Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
White Heath IL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  4:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I'm wondering about your terms of use. I see that you guys retain copyright/ownership of text on this forum. Does that include text users post? I write a column for my local paper, and I'd love to post it here, but I want to retain ownership/copyright of my work.

Thanks!

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  10:23:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary,
I write a newspaper column also and my newspapers wouldn't want me to post my work online anywhere but on their online sites. Copyright is a tricky thing. How about just providing a link to it online on your newspaper's site and as a footnote on your signature?

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

marylucille
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
White Heath IL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  05:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, MaryJane.

Actually, I have already checked with my newspaper, and I maintain my rights to publish my work anywhere. (It is one of my conditions for publication.) They don't have an online site, (very small papers) :) but great idea about providing a link. Thanks. I'm mainly concerned with my rights to publish columns later in book form, and other newspapers. If I posted one here already before thinking about your link idea, did I shoot myself in the foot for that? What about images? For example, I'd like to include a shot of my book cover.

Thanks so much! I love your magazine.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  08:22:32 AM  Show Profile
You should definitely include a shot of your book cover to promote your work and then links to your own blog or the newspaper's. You can "talk about" your column and cross-link until the cows come home. If you do that, put a copyright tag line on your actual blog and you're all set! That way, you have flexibility down the road to use your content however you see fit.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

marylucille
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
White Heath IL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  8:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh, great ideas! Thanks so much.

Walk in Beauty; Work in Peace; Blessed Be.

www.marylucille.gather.com

Go to Top of Page

marylucille
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
White Heath IL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  09:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey, MaryJane, Good news! I just signed a contract with my bigger local paper who will pick up Birdland. They say I can publish it online or anywhere *except* the neighboring counties out here. Thanks for your help and the good ideas.

Walk in Beauty; Work in Peace; Blessed Be.

www.marylucille.gather.com

Go to Top of Page
  Technical Support: Previous Topic Terms of Use Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page