Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  06:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Last night I had dozed at my computer in bed... I couldn't help it! I don't NORMALLY take my computer to bed with me...but I was reading a really great book on it! Anyway, I dozed off and woke to lightning flashing and wind blowing in the open window. I looked out and saw that the cloud front I photographed at Twilight had moved on top of us.

We sometimes let one of the horses spend the night in the arena if they don't have a run so they can enjoy the night air. Well I had put one out last night but realized I didn't really want her out in a thunder/lightning/rain storm. So I jumped out of bed and ran up to the barn to put her back in her stall and close up the two ends of the barn. By the time I got to the second end, it took almost all my strength to get the barn doors closed! The wind was trying to pick them up.

I went back to bed just in time to be lulled to sleep by the sound of rain hitting the tin roof. It was wonderful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  08:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Lucky girl! We haven't had a good thunderstorm yet. Something about them makes me all giddy and excited - like the "good" scare you get from roller coasters and haunted houses.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  10:41:38 AM  Show Profile
We look out over the lake and into the hills and dales of the Palouse it was quite a show last night. No rain here but the breeze let it cool off for a great nights sleep.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  11:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
It was a doozy wasn't it? I can't even mow at the cemetery today because everything is so wet!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  12:13:49 PM  Show Profile
We got the thunder and lightening and hard rain roll right on top of us. Everything I've checked so far survived. Before the rain I stood on the porch and watched the cloud lightening over Kamiak Butte. I thought of having my husband grab the camera but he was putting the lambs to bed for the night. They were protesting mightily though since they're just getting weaned now. The coyotes were howling and chatting to each other beyond the hills. And the birds were singing away since it was right at twilight. Then after dark when we were inside, the wind came howling through and we tightened down what we could and closed up the windows. We ended up going to bed and watching the lightening flashes bounce off the ceiling. It was awesome. We ended up with our preschooler sleeping on the floor at the foot of our bed this morning. I have no doubt why.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  1:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
AlyssaMarie- I got some pictures of the clouds around Kamiak before I went to bed, I should have gotten some lightening shots, but I was too sleeping to function.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  2:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Alee- "take every moment of sleep you can get and don't apologize for it" should be every mom's motto! I pray I've got the rest of my life to stare at the butte, so one of these days we'll manage a good picture I figure! I hope you are feeling refreshed!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  4:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Makes me picture a scene from Little House on the Prairie or something like that. Alee, I'm glad you and the horses were okay. How are your arms feeling today?

I looked up from some weeding and saw the beautiful clouds rolling in, and the deep rumbling thunder like you hear in the tropics during a tropical storm. It really was a different kind of storm for here. I grabbed my daughter and drove to the farm to get the horses up from the lower pasture. Bless their hearts, they were so good and lead so calmly. I was hoping the older one had enough experience to stay calm, but we just got him in November, so I didn't really know how he'd behave. The younger one is just a year old, and you just never know how they will act with any certainty. I was proud of them both. No problems through the night. The haystack kittens were all cozy and hidden away. Almost 6 weeks now, time to take them in for first shots.

Once I was sure all was well, I could stand back and breathe it in. I do love the sights and smells of a good storm. We really needed the rain. The wheat was starting to suffer. Still not sure it will be a great crop this year, just had to wait to long for the rain. But it might be okay. At least it didn't catch fire like a CRP field did south of town. Storm, fire, and someone had need of the ambulance, all at once. That part is all too bad. Our little volunteer firestation was plenty busy yesterday.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  5:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good evening, Michelle!

My arms are a little sore today- but nothing too bad. Glad your horses were calm. The ones were calm here too- my mind just goes to the worst I think- especially since only the one is mine. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  5:23:27 PM  Show Profile
We have so many poet farmgirls! Ya'll paint a picture I can not only envision, but actually experience! Thank you so very, very much for sharing! I love thunderstorms, the raw power of them, and feel so very sorry for anybody on this planet who does not fully appreciate God's beautiful gift of nature!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  10:03:40 PM  Show Profile
That storm was the most fascinating I'd seen in a long time. We stopped at some friends house in Sprague, they have a panoramic view of the fields and rock formations, with nothing in the way but a nicely shaped old tree (kind of like the one in your yard, Karen), the lightening was fantastic, cloud to cloud, cloud to ground, and at times constant. There was not much rain, but on the way home we had hit and miss showers, enough to make things smell good!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  05:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Don't you just love the smell of the c;ean air after a storm? It is wonderful, nothing like it except a baby cheek. It was a beautiful show, from my dining room window. And Thanks, Suzie for the lovely picture you spoke. I love that tree too.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  11:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Well I got to smell that clean air....driving back from Cashmere, Wa. yesterday it rained so hard it was flooding and I was hydroplaning on the road, had to slow way down and I could hardly see with the windshield wipers going all out! It was unreal, I have only been in something worse in Texas and I grew up in Seattle!!! lol

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  1:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love that clean air/ozone type smell after a good rain! Yesterday it started raining in the evening so I had to hurry and get all the horses into shelter, but it was so nice. All the baby goats got their bottles warmed up too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Palouse Thunderstorm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page