True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  6:35:55 PM  Show Profile
My Dad always says "Were you born in the basement and never brought up?"
(where's your manners???????)

If found standing in front of the boob tube (my Grandma's saying for the tv) my Grandpa (Stormin' Norman) would tell us "You make a better door, than a window."

Oh, and my Great Grandma used to call people "Whatchicallit" if she couldn't remember someone's name.

And Jessie, my Mom always said she was going to come over to my house and spit toothpaste on my mirrors. Turns out she doesn't have to, my bratty kids do it for her.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on May 28 2009 6:42:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  07:26:40 AM  Show Profile
My gramma used to say Whichicallit and Thingamanging.
I always told my son one day I'm going to drive all over your lawn. He would drive to grampa's (who lives next door) by driving on the lawn between our houses.
He just brought a new house with 6 acres of land and he said I could drive anywhere I wanted to.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  07:30:42 AM  Show Profile
My boss calls people (who he can't remember their names) "whogifudgit". Now, unfortunately, I do the same!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile

when we were kids and get into trouble, Daddy would say, "I'm going to slap you silly". he never did slap us but just the thought straitened us right up.

The very last thing I said to Momma when I left the nursing home the day before she died was, "write if you find work". That is a saying that the Okies said as friends or family left for CA during the depression. I always said it to her as I left. She would always answer back that she was not looking for work.

"Need to get home before dark" was one that my grandparents and then my parents always said. I always wondered why, didn't they have headlights? Guess who says it now? We are out after dark so seldom that we have a hard time finding the lights on the car. But then, we have to shut the chicken house door before the coons show up. So home before dark makes sence.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  09:21:47 AM  Show Profile
I used to say "You better be home before the street lights come on". I think I sound like my dad.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

urpedonmommy
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  5:47:05 PM  Show Profile
My Grandma always threatened to "beat you with a wet noodle" and would ask "And do you throw Papa down the stairs his pajamas?" when our grammar was bad. (she was also vehement about answering "this is she" instead of "this is her" when speaking on the phone. She was a schoolteacher)
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile
I find myself saying to my teenage son...."What do ya think, I was born old and stupid?"

My favorite is the line under my name below and another my Gma used to say was, "Don't put it down, put it away".

My mom used to tell me when I was sad, "Keep your dobber up!"...what's a dobber anyway?

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sayings Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page