AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  4:59:51 PM  Show Profile
I have two younger sons and take care of another preschool boy. The bathroom they use, constantly smells like urine. I know that this needs to be cleaned daily and I'm committed to doing that. However, I hate using expensive and wasteful clorox wipes. Does anyone else have this problem and perhaps solutions? What type of homemade cleanser can I use that will kill the smell? I have a one year old I take care of and another baby of my own on the way so I don't want to use anything that is toxic. And I'm also trying to cut the cost of expensive, landfill filling disposables.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  5:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Vinegar denatures the protiens in urine that make that smell and it also sanitizes. I would put straight vinegar in a spray bottle and just squirt everything down. Let it set for about a minute and then wipe. As vinegar dries it leaves a sweet fresh smell behind.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  2:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I must admit I am new to natural housecleaning and I was completely skeptical. I thought for sure my whole house would smell of vinegar. But I decided to try it anyway. And um well... this girl has been completely convinced. My bathrooms don't smell like cleaning products or artificial perfumes, nor do they smell of vinegar... what do they smell like... I think I've finally discovered the smell of CLEAN! And not to mention that my smell wary pregnant self is not sick at all, nor are the kids in danger if its left under the sink not locked up on the highest shelf... and just wait until my husband hears its for pennies on the dollar. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  9:13:53 PM  Show Profile
AyssaMarie:
Alee mentioned to me once all the uses of vinegar. I tried it, and love it. I love the sweet smell.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Oh the joys of little boys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page