware and goblets that I use on special occassions to pretty up things. I always loved the anticipation of washing the dishes and seeing the table all doodied up.

I DO do things like use glasses everyday. I think if the children use those versus plastic (AT MY HOUSE) that they learn to respect things. You teach them how to hold it and how to set it down gently.

We use plastic at other people's houses of course. Avoiding accidents is sometimes better for relationships. ;)

I think that if I used my pretty china everyday, that it would lose what it is that makes it so pretty and special. Same thing with the fancy linens and pretty tea sets.

I know not everyone sees it that way, and so I was wondering what YOU do?

hugs :D

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  6:16:44 PM  Show Profile
I never had any real nice linen's or any tableware that was special. I did for mothers day get matching Corelle dinner ware that matches..from my 2 sons..I now at the age of 57 have matching dinnerware that is everyday ware...About a year before I got brand new silverware that matches and just feels nice...So as long as I don't have more than 8 at my dinner table all should go well.
But I would have to agree with Jessie.. My sister in law collects dinnerware sets so when I have gone to her home I always got the fine china and felt extra special.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  7:21:07 PM  Show Profile
I save my "special" for the holidays vs everyday, but sometimes I just feel like I need a boost, so then I use the "special" stuff and really do up the table as if it were a holiday. It always makes me feel good.
I love when the table is all dressed out.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  7:27:40 PM  Show Profile
I am a klutz! So, I do admit I use my everyday dishes most of the time. But, I also have to admit I am a dish set nut, and so is my husband. So I do have a rather good selection to choose from. My problem is I break the mugs and glasses without even trying. Isn't that awful,I have broken way more stuff than my kids and grandkids!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  7:39:03 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane,
I am the same way. I have started getting my glasses at Goodwill because sure enough every time I get a new full matching set of glasses or coffee cups, I will break one in that first week. I'm a great one for putting glasses in the sink a little too hard and cracking the tops off...My dd (3) keeps saying, "Accidents happen, Mommy." Boy, don't I know it ;)

LOL

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  10:22:18 PM  Show Profile
I don't really have any fancy stuff, but do have Christmas dishes ( a full set for 12) that we use in the month of december. I guess maybe someday I will get fancy stuff. I am 50 though, so maybe not..haha. I use my vintage 1950's dishes for everyday. I have alot of them though. The chipped ones in a stack on the right side of the china cabinet for everyday use and the non chipped ones I am saving. I guess I figure that way they will last longer. I have "Colonial Homestead" dishes by Royal. I love the green and I have collected quite alot over the years..mostly from ebay, yard sales and thrift shops. And yes, they do get broken from time to time.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  04:42:16 AM  Show Profile
I say if you have nice things who better to enjoy them , then the family. I know my Mother in law still has beautiful lace tablecloths and china she has never used because thay are too nice. In today's world most of us don't have the big formal dinner parties that used to be the thing to do. Or when you got married you just had to have fine china and silverware. Its nice if you have those, but USE THEM. You could maybe save out a few very special pieces that have special meaning and are only used for very special occasions. You know, Great Grnadma's tea set, etc. But use and enjoy the nice things if you are blessed to have them.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  04:57:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm a bad farm girl. We just yank a plate out of the cabinet, fix our plates off the stove, use paper towels for napkins and reusable plastic cups for our sweet tea. We do stop short of plastic utensils, as I'm not gonna spend all that money for them. And this coming from a woman who has nine sets of dishes - from super casual to my mom's Noritake China, three 'luncheon' sets of china, umpteen billion napkins, napkin rings, sets of stemware (from fun and funky to crystal) place mats, and vintage linen tablecloths. Of course, the good stuff has been handed down, and I'm scared to use it, in case it gets broken, and I'm too afraid of my sister Amie to have to confess to breaking one of Great Aunt Becky's glasses :). But when I have company, I have been known to properly set a table, and I will use serving bowls. I used to do it much more often, but just don't have the time anymore! I say, Hats off to you that do!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  05:39:18 AM  Show Profile
We use our everyday china (which is white Staffordshire, with a pattern, that I got while living in England) for every meal, though I truly wish my husband would NOT use the small plates for toast (how about a papertowel????) and though we do have a lovely set of Noritake china, I didn't even take it out this year because there are so few of us to "impress"....I guess that will be Violet's! I do also use my Nanny's silver during special occasions, and I always, always try to break out a little vintage tablecloth for those moments, too. I have lots of lovely antique linens from elderly relatives, some still with the original fold creases, and I try to use them for Sunday dinner but Justin won't use a napkin

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I have everyday dishes and linens, but I LOVE dishware, frankly the addiction is almost as bad as my fabric and book addictions,*grin*. I never had anything really nice when I was younger so when I did get some nice things I only used them for "special" occasions. Now, I used them when ever I want, because everyday should be a special occasion to celebrate one more day on this beautiful blue planet, just to be yourself. That conclusion I came to after breaking a few very cherished items, some quite old, and having the regrets of loosing a beautiful, old object. This is what I tell my grandchildren when they break something at my house, "It is only a thing. Things come and go in our lifetimes, enjoy them while you have them, let them go when they are gone, with no regrets. Remember, people and the relationships you have with those people, are the only things that are important."

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:20:26 AM  Show Profile
We use hand thrown pottery from our friends. There are over 100 potters around us. depending on the quality and craftmanship, it can be dressed up or down.

I do have access to my grandmother's china, but we don't even eat off a regular table right now.

And especially in the summer, we indulge and use paper when the last thing I want to be doing is dishes when the great outdoors is a callin'!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  07:21:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm right there with Julie! We usually do buffet style off the stove. But sometimes I feel fancy and want to put all the bowls and good stuff on the table. Also the grandkids like to do all that when they're here. I just let 'em at it. I also am a dish collector. I have several sets.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  09:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Buffet style off the stove for us too! I save all the pretty stuff for special occasions. The family is always eager to see my table handiwork on Thanksgiving and Christmas and they appreciate it and it adds to the charm of the seasons. My quilters circle is always amazed by my table decorations when they visit too! It is fun....

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  10:10:44 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I have nothing nice to save for such an occasion. So I guess I use everyday for everyday/everyway. I know that my vintage linens get used. I do not buy things to look at. I buy them to use. I have just found that older things tend to hold up better. But dishware, I have a set I bought 6 years ago still in use. Drinkware is mason jars. I'm not kidding.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  11:34:51 AM  Show Profile
I love drinking out of Mason Jars. And if you don't drink it all, you can screw on the lid and put it in the fridge so it doesn't pick up fridge smells. Maybe we should ask Mason to put out a line of jars that are pretty...eh?

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  12:00:26 PM  Show Profile
hehe...sounds like a good idea, Debbie! :D I use the blue mason jars for our glasses. :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  1:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh thank goodness! I use the jelly jars too. They are pretty! And you can buy Mason jars with handles on em. I break those fairly easy, but the reg jars... good to go!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  3:33:17 PM  Show Profile
I have everyday dishes and good dishes. I bought the good ones over-seas when were were there and after several of the glasses (which I cannot replace now) got broken I don't use them except at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My sister (who lives with me now) keeps telling me it is to much trouble to get out the good stuff and use it but I don't think the holidays would be as special without them so they keep coming out. But then she would use paper plates all the time and fill up landfills with paper and kill the trees so we agree to disagree.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Fancy vs. Everyday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page