Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

shelley
ellijay ga
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  7:06:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,

I hate to even mention the word pesticide but I'm desperate. This is the first year that Me, Myself,and I have been "in charge" so to speak of the garden. In the years past my Granny and Mama have always made the decisions and I just done what they told me. LOL! They have always used 7 dust (I know, bad right) and I really want to try a healthier way of controlling the bugs. I don't know if it matters but heres what I have planted: white half runners, squash, okra, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, corn, zuchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkins, jalapenos. Does any one have any suggestions?

HELP PLEASE,

Shelley

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  07:36:34 AM  Show Profile
There are tons of great organic methods but it depends often on the type of pest you are dealling with. What critters have you got?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  7:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Neem oil is a good all around bug getter......

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #542

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  7:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Companion planting can help to trap bugs in some plants and repel bugs from some plants and attract beneficial insects like ladybugs, wasps, and preying mantises to your garden.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

paintnpencils
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

jessica
glen rock pa
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile
If you are so inclined I have read and researched about guinea hens and they eat all kinds of insects and can rid properties of deer ticks but are not known to eat your veggies like chickens do! I have also heard that you can use diotamateous earth dusting it on your plants it kills larva, but can get rained off. You can aslo buy lady bugs and praying mantis nests to help eat the bad bugs. They do also make bug vacumes but that can be very tedious, especially if you have a big garden! Good Luck!

each day is a new oportunity to create,improve, expand, and share.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  09:37:19 AM  Show Profile
Soap and water spray is good for aphids or bad for them and good for you. It works on other bugs too. Lady bugs, nematodes, companion planting and nightly picking--those all work. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

shelley crook
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

shelley
ellijay ga
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies!!! I have planted a few zinnias and marigolds, etc. to help with the bugs, and I will try the diotamateous earth also. I love the soap and water idea too and will also give it a try. I'm really not sure what "kind" of bugs it is, just the usual garden pests. Does anyone still use seven dust and if so is it really as bad for u as some people say it is?

May the Good Lord bless and keep you all
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  05:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Shelley, just wanted to be sure when you get the diatomaceous earth, that you get the kind that is not for pools. I have gotten some at a feed store here & that should be good. (I can't remember what the difference is, but I had read somewhere to not get the pool kind.) I didnt notice it working for me, but I wasnt very good about putting it out often enough.

I have also read that you can sprinkle some on your pets coat & in their food to kill fleas & any internal parasites, but not sure I would do that.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - FarmGirl~K on Jun 08 2009 05:28:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic organic pesticide Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page