Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  6:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi again ladies and gals!
I've got two questions today and about a thousand more to come later.
What to do about hay? Before we bought our land a neighboring farmer was haying the 30 acres and taking it with him. Now, do we pay him if he keeps it up for us or do we charge him for taking our hay, or is it a washout? Eventually we will do it ourselves when we get our equipment which leads me to question #2.....
Where is the best place to get used farm equipment and implements? The newspaper? Drive up and down back roads? The Want Ad Digest? An auction? When is the best time of year?
Thanks again ahead of time!

Rose in NY

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  04:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Rose! In our area, if someone has hay ground but somebody else cuts, teds, and bales it, then they split the hay down the middle. Landowner pays for any seed, feed, and pesticides or herbicides.

In our area, there are lots of farm implement auctions sponsored by Lions Clubs and such. They draw from all over. If you're not handy, you can buy from an implement dealer, and get something that runs, but you'll pay a premium price. Watch ads, go to a few auctions and see how much stuff like you want goes for, so you can get a feel for relative values.

You may decide that splitting with your neighbor is the easiest and most cost effective for both of you.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile
Hello! We did this for a while on around 15 acres - we added up the water assessment and the land taxes first to make sure that no matter what happened, we weren't going to lose money on the deal. We called around for the going price on grass hay, what we were growing, and it was $3/standard 2-strand bale at the time. Because we paid for water and land taxes, the farmer who did the work paid us $1.50 for every bale pulled off the land. In addition, my husband did MANY of the water turns - because we chose a per-bale rate of return, we wanted to maximize the amount of hay, as did "our" farmer.

There are many ways of doing this, including a flat rate per acre including water, which is how much of it is done around here, as well.

A lot of farmers around here get their equip. at auction - machinery auctions can be tricky, however, and a trusted, experienced farmer friend can be a BIG help!

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  9:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rose,
We moved to our property and have only like 3 - 4 acres in hay, and the neighbor wants it for his cattle, so he cuts and bales and pays us half the worth, his payment is the hay and he's grateful we let him cut it ('specially this last year it was droughtful and he needed hay bad). It's a win/win situation for both. Find some agricultural newspapers on the net and look for ag auctions for equipment.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  4:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Rose,
Hey, I'm from NY also. We bought 100 acres 3 years ago and about 35 is leased to the neighboring farm and has been for the last 75 years. He pays us 100 dollars a year to lease the land. It is my understanding that in this area the person doing the leasing has the responsibility of keeping up the land. Ie: fertilizing etc. Last year was the first year we asked him for the hay back or to leave it here. He charged us 100 dollars at the end of the year so I guess you would say it was a wash.

We have a great relationship with him and alot of respect.

Where in Ny are you?

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  09:24:05 AM  Show Profile
We've been on both sides of the fence. Before we had the baler, we had folks come in a bale our hay (we cut & raked it outselves). We paid .50 bale and kept all bales.

Now we cut, rake & bale 15 acres of organic alfalfa. The owner has the upkeep expense of the hay, we get half the bales for our time & machinery.

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  3:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Cyndi,
How much does organic alfalfa go for , we are thinking of replanting our fields this year.?
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  8:59:13 PM  Show Profile
It probably varies region to region: May I suggest that you call your county extension office? They should be able to fill you in on what's customary in your part of the country.

Here, in western Oregon, we grow most of our own hay on our own land. However, over the years we've picked up a few fields owned by others and if they own livestock and want some of the hay, we do a split with them. If they don't own stock and just want the hay cut and removed from the field, we will do that as well. Either way, we bear all costs; the only difference being how to divvy it up. For example, my girlfriend just picked up a 20 acre field next door to our hay field. She has several horses, some sheep and alpacas so she needs some of the hay but won't need even half of it. So my brother agreed that we would take care of fertilizing the field, killing out any weeds, etc. not charge her for any of the work, and she'll take 1/3 and we'll take 2/3. They both seem happy as clams with the agreement; it's just whatever works for all parties involved.

I will point out that with the cost of fuel, baling twine, fertilizer and spray (if you're not organic), it is not cheap to produce hay. By the time one factors in the cost of a tractor, implements, maintenance and repairs, insurance, (tractor tires are a killer!)you may wish to hire someone with a custom haying business to put hay up for you. This may or may not be practical for your location; not all areas have custom farming available. Again, the extension service could probably answer that for you. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  10:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Marianne,
I don't have a clue what organic alfalfa hay goes for. We don't sell it but use it for our Jersey milk cow. Small bales of regular hay will go for about $2.50 on up depending on who you know, who has the hay & what time of year it is.

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  6:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Husband bought a tractor on ebay and we went and saw it today...but there's more! I gotta write it in the animal section wherever that is lol.

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  8:47:48 PM  Show Profile
I read about your new "additions!" AND, congratulations on the tractor and implements - I have a very bad case of "tractor-envy" when I see some of them around here. Lucky you!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Hay and farm equipment Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page