Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  02:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I bought a wonderful seed starter from Wal-Mart. It is a tiny green house that is already working wonders.

I have started: tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, brocholli (sp?), pumpkins, cantelope,watermelon, parsley, and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head!

Have you started your spring starts yet? :)

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  12:09:39 PM  Show Profile
Alyssa - what kind of "greenhouse" is it? What does it look like? Pretty soon I'll be starting little guys for my garden, too! I'm so excited. February is such a great month for garden planning. It is what keeps me sane during the springtime when it's still too cold during the nights to plant outside.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
it is about 2 ft by 1 ft the bottom is black plastic with little circles that hold in circles of peat. there is actually two black plastic trays, one floats so when you pour in water, it keeps the bottom of the peat wet, but does not let it get drenched. then the top is about 2 inches deep and is clear plastic. I planted yesterday and checked this morning- things are already sprouting!! I am so excited!!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  2:17:03 PM  Show Profile
That sounds neat! I have some leftover peat "pellets" from last year, and it sounds like they will work with this "greenhouse." Do you use growlights when sprouting your seeds?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  9:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
no- I just left them on the dining room table overnight! That was what I was so surprised about the sprouting. Although the directions said to use warm water so perhaps that helped the seed pods broke so fast. :)
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  08:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Alyssa--I have the same one!!! I also have a Burpee one I bought from Home Depot that I like even better, only because the one from Wal-Mart I'm having trouble keeping the lid on but oh well things are still sprouting!!! So far I have eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, and parsley growing. Outside I have my onions and strawberries. I've ordered a ton more seeds from that place that MaryJane suggests in her book so I'll be off to get more greenhouses!!! Man I love spring!!!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie

That sounds neat! I have some leftover peat "pellets" from last year, and it sounds like they will work with this "greenhouse." Do you use growlights when sprouting your seeds?

XOXO, Libbie

I don't use 'growlights' per say. The first several days I just had them on top of my refrigerator. Once I saw sprouts I moved them to the top of my stove and leave my overhead lamp from my vent on all day. I don't use my stove much during the day so it's not a problem but the plants still get heat and extra light. I have to do this though because my kitchen is pretty dark.

In my most recent Gardeners Supply catalog there is a plastic shelving unit with growlights on each level that are adjustable as your seedlings grow. This thing is so awesome but for 550.00 I'm thinking I have a new project for DH to work on. He's very handy so hopefully he can come up with something similar that will work better than my stove!!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Feb 13 2006 08:18:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  08:59:58 AM  Show Profile
I, also, have seen the Gardners' Supply $550. version, and I've been designing my own in my head, too! I think I'll just get some lights from Ace Hardware....

I'm also heading to town today to do some shopping and I think I'll be coming home with some greenhouses. I'm SOOOOO excited!!!

I'm so jealous of those of you in climates where you are starting things outside already!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Don't...DON'T...go buying those shelves for such ridiculously inflated prices! Excluding the lights, I built five of them, each with five shelves for under $100 in an afternoon. I took the measurements of a 4' double flourescent light fixture plus a couple inches for clearance for the length of each shelf. The width was determined by the width of a standard sized planting tray (the kind you put a dozen little plant flats into). I framed the shelves with cheap 2x2. Envision building 2 ladders for each "unit" with the rungs roughly 15" apart, and connecting the ladders across with the 1x2 to make the shelves. When done, I used one long piece of 1x2 and screwed it across the back from the top right corner to the bottom left corner...for stability.
I purchased cheap double florescent light fixtures from Walmart that were hardwired (the kind you plug in). I hung these on the bottom of each shelf with "S" hooks and chain (included with the fixtures). This works great as you can lower each fixture independently to a couple inches over the plants so they don't get too tall. I use one warm and one cool bulb in each fixture.
These work really well and each shelf unit will hold 10 trays of bedding plants (120 little flats!). In the winter I grow african violets, basil, aloe, herbs and other seeds I save from bought fruits (avocado, pineapple, mango, citrus, etc.) under them for fun as I can't stand not being able to grow something in the winter).
I hope I've explained this okay...one of these days I will figger out how to post pics.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  2:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! When I went to school this morning (around 9ish) there was little to no sign of activity from the cucumber peat pellets- by the time I checked them at 2pm they were almost an inch high!!! I love spring! It is one of the few times where you can visably measure growth. Sometimes you can even see it! How amazing!
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  6:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Afew years ago My husband made these grow light stands for me.They were cheep to make and you can completely disassemble the thing

Here is the link to the directions. http://www.carlnet.org/~ttsdaly/plantstand.html
We found they were not quite tall enough for tomato plants so we made the vertical pieces longer on the second one we made

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/

Edited by - garliclady on Feb 14 2006 6:02:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  7:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Holy Cow Garliclady, that is a great set up. I just wish I had the room somewhere to have such a set up. Right now I have my lonely little plant starter up on the kitchen window where it will get the most light. I'll have to look up those instructions and see if we can devise a smaller version for my space. That is really cool.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile
They don't take up that much space. This picture is of 2. They are 3 tier 2 shop lights on each tier. They could be made to be only 1 or 2 tier. You don't have to have bottoms on the shelves because they are made the right width for flats to fit.You can get 4 flats on each tier.

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  11:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just transplanted my first seedlings from the starter to soil in pots. I have 5 cucumber seedlings in one pot and 4 in another! I am so excited. I always thought the "cucumber" smell was a bit strong- from Bath and Both etc- until I smelled these seedlings! Wow!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  07:57:29 AM  Show Profile
GarlicLady, that is exactly what my DH had described to me that he was going to do. Glad to hear that it works great. I doubt I'll get it this year as I have a gazillion other projects for him right now but next spring for sure.

Alee-it's crazy how fast they grow. Almost before your eyes!! Mine are getting to the point I need to transplant soon.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile
I have the same little greenhouse. Haven't started anythihng yet though. My DH just turned the garden for me, just him and the shovel. He is a good guy. Plus he is less noisy than a rototiller.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  07:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
As I sat here reading on the computer for the past half hour, the temperature has droped from 9 degrees to 5 degrees! Yipes! I am glad my plants are indoors at the moment!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  10:46:36 AM  Show Profile
I just love the PVC-type plant stands - thank you for the link to the instructions! Those are going to be my President's Day weekend project!!! I am so looking forward to a big, productive garden this year. You girls are my inspiration - thank you!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  11:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My parsley has finally cracked and sprouted its first seed! Its about time! lol. Now I have tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon,lettuce, brocolli and parsley that have seedlings. I saw some carrot seeds putting out roots so I am looking forwards to seeing those seedlings come up! garden carrots are the best!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  12:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Many thanks for the link garliclady! I think "I" can even handle this project! I usually start seeds on top of our pool table (covered of course) in the basement under grow lights. My kids will sure be happy to be able to use the table during my seed sprouting season! LOL
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  09:23:45 AM  Show Profile
I personally like the set up that garliclady has and I'll probably be making one of those but for those that don't have that much room or money to put into a growlight, I was watching DIY network and they had this one.... http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gt_seeds_bulbs/article/0,2029,DIY_13866_2653426,00.html

I hope that link works. If not go to DIYnetwork.com, click on gardening then lightstand and it will take you there. It's the same idea only smaller.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Now that the kidney beans are put in to sprout, I am starting my onions :) I have a whole mess of carrots, but once I thin them, I think it will only be about 10-15 so I think once I am moved in a I will do secondary starts so I will have harvests staggered through out the summer and fall- what do you ladies think?
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  4:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Approximately what date do you put things out to the garden, Alyssa? Here, cool weather crops go in as soon as we dry out, roughly April 1st. Hot weather things like pumpkins, squash, beans, etc. would be planted out May 1st. This is important so that you know just how soon to start things indoors. For me, starting my kidney beans now would give me full sized, blooming plants by the time they were ready for the garden!
So far I have started leeks, parsley (slow to germinate) and all my varieties of onions. I have also started a little mixed lettuce to put in the greenhouse to do us until the garden dries out. If you like, I can post starting dates for most veggies based on our growing season if it is similar to yours. I keep it in a database so I don't forget anything.
It feels so great to be playing in the dirt again, doesn't it!
Diane
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  4:05:11 PM  Show Profile
It works great for second and third plantings. Staring certain things just work better not direct seeded in the garden. We will do several plantings of tomatoes and several herbs Having them in a controled enviroment helps them get a really good start.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  7:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I won't be planting until June 1st. But I don't mind doing an indoor garden at this point :) I will be transplanting a fairly well developed garden on Moving Day :)
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  9:23:01 PM  Show Profile
We have had freezing weather the ast few days. Have lost some things. the flowers on my Camillia bushes all froze. Lost a couple scented gerainums,and anOsteosperum. SOme things though lookig droopy may pull through. We aren't use this kind of cold, this long, here on the ORegon Coast. Looking forward to it warming up. The up swing is that my DH got all of the veggie garden turned for me. Whoo-Hoo! I also have Sweet Peas starting to come up!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Spring Starts Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page