Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Just a Word, and then I'm Done
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just a Word, and then I'm Done Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile
There's been a lot of discussion amongst us lately about buying American versus foreign automobiles, and because I am so close to the situation I have done my best to say very little because I know I can't be objective. What I've decided to do is say what I need to say here, in my own post, and you can choose to read it or not.

My great-grandfather was one of the original sit-down strikers that lead to unionization at GM. My grandfather retired from GM. My father worked at GM for 30 years, and now he works for the UAW. Aunt Punky is married to Uncle Nels, who retired from GM. Uncle John works at GM. Aunt Sue is married to Uncle Mike, and they both work at GM. Uncle Dave works at GM. Grandma has Grandpa's GM pension. So, as you can see, I am from a GM family.

But my family is from Flint, where GM started. For us, buying GM products and encouraging our friends and neighbors to do the same is a way of preserving our livelihood. Had I grown up in a city that made Fords, I would buy a Ford. And if I grew up in a city that made Toyotas, I would buy a Toyota.

Maybe what we should be looking at, instead of foreign or domestic is LOCAL. Look at your town. Look at your state. What cars are made there? Who employs YOUR friends and neighbors?

We are more interconnected than we realize. When our neighbors lose their jobs, our whole community suffers. People with no income contribute no income taxes, which mean layoffs for police, firefighters, ambulance crews, and teachers. Unemployment explodes, and unemployed people don't shop for non-necessities, leading to closings of stores, theaters, and other service-based businesses...putting even MORE people out of work. People who lose their healthcare insurance don't go to doctors or dentists, so our professionals move somewhere where they can make a living, too. People who are evicted from their homes don't mow the lawn or paint the porch, which contributes to blighted neighborhoods.

Perhaps the solution isn't splitting hairs about what percentage of an automobile is made in America or abroad. Perhaps it isn't about what is best for "ME" in the short-term. Driving 15 minutes down the road to the local Buy More may save you 15 cents on cans of peas, but what does it do to the local shopkeeper and his employees? Perhaps the best solution is to look LOCALLY for everything we need: local food, local crafts, local professional services, local businesses, and local automobiles.

When we invest in our community, we reap the rewards. That is a simple equation.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  2:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Well said Jessie. Local buying is always the way to go.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  2:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Jessie- That's how it used to be- people bought local and the local economies were strong. I try to buy from local businesses first and then others as a last resort. Maybe if more of us did that, we would eventually see a ripple effect and an improvement.
I hope that your family will be okay through all of the upheaval at GM.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Amen Jessie---buy local no matter what!!!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  5:03:29 PM  Show Profile
I agree!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  6:55:19 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree, too. So if Chattanooga is building a VW plant there and they start making VW's is that considered a local car now? All local people will be working there and parts will be made there (maybe?) and the cars will be assembled there. I love VW's and would love to have another one.

I try to go to the small mom and pop type stores. I do not go to Walmart anymore. I grow most of our food. I buy thrift store clothes. I won't even go to the road side stands where I know they get tomatoes from Fla. now. And I would love a big ripe juicy tomato but will wait for mine to come in. I even buy plants from a local nursery that grows them theirselves.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  7:14:56 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree.....loyalty to our neighbors and community should play a part in where we shop and spend our money. Kristin, I have to tell you I do buy Georgia peaches - yummy! :) And Georgia is only 20 minutes away from our Florida city.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  04:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Jessie, you said it very well.

I haven't been here on this forum since hearing the news Monday morning that my plant is closing by June of next year, or sooner if market conditions demand. My heart is heavy and I wasn't sure what I wanted to write, if anything.

I will probably still have a job, but not in this community. The nearest possibility is an hour and a half away. Likewise, my husband, as a regional manager, will still have a job, but he will no longer be located here. The most logical place for him to go is the Detroit metropolitan area, three hours from here. Lucky for us. Not everyone will have those options, due to family constraints or job skills or other reasons.

The effect on the local community will be devastating. Not because my husband and I will be leaving, but because of the economic footprint that the plant created here. Income tax, property tax, sales tax, United Way and other charities - paid by the company and paid by the employees will all be !poof! gone, next year. Not to mention the retail businesses that the employees patronized. Michael Moore made that movie about Flint - our community is much much smaller than Flint and the percentage of the population employed by GM or dependent on someone in the family working for a local supplier or dealer is probably as big or bigger.

On the bright side, crack cocaine dealers and pawnshops businesses will probably flourish...

I am constantly amazed by the array of vehicles on the road in our area that are not made "locally". Even in the GM parking lot, sad to say. People really don't seem to realize how important their purchasing decisions are.

So once again I will find a new home in a new community - the seventh in my adult life - dig up a new garden, start a new compost pile, and plant some new fruit trees, and wait for the fruit to grow.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  07:06:06 AM  Show Profile
Jessie - hope your job situation lookks brighter soon. All of these job losses are so heartbreaking!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  09:22:10 AM  Show Profile
L - Loving
O - Our
C - Communities
A - At
L - Last

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  11:02:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for writing that Jessie. My husband lost his job in Feb from the Freightliner Truck Manuf. Co. They are now making those trucks in Mexico. I wish these companies would just realize what their decisions do to THEIR country.
Let us all be more aware of buying local.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just a Word, and then I'm Done Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page