Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic weight Next Topic  

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  06:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Ok the dreaded but true, I really need to lose weight but soon as I think the word I am non stop hungry. Any suggestions? I am now off for summer which crazy as it sounds I do better, less stress I guess.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rae- Try drinking 8 ounces of cold cold water whenever you are tempted to snack. It helps fill your stomach and rehydrate at the same time. I have been told that our bodies confuse the hunger and thirst impulse so sometimes when we are thinking we are hungry we are actually thirsty. That is what I am trying to do to curb my snacking. That and just staying SUPER busy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  09:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Rae, this wont help you lose weight but it kinda helps your feelings when you put on more weight, Awhile back I was at the hospital in London and one of my friends from high school is a nurse there, we were discussing how each of us had put on pounds since school days. She said the sweetest thing to me (Now Wilma the good lord knew I would be getting older so he put these little pockets around our waist and hips so we could stay warm in the winter time. So I guess its true to say everything serves a purpose. Good luck with your diet

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  10:17:09 AM  Show Profile
THank you a good positive spin to it. When I am home I drink a lot more water so hopefully that will start to help. Such an emotional eater but with farm slowing coming to reality am hoping that also will help and certainly will be BUSY!!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  6:41:14 PM  Show Profile
OK, here is what I am doing, & I need to lose a bag of dog food(the big one girls, the one you ask hubby to take in the house for you).. The caveman or paleo diet. Eat all the meat, fruit, veggies, nuts, that you want. I am also modifying to include some good dairy. No sugar, no flour, no potatoes, no grains & no legumes. I know these are good for you, but this works for me cause you do not have to limit portions at all. Mt sis's friend, who suffered from bad arthritis, (did not need to lose weight, she was skinny) did this diet & lost 20 lbs(is even skinnier now.. ) & has NO arthritis. Sugar & carbs can cause bad inflammation. Anyway, I have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks.. feel better, not bloated, and have had some great meals. I made a pizza with a cauliflower, egg, cheese crust, & had cauliflower fried rice(very tasty & filling). Also made some rhubarab crisp with whey protein powder as the crispy part on the top & sweetened the rhubarb with stevia. It takes some commitment and adjustment, but is really not hard at all. Of course I was not a sugar eater anyway. My bad thing..Lite beers, I go for the Miller Lite..3 carbs & 90 calories.
The low carb diets have gotten a bad rap cause most people on it were overloading on fat & cheeses(can't eat bacon & cheese topped prime rib daily), but if you do it right, with lots of veggies & good nuts, it is really very healthy.
I have several options,; I just make sure to avoid the bad stuff, & instead eat a handful of nuts.. like macadamia.. c'mon, those are tasty!!
Anyway, just my 2 cents. I could never count points & eat all those desserts that were loaded with junk anyway, like they sell with many of these diet plans.
This is just good back to basics food, minus a few things.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  7:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah.. just wanted to post a few more things, lest you guys think I am depriving myself.. Tonight we had grilled, marinated flat iron steak.. kinda southwestern style with cumin etc. Grilled portabella mushrooms, grilled, marinated garlic scapes, and grilled asparagus.. Ummm ... where is the hard part??
& another benefit.. I take a diuretic for my blood pressure & it still at times runs borderline high. Well, my top # is down close to 10 points & my bottom # is down about 3 points.(in 2 weeks time) If this keeps up, I may be able to quit the meds altogether.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  04:12:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa, I did that one before and it did work as well. I am not a sugar type food person as I usually crave salt. I need something that doesn't make me think Diet, I know I am nuts but that is me :-) You had an awful nice meal there by the way!!!
I know sugar is a nasty thing and really need to learn to keep away from that. I appreciate everyones feed back though, and they are good ideas.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  05:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Rae - I would totally suggest a food diary. However my suggestion is that you write it down BEFORE you eat it. I started one for one of the farmgirl merit badges and it is EYE OPENING!! I REALLY need to lose weight. I'd like to lose about 75 pounds. I dont eat a lot but my problem is what I eat and when I eat it. In just four days I have realized how much I eat later in the day and that I tend to crave sweet things or breads/pastas.

Anyway - last night at 9:15 I was gonna eat 5 oreo cookies. Well I went to write it down and saw how much I had eaten already and decided instead on 2 cookies. Maybe tomorrow I will choose no cookies!

The hardest thing for me is my Husband! He can eat bread, candy bars, cookies and drink cokes all day and NEVER gain a pound! He also likes to go out for icecream a lot. ITS NOT FAIR!!!

Also - you mentioned you werent really into sugar etc but sugar(and HFCS!!YUCK!!) hides in a lot of things. Salad dressings are the worst! I switched to balsamic vinegar only on my salads! Much healthier for you. I reduce mine on the stove (I dont add any sugar) until it is a little thicker and store it in the fridge! YUM!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  06:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Yeah sugar is in almost everything ;-( My husband can eat and eat and then eat some more as well. I look at the food and well.....That sounds like a good idea as I know I don't think about what I shove in my mouth so if I see it....Just having people I can tell this to helps a lot!!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  1:13:09 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Julie, a food diary is the way to go and an eye opener. With mine I count calories and fat content only.. In order to lose weight a person needs to eat less than 30 grams of fat per day. That is my guideline and it does work. Good luck.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:14:51 PM  Show Profile
I think folks should do what works for them. Me, I would agree with Julie...write down what you eat. Add up the calories, fat grams and sugars if you have a book to look things up. Weigh portions and record them in your diary/journal. I am doing this and it truly has opened my eyes. It helps me to see where I'm lacking or overeating, write down adjustments and make them the next day. Diets are great but what I find is that I can't stick to one for very long without feeling like I'm being tortured. I kind of get into my little diet journal each day and look things up when I have a chance and do my additions along the way to let me know what I've got left. Surprising how much I am teaching myself doing this striving to get in more veggies, less fat, etc. I eat from the basic food groups like the food pyramid. I too have those days when I am starving and other days when I can get by without much to eat. I personally think that's hormones but I just go with the flow and eat if I'm hungry trying to make good choices. Also, I started making iced coffees at home...they are like dessert and if you use skim milk and sugar free flavorings, it's almost a "freebie." I do that while DH is having his ice cream in the evenings. I use decaf.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Ingrid, I too keep track of fat but I'm allowed more than you are for some reason. I am allowed 45 grams a day on the plan I'm on...I will not call it a diet even though it sure seems like one sometimes.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:33:25 PM  Show Profile
That word diet is just plain nasty. I think the journal will help because sometimes I grab and don't even think until it is long gone. Appreciate the ideas and support. My support and best goes to all of you on this same battle.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  04:34:31 AM  Show Profile
Rae...I am going to Weight Watchers and am loving it!! We count points for everything. Now When I started I wrote everything down but since I've been foing it for awhile, I just kinda keep track in my head.
I have extra books and stuff I could send you if you are interested.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  10:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Rae:
It may sound crazy, but the days I have the over munchies I make myself lettuce sandwiches. I pile the lettuce on! A little mayo. Down it with water. Sometimes I'll have three lettuce sandwiches back to back. That's what helps me. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  5:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the info! Some really good ideas.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  8:20:03 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to update on my progress with my caveman/paleo diet. I have lost 6 lbs so far, not anything stupendous, but slow & steady, which is good. But here is the best thing. I take a diuretic for my BP, and have stopped taking it this week, while carefully monitoring my BP, to make sure it does not rise or get out of control. Well, I always ran borderline high, even with the meds, example..130/82..129/85.. 127/79 etc.. Well, my average today is....113/75. My last reading was 106/70... Soooo, I guess my diet is playing a big part in that. I still have my BP meds, but I will not take them unless things change for the worse.
It really is not a hard diet to follow; I even survived a Lutheran pot luck dinner today, leaving full & satisfied(just had to steer clear of the sweets table, & all of the homemade noodles!)
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  02:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Here is a wonderful site that allows you to keep an online journal and breaks down everything you eat into carbs, protein, fat and even vitamins and minerals. It is easy to use and lots of support groups and best of all it's free. They also have lots of free information you can read on various health issues and exercise videos you can watch and follow along with. I hope this helps someone. It is a great site and well worth a look.
http://www.sparkpeople.com/

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  03:39:26 AM  Show Profile
Lisa
Congrats!!! Wow what a great change in the BP. Amazing what even a little off will do for a person. I haven't gotten into anything yet. Just getting over a rotten, nasty cold and was too tired to really care about anything. Hopefully will be able to start focusing on things now.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I agree with Jami - do what works for you. Keep a food diary if it helps.

I have a good friend who is a compulsive/emotional eater. We got to talking one day, and I expressed that I just ate when i was hungry, and stopped when I was full. Some meals I might not eat much at all, others I might eat a whole plate's worth and then some, but I rarely ever gorge (I probably eat the least of anyone save the finicky kids at Thanksgiving!). She said if she could just change her perspective to food to something closer to mine, she knows she wouldn't be 50 pounds overweight.

When I switched to being mostly vegan (I eat eggs, and the occasional fish, and once in a blue moon I'll have a little cheese) I lost plenty of weight. I eat mostly fruit and veggies, so I can fill up and not worry about gaining anything. I also drink a LOT of water.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Lynn
The diet I am on, while it does allow meat & some dairy, is very similar. If we load up on fruits & veggies, & eat smaller portons of the others, & drink water, it will happen. Unfortunately, for some, that is easier said than done & I admit I sometimes struggle when I am in a hurry & eat a piece of meat & some cheese. But I will not eat sugar or any of the white stuff. That is a given.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  10:27:18 PM  Show Profile
I know I metabolize protein easier and better than I do carbohydrates! I used to have an insatiable sweet tooth, but I find decreasing the carb intake has minimized my sugar craving. I still won't eat "fake" sugar or fat though. I'm allergic to sucralose and aspartame, so "diet" foods are out for me. It's very frustrating because a LOT of foods have sucralose hidden in the ingredients, even if they're not marked "low sugar". I have to read labels VERY carefully or I'll end up with a headache from Hades and vomiting. I agree with Jami; different things work for different folks. Good Luck!!!!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic weight Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page