westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  3:51:57 PM  Show Profile
I dont know how many times in the past 2 to 3 wks. I was trying something or looking up something to try or needed to know how to sew something(not the best at sewing) or try a new recipe or needed something organic, my point is this; I found my answer everytime and all IN THE SAME PLACE, MARYJANES BOOK!! If you dont have it get it! I have always used an older book with all kinds of things in it & it's great but it's not centered on the things women do everyday, MJ's book is. It doesn't sit on a shelf, it's on my all important kitchen counter on a book ledge w/ a page saver. Cant wait for more Maryjane!! Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  4:02:27 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean. I use it a lot as well. It sits on my coffee table for easy access. I am letting a friend look at it right now. I haven't had it for a week, I am having withdrawals.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Feb 04 2006 4:03:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  4:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Michele,

I am with ya'. I curl up with MJ's book daily. Now that I have her mags I curl up with those, too. I find nostalgia and every day skills in both the book and mags.

When I tell others about her stuff I do give the comparison of Martha Stewart, but oh so much better. When I looked at Martha's stuff, I often felt compelled to do everything and was almost competitive about it all. With MaryJane, I feel like I have found a friend and here at the site I feel I have found lots of kindred spirits and friends. No hype, no competition, no drive to be better than someone else....just encouragement, like mindedness, and warm fuzzies.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  4:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey again...I was writing before Julia's post was posted and I just read it. Ya' know, I haven't even lent my book out. I let gals look at it here or while we're at lunch....I am just too possessive!! I'm saving up to buy a second book....one with MJ's autograph! Then I just might be able to let go of the other one every now and then.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  4:52:28 PM  Show Profile
It never leaves the kitchen table at my house. Aubrey

If you want the best seat in the house ... move the dog. My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained !
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  10:12:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm the same way -- find myself going to it time & again in the few weeks I've had my own copy. Like cajungirl, I'm hoping to save enough for an autographed copy so I can share my other one with friends and spread the good word!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  06:38:34 AM  Show Profile
The thing I like best about MJ's book, magazine or herself is this; Martha Stewart would do things but I always felt is was geared for the "rich & famous" she would use equipment most women didnt have and alot of us didn't WANT. MJ shows you the "real" way to do things and you dont have to have alot of money to do it, it's healthier and it's back to basics, for me thats what I want. Michele

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  06:43:32 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by westernhorse51

The thing I like best about MJ's book, magazine or herself is this; Martha Stewart would do things but I always felt is was geared for the "rich & famous" she would use equipment most women didnt have and alot of us didn't WANT. MJ shows you the "real" way to do things and you dont have to have alot of money to do it, it's healthier and it's back to basics, for me thats what I want. Michele

I agree!!! I love Martha stuff but it would cost me and arm and a leg to do some of the stuff she does. Her recipes look yummy but a lot of it you have to buy special equipment from her website and it's expensive!!! Not worth it to me. I love MaryJane's book!!! So much more down to earth and simple, like me!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  09:42:34 AM  Show Profile
Ditto on the Martha thought. I always feel I am not the right in "class".

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  12:18:21 PM  Show Profile
It's my homestead bible, can't wait for the next one!!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  1:06:56 PM  Show Profile
I love how workable her ideas and solutions are, too - I don't think that book has stayed closed for an entire week since I bought it. I like Martha's stuff, but somehow I end up feeling discouraged after I try something and it doesn't end up "perfect" instead of inspired, like I feel when I make a "bake-over" and my family likes it!

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  4:12:50 PM  Show Profile
I ordered MJ's book on line yesterday and now I can't wait to get it. I have 1 magazine now and really like it so I think I will love the book. Ohio is in it's cold winter now so I will have lots of time to read. Do any of you have a particular section that you turn to more than others? I would like to hear your opinions.

Happiness is country life!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  06:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Mag, you will LOVE the book. Can't say enough good things about it. I don't have one particular section that I 'always' refer to but right now I'm planning my spring garden and I used her book to refer to websites for organic seeds and such. Ended up ordering 45.00 worth of seeds!! I also refer to the cleaning and laundry section quite a bit as well as the cooking to get a few recipes. If you sew there is a large section on that. As well as just good reading. MaryJane tells a lot of stories of when she was growing up. I love also to just sit and look at the wonderful pictures she has in there.
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Is MJ's book similar to Carla's "Encyclopedia to Country Living"?

With such rave reviews, I will have to look deeper into this.

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  09:36:12 AM  Show Profile
Nope..you have to have both!!
It is very different in alot of ways.
I honestly couldn't live without either one!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  10:26:39 AM  Show Profile
I work for a library system, on a bookmobile, and I spotted MJ's book one day in November, sitting on a shelf for one of our patrons.

I took it with me on my run that day and when I had a few minutes, checked out this website. Now I am ADDICTED! I check out the new topics umpteen times a day.

I also have one of our system's copies of her book checked out and don't want to give it back!!! Actually, I have one on order for myself. My job doesn't pay very well (it's only 24 hours a week, no benefits) but one perk is I can usually get books for forty percent off the cover price. Once my own copy arrives, I will bring the system's copy back!

A long-time friend/pen pal of mine will probably be visiting me this spring. I'm thinking of ordering a copy as a gift for her to take back to Australia. She's a gardener, etc., and would love the book, I think.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  1:41:07 PM  Show Profile
"Is MJ's book similar to Carla's "Encyclopedia to Country Living"?"

Maybe this isn't a news flash to any of you, but I was doing a search on Dogpile for Carla Emery (I'd heard of her but didn't know much about her so wanted to learn more) and it says she died in October 2005, from complications of low blood pressure!!! She had been on tour and was heading home (I think it said)... geesh!

Karin

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  2:11:01 PM  Show Profile
Most of knew soon after it happened...really sad..she was a sweetheart.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  06:36:45 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I'm glad you have both and can say that both are needed. I'll put it on my 'have to get' book list.

Carla was a great gal. She had a smile that would light up the room and the kindness in her heart to go with it. I will miss not hosting at our place again this summer or seeing her at the IL homesteader weekend.

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com

Edited by - MullersLaneFarm on Feb 09 2006 06:38:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  09:06:26 AM  Show Profile
She came to my house a couple times when we hosted her too...what a doll, huh? She is going to sure be missed!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  3:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a privilege to get to meet her, I would have liked too. I need to get her book, I just borrowed one from my friend , but she has moved. AAA!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic relying on MJ's book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page