Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 HOW HARD IS BEAD WORK?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HOW HARD IS BEAD WORK? Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  10:52:33 AM  Show Profile
thinking about doing some bead work, seems like a lot of it going on out there. but all those pins and wires etc. is this hard to do? maybe I should get some advise on this before I get over run with beads.
Nancy Jo

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  12:08:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure about other types of beadwork, but I've done a little in a loom that I bought back in the time when "Tandy Leather" was still a store around here, but I've never done "off the loom" work. Beading with a loom is fun, relatively easy and you can create some really beautiful things. What type of things were you thinking of?

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Well anne, I really wasn't sure. Maybe to sew some beads onto something, or braclets, or holliday decor. Just one more thing to put in my basket. But the beads are so pretty, especialy the glass ones. Sponds like your loom work is way advanced for little ole me. sounds really pretty though.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  1:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Nancy- I think bead work is fun and easy. There are a lot of bead stores in my town and they can offer great advise as to types of thread and beads. I like to add a small amount to jeans or shirts purses are fun and of course I love jewelry. I made a couple necklaces in an extra long length when I could not find just what I wanted at the store. My secret for jewelry is to use musky fishing line- it's like 80lb test and won't break very easily. Great for those long necklaces. The other great thing about beads is your investment is small and you can do more as you become more experienced. Good luck- also check out garage sales where you can find some really cheap beads and supplies(that's how I started)
blessings
beth

A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself. Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz & Gilbertson are Dead"
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  1:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Beth,

You've beaded purses? I'd really like to learn how to do that. I bought a velvet lined purse that had a huge beaded flower on it at our annual town fair a couple of years ago. The vendor did it herself, but she lived too far away for me to beg her to teach me.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  2:57:28 PM  Show Profile
Lorij
when sewing beads on to something, do you make a knot between each bead? as you can see I haven't any idea what I'AM DOING.What kind of thread do you use. Boy I need a start from scratch book!!!!
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  3:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Beth
My son in law fishes, I will ask him about that fish line, how do you hook it together when you are done stringing the beads. i have two very old purses that are all beaded, would be great to someday do something like that!!
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile
The only beadwork I've done was native American on brain tanned leather. Lazy stitch, peyote stitch, running stitch. It was real relaxing and not as painful as quill work!!!

I make a few bracelets for neices with beads

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com

Edited by - MullersLaneFarm on Feb 09 2006 11:33:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  12:14:58 PM  Show Profile
see if you can find a bead shop that gives classes. after i left maryland, our doll club girls continued to get together and they got into 'beading' .. and oh my gosh!!! the fabulous jewelry they did make! i, personally, would NEVER have the patience .. but it is oh so lovely!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

BGKnits
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Bonnie
Cedar Rapids IA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  10:06:30 AM  Show Profile
I crochet rope bracelets. It's really easy and fun to do. All you need is O, E, or size 8 beads, No. 10 crochet cotton and a steel crochet hook. If anyone is interested, I can send copies of the instructions. I've made over 200 of them in the last year!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  6:25:18 PM  Show Profile
bonnie
that sounds interesting, I would like a copy of the instructions, should I e'mail you my address or do you want to put them on this site? Thanks Bonnie.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  6:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I love glass beads. I bead anything, really - picture frames, lampshades, old bottles to use a rooters, etc. Sometimes I make jewelry- I've done the wide Indian bracelets on a loom and all that before. Love the seed beads best. I find it relaxing, mu hubby takes one look and calls it "tedious."

Would love to fire my own beads - I think that would be awesome! I know a girl who makes her own glass beads and stuff, I had her make me a little green frog that I want to use on something.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  07:35:05 AM  Show Profile
lYNN
Do you ever post pictures, would like to see your work. i have a whole big bowl of beads, just not sure what to start with.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  4:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Nancy- A simple first project is to go to the bead store- or Joann's- and get some stretchy clear cord, pick out some stone or glass beads you like and mix in a silver charm or two- simply string them along and tie this off (you can make it a bracelet(about 6 1/2- 7 inches or a necklace about 17 inches- measure with the cord loose and then add a few inches of cord for tying it off). Some types of this cord are better than others, ask around or just give it a try- and you will play around with a combo of knots until you feel it is secure. This way you can see if you like beading without a hugs investment. If you do then get some beading tools (they sell kits of little pliers and wire cutters), some fishing line or thin beading wire, crimps, and clasps. have fun, order a beading magazine, email with questions. There was a great article on wire wrapping (very popular right now) with very specific instructions in a Martha Stewart mag (I think May 2005- check at the library).
Good Luck, Rebekka

Edited by - Rebekka Mae on Feb 12 2006 6:34:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  4:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka
Thanks for all the tips, I will try the bracelet idea to start with, and go from there, and I will check out good ole Martha. Thanks.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HOW HARD IS BEAD WORK? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page