Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  2:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
In April my DH will turn 30. We have made a pact to always give each other gifts of "education or experience" rather than traditional gifts. (When it comes to the big stuff...we're allowed to buy each other tangible presents as well, but in the grand scheme of things we would rather be learning something, experiencing something, or traveling) Anyhow, I am brainstorming for his upcoming bday and am looking for suggestions. I would love to go to Mary Janes Farm & attend Pay Dirt Farm School, but we haven't saved up enough money yet. I'm thinking about a wine weekend at a vineyard, something hands on? or some sort of weekend festival in April? He is interested in getting his sommelier's licsence, so a winery would be perfect. He's also a history and science buff. Loves books, gardening, and learning to build and make just about anything.
Thanks for your help!
J

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile
I know that April isn't harvest time for grapes usually - but it might be pruning time in some areas of the country, as far as hands-on vineyard stuff is concerned -- that really sounds fun to me. There are some interesting vineyards/wineries popping up all over the country now, not just in Napa/Sonoma area - some in New York state, and even a couple in Colorado and Utah!

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  4:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I know...I am actually much more interested in visiting the smaller Vineyards in NY, New England, Oregon, etc. Not sure if we can do it in the spring, we may have to wait until later summer/early fall but just trying to brainstorm. I want his 30th to be special. Thank you for your input!

www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  11:52:27 AM  Show Profile
For my 30th, my husband and I went camping in a lovely red-rock area in Southern Utah - it was such a luxury - in the middle of this, what I think is one of the most beautiful places on earth, he pulled out a bottle of cold champagne! Camping! Why had we never thought of that before? Sometimes it's the little touches that can make things so much fun - I'm sure that whatever you do, he'll love it. I think my spouse was a little embarassed to get me what I wanted for that birthday, a big old dictionary - a BIG one - but he got it and lugged it on that trip too!

I spent a week at MaryJanes Pay Dirt Farm School,and I have to say that it was one of the greatest weeks of my life - so inspiring - restful and active at the same time, and I learned so much. I give that idea a HIGH recommendation. Plus, the wall tents are wonderful to stay in.

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  5:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Anne,
We can't wait to stay there! But it's going to take some saving (or a lucky lottery ticket)before we can both go. Both of us have a dream of living on a modified farm, and the kind of hands on experience they offer is something that would take a lifetime to learn any other way. It is high on our list of future destinations. For Christmas this year I got my husband a day at a glass blowing studio. He collects glass (mostly by accident, he just ends up with blue bottles somehow), and is always mezmerized by vintage & handmade glass. Anyhow, I have a friend who is a glassblower, and he got to spend a day at her studio one-on-one with her. He is still giddy about it. Loves learning & seeing how things are made. He got to make a flower, a paperweight, and a drinking glass. He's not one to make a big deal of his birthday, and alot of our good friends have moved recently, so I don't know if a party is going to happen. I'm still thinkin'.
Your camping trip sounds wonderful. And I love that he brought along (and was able to hide from you) the big dictionary!

www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any ideas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page