Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 How do I get rid of Canadian Thistle?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic How do I get rid of Canadian Thistle? Next Topic  

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  12:12:00 AM  Show Profile
The spot where our garden is had Canadian Thistle in it, then for the last 2 years DH goes through it with a disk to break up the ground before tilling(clay soil). This just spreads the thistle and I fight it all garden season long.
Does anyone have a way to get rid of this nasty noxious intruder in my garden that won't kill my plants? I also have it in my lawn.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  06:05:05 AM  Show Profile
Is it the same as the thistle that gorws on the roadsides? If it is you should cut all the heads off and save them for when you start milking goats and make thistle head cheese! I am going to gather some where I know it doesn't get sprayed and do that one day. I guess it can be dried. But then when you get all the heads which have all the seeds you could break them up and they won't spread then. But wear armor!

Other than that and maybe putting black plastic on the ground for a few weeks to kill it, I don't know. I don't use the nasty Round-Up and don't know if other things would kill it.

I hope you get some good answers. But the cheese sounds good! You won't start milking til next year, right? But I think the heads can be dried.

Good luck. Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  07:54:17 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, I have done the weed killer and had success I have put it in the most weedy areas that are not on the grass or garden and the amount went down by half I dig every one I can find up try to get them when they are small. But for my garden I have taken to laying down newspaper about 4 sheets thick and puting the grass clippings or store bought compost or straw over the top the weeds in the garden have all but dissapered and I don't have to water as much.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  08:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
The real question is: DO YOU EVER REALLY GET RID OF CANADIAN THISTLE? LOL.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  8:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Kris, they are starting to come to heads, the purple heads. If you want them, tell me now and I'll cut off the heads and send them to you.

Diana, I'll try that approach with the garden. I have a big area next to the garden that is just covered wall to wall (so to speak)with this stuff. I've been trying to get is pulled up when it's little in the garden and carrying a little bucket I made out of a large can and bailing wire, then I dump it in my burn barrel so I won't get it growing anywhere else. Alas, since burning will be ceased here soon, I'm sure my barrel will runeth over.

Teresa, so true, you NEVER really get rid of all of it.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic How do I get rid of Canadian Thistle? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page