Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Embroidery Business for Moms and Kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Embroidery Business for Moms and Kids Next Topic  

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
I wanted to see if there were any women out there that has an embroidery business and actually making a bit of money from it. My idea was to make convenience items for Mom that would be fashionable so most items would be small. The childrens items would also be small and either could wear or play with. Eventually I would like to design my own patterns but that is down the road a bit. Jobs are few and far between here and I have gotten discouraged looking. I decided to be brave and try doing something I love and make a bit of money at it. Using the internet, craft shows and other sources to sell. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Lori
www.countryhandsandheart.etsy.com
www.farmgirlinthemaking.blogspot.com
Farmgirl at Heart #397

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  08:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good idea! I don't think I've actually ever seen hand embroidered items for sale, new, that is, I've seen vintage stuff. Especially if you could define a specific market, as in, vintage type patterns, or perhaps even certain specific eras. Most certainly something to think about, good luck!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  08:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Actually I would be doing more of the machine embroidery. I was lucky enought to purchase a bigger machine than what I currently have which will expand my design size quite a bit.

Lori
Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  05:57:14 AM  Show Profile
I sell my embroidery work through a few shops here locally. I plan on selling some of my work at my farm stand once it is officially opened.

You simply need to find your niche, what will sell, something that others are not offering and you will do fine! Kitchen towels always sell, so a good assortment for your customers to choose from is ideal. Potholders are the "new craze" for embroidery around here, so you will need to do a little looking around to see what is "new" in your area. Keep in mind that it is easy to follow a trend, just put your own touches on it.

Wishing you all the success in following your dream!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  10:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the suggestions! From what I have been told the market is pretty open in my area. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people doing embroidery unless it's large commercial type jobs so I might be on to something. Will keep you posted.

Lori
Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  05:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Lori, Not sure if its a Texas thing..but I know a lot of youth sports teams get items embroidered. During hockey season I work part time at a rink, which also has volleyball courts. A woman sets her table up near the courts & embroiders items right there as well as having some ready to go. She has things like t-shirts & fleece blankets. Teams get their #'s & names put on back packs, jackets, & other items. I know the soccer teams do it as well as hockey. I am sure there are more. If that's not something going on up there currently, you could start a new trend.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Embroidery Business for Moms and Kids Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page