brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  05:28:48 AM  Show Profile
What a great PVC plant stand! I am jealous, DH made me a wooden one when we were courting - it doesn't knockdown and takes up a lot of room in the garage and its HEAVY. No natural light in the garage, and it's too big to put in the house.

I am dying to put up a greenhouse but he doesn't want another building in the yard. I thought about one of those little plastic ones but he says NO. I am thinking of looking for some land within a few miles of here just to put my sewing/knitting/spinning equipment and gardening stuff in!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  06:20:46 AM  Show Profile
If you have rasied beds with wooden sides you can make mini hoophouses to seed things early. I start some things inside but things that direct seed well and grow fast I direct seed in covered beds. This makes things like lettuce spinach ciantro ect start earlier than usual and save your inside strts for things like peppers, eggplant and tomatoes. We attach pipe strap to the wood beds with screws then arc PVC Pipe across the beds
Here is pictures of january and april last year

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  10:53:52 AM  Show Profile
I made a PVC starting stand - complete with fluorescent lights and everything! YAY!!! I made it really in an hour or so - the longest part was cutting all that darn pipe. Even with handheld cutters, your hands get pretty tired. BUT - I am SO happy with the results. I wholeheartedly recommend this project!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! What a great idea about the raised beds! I will have to put those in at my next apartment! I am very excited!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  06:21:50 AM  Show Profile
DH made me the PVC light stand. It's so cool!!! He is going to put wooden shelving on it for me though but I'm so excited!! Are you guys putting a 'warm' and 'cool' bulb or just the standard cool bulbs?
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  07:20:27 AM  Show Profile
haven't started my 'starters' just yet .. but i did start buying FLOWERING plants for the different rooms in the Cabins. Honey Hunk loves fresh cut flowers .. soooo .. he's started buying me a bouquet a week .. and i've started getting the 'plant' kind. I must have 'summer fever'!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  2:03:50 PM  Show Profile
I am just putting the standard "cool" bulbs in my plant stand, but it sounds like one warm and one cool might be better....

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  9:30:03 PM  Show Profile
EEE! I think we will have a freeze again tonight! I am so ready for our usual tempurate temprtures. Covered my Blue Poppy babies. Not taking any chances!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  12:54:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie

I am just putting the standard "cool" bulbs in my plant stand, but it sounds like one warm and one cool might be better....

XOXO, Libbie

Yeah, I saw an episode on DIY where the guy said any flowering plant benefits from warm and cool rays. I assume that means veggie plants too because they 'flower'. Do you keep your plant stand inside the house or in the garage or where. I'm thinking it's still too cold outside in the garage and I don't think the bulbs give off enough warmth for the seedlings, especially with cool bulbs.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  07:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Right now, my plant stand is in the living room, because I wanted to build it where I would be warm - by the wood stove! It doesn't really match the decor , however, so I'll be moving it to the mudroom - our little room by the back door that not's really heated, but it's warmer than, say, a garage. I think it's still a little too cold here for moving them to an outbuilding. I'm going to buy some "warm" bulbs for the lights today. I went yesterday to the market and just splurged on some seeds - I really have the fever badly!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  8:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Warmed up and now have rain again, which is fine as yesterday I did a lot of transplanting. The rain will make their feet happy!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
my onions are starting to sprout up, but I think I will have to give up on my parsley and kidney beans. They aren't doing anything. I know it is WAY past the parsley germination date since one sprouted (I forgot to take it out of th sprouting green house thing and it died)
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Regular, moss-curled parsley can take a month to germinate Alyssa so maybe don't give up yet.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  10:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I will let it set through one more cyle of sprouts (for other stuff) but then it gets tossed as a lost cause for that batch! lol I am pretty sure they won't sprout though since one already did and that was the only one. Sometimes the seeds just aren't very good I think.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  08:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Ok farmgirls, what do I do? All my seeds that I've planted so far have sprouted and look healthy but they are starting to get real leggy. Right now I have tomatoes, peppers, and parsley. I have them in my garage under a light stand like the one garliclady has. I've read that a fan is needed to keep air circulation going, could that be the problem? Also do I need to transplant them to a slighly larger container to allow them to get bigger or do I leave them in the sprouting containers until they go outside? I'm new to the seedling thing so sorry for so many questions. Usually I do it the easy way and just buy seedlings and plant.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Are you leaving the lights on all the time? I have noticed when my other plants grow too fast they get leggy too. Usually this is on high sunshine weeks. Maybe giving them some night/day cycles would help. The fan could be a good idea too- I am not sure though. I know trees grow stronger if there is wind. It helps teach the trunk how to strengthen itself.
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Having a fan on them does help . My guess is that you don't have the light down close enough to the plants.
As for trans planting... If you started one seed in each indivdual cell then they shoud be able to stay in that cell for a while. If you seeded alot of seeds in a flat all together like I do then when the get their second set of leaves they will need to be trasplanted in to individual cells or pots. Parsley will seem leggy until it is transplanted and planted a little deeper.
If you will look at my picture on page one the top first flat is tomatoes that have not been transplanted the middle 2 flats are parsley not trasplanted and the 4th flat is tomatoes that have just been transplanted from one flat to indivdual cells.
I hope that helps

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile
Well the last couple days the lights have been on all the time. We had company visit the whole weekend and my plants kinda got neglected. I do forget to turn the light of frequently so I'll have to try to do better with that.

I placed 2-3 seeds in each cell. Some of them have all sprouted but for the most part just one plant per cell. Well maybe I'll try a fan to see if it strengthens the stems at all and just keep an eye on them. How long does it usually take until they get their first set of true leaves?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  2:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it depends on the plant. My cucumbers just got their second set of leaves earlier this week, but now they are growing fast!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  3:22:14 PM  Show Profile
I picked up a couple of $6 timers at Wallyworld. Sprouted plants get 16hrs of light, with one cool and one warm bulb in each fixture, placed about 2" above the plants. The only exception is geraniums, they get 24hrs of light per day until the first true leaves (2nd set) appear. The little plants need the darkness as much as the light.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  05:53:20 AM  Show Profile
Ok, looks like I'll be making a trip to walmart. I have only cool bulbs in right now, I'll get some warm too. Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  07:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
Hey gals--

I'm starting my first seeds, and I've just set them up in my second bathroom with the regular 60 watt bulbs... Will this work AT ALL, or do i need some sort of special light? I know this sounds like a kind of silly question, but it's my first garden!!

Also, I'm doing most everything in pots, but I did buy some squash and canteloupe sets... does anyone have any ideas for container vining plants? I was thinking about having my fiance make some long planters (like window boxes) about 12" deep out of wood... so i can set them on the ground and let the plants rest on the ground... any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  05:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Just thought I would bring back this thread for the new farm girls.
I put my plant stands back up this week and am starting seed now.
Any one who stll wants to make a PVC plant stand the link has changed
http://www.tsflowers.com/plantstand.html.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  7:50:11 PM  Show Profile
I just have to say that I built one of these PVC plant stands last year and I just LOVE it! It's about ready to be put back up in the living room one of these next few weeks. I can't wait!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  9:31:35 PM  Show Profile
This is a really cool idea. If only I was going to be in our new house in time for starting seeds like this. I guess there is always next year.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Spring Starts Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page