Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What's more Farmgirl than pie?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's more Farmgirl than pie? Next Topic
Page: of 2

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  11:17:13 AM  Show Profile
I just found this great pie place one town over from me. The pie is great, the store is great, the owner is great...I think she would make an excellent subject for a MJF magazine article! (She just won the 2009 Crisco / Food Network Bakeoff.) She's a real Farmgirl, and she doesn't even know it yet!

Here's the link: http://www.sweetie-licious.com/aboutus.htm

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  12:12:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm off to Dewitt! Hey whatever happened to the retro fabric/knitting store that was on the corner there?

BTW, I love pie.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  2:25:47 PM  Show Profile
ooh I just live in the wrong place...lol. If its not something exciting out west, its way up north. :D Sounds wonderful!!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  8:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Sadly, Lavender & Peonies went out of business. The storefront is empty now. They had such great stuff, but I think they had a bad location.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  03:36:09 AM  Show Profile
Mmmmmmm, pie.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  05:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Not very many good pie places around here :(

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  08:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! Talk of pie brings back great memories for me. We have a cabin in the mountians that my family started building when I was 4 years old. I often went on weekends with my dad and sometimes my grandfather would go too. After we worked all morning and afternoon we would go into town to a little restraunt for coffee and pie. They had great pie- nice flaky crusts and wonderful filling!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  11:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
yes! pie,yum.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  2:44:28 PM  Show Profile
Lavender and Peonies...that was it. Drove through there about a week ago and saw that the store was closed. :-( boo hoo I got a great farmer's market bag there once and some wonderful fabric for tea towels....
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  3:48:31 PM  Show Profile
I love "Norske Nook" in Osseo, WI. Every time we drive up north, we stop in for pie and coffee there. They have been featured in Midwest Living magazine and Chicago Tribune.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  06:44:53 AM  Show Profile
You gals in Michigan have great pies!

I love the Aschatz pie company in Troy. I got introduced to them when I lived in Rochester Hills, I had a sample of their Michigan five-berry pie (I think it was blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, cherry and strawberry) and it was to die for!

My then-fiance, now-husband was impressed too. He insisted we have pie instead of cake at our wedding. I had one of the guests pick up the pie order and bring it down to Ohio.

Imported pies!

The wedding guests almost had a fight over the caramel-apple pie.
They actually cut the pies before we (bride and groom) got done with our dinner.... My uncle was afraid he wouldn't get a piece of the caramel-apple.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  12:29:51 PM  Show Profile
I remember spending the summer with my grandparents in the Twin Cities and every Sunday after church we went to Poppin' Pies. I wish we had good pie shops in the northwest!! Although I do remember stopping at a cafe in East Glacier, Montana and buying a Huckleberry pie on a trip with my folks and my best friend and her family - we stopped at a rest area and that was lunch
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on May 31 2009 12:31:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  1:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
mmm! Pie for lunch! What a fantastic idea!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  5:48:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah - and one of the things that always stuck in my mind about Jack Kerouac's On the Road was that he had apple pie and ice cream for breakfast all the way across the midwest:) "Pie - it's not just for dessert"
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

paintnpencils
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

jessica
glen rock pa
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  6:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Where is the pie shop? My family has a cottage up north of traverse city, we spend several weeks up there in the summer. We always take a road trip to find new places up there each year, to shop and eat! It sounds like a great place

each day is a new oportunity to create,improve, expand, and share.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  6:42:22 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE baking pies! I think I'll go huckleberry picking this summer and bake up a pie for Christmas from frozen huckleberries! We don't have any great pie shops that I know of here, but I do love to bake my own =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  2:53:35 PM  Show Profile
The pie shop is in DeWitt, Michigan. Dewitt is about 10 miles north of Lansing on Old US 27.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  7:55:37 PM  Show Profile
We really do'nt have any pie shops here in Alvin, Texas that I'm a where of. But I love baking pies and when I do It is gone within 24 hours.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  5:46:12 PM  Show Profile
This post makes me think about when my husband's grand mother passed away in 1994. She was a farm wife and mother, raised two farmer sons and lived up the road from the farm for the rest of her life, until her death at 92. When we went to clean out her house we found a homemade apple pie in the freezer, something Grandma would never had been without. She always made an extra to freeze just in case she had company. Then she would pull it out, bake it, and have a steaming pie to serve her guests.

I was the fortunate family member...I got the tin that pie was made in!!

CArrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I my interest was peaked so I peaked at the web-site. TOOOO cute. Also looked at the map and it is only 3 hours away so now I'm wondering when I might have a day free to drive up and eat pie :) I must also tell you I made my first Heirloom Boston Marrow Squash pie for Thanksgiving and it was a hit, everyone loved it. So next spring plant Heirloom Boston Marrow Squash seeds ladies !!!! And then save those seeds !! My biggest squash was a mere 32 lbs.

Tammyb
Sisterchick 541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Yummmmmmmmm, I LOVE Pie! My favorites are apple and peach (with vanilla ice cream on the side). A old family friend Florence (who passed many years ago) made the best pie ever. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find pie that even compares to hers anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Pie ROCKS! Top on my list of favorite sweets. I can't wait until the end of summer so I can make a delicious scuppernong pie...yes...I'm from the South...can y'all tell?!?!
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  8:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
My favorite is lemon meringue - I've had lemon meringue pie for my birthday instead of cake every year since I was 7, except for a couple of years recently where I didn't have anything at all because we were in the middle of moving and never got around to it. I always make them from "scratch" (I use sweetened condensed milk and graham crackers from a box (for the crust), so it's not entirely from scratch, but close enough.)

There are a couple of places around here that sell pies that are pretty good - one is a local orchard, that in addition to fruit sells jams, jellies, and pies in their farm store, and the other is a local restaurant - they have a sign to advertise specials to travelers passing by on Rt. 15, and for a long time it said "Your wife called - bring home some pies!"

Oh! It just occurred to me - my other favorite pie is steak and kidney pie. I know it sounds weird, but it's really, really good - I grew up eating it, so by the time I figured out that kidneys were supposed to be icky, I was already hooked. ;-)

I'm hoping I can convince my husband to help me make one for my birthday dinner :-)

Lis
*the Sourceress*
unschooling mama to
Corwyn (4/99)
and Galen (5/01)
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  05:15:04 AM  Show Profile
Sigh...I just love pie!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  09:21:35 AM  Show Profile
My Grandma used to make the best peach pie. She would slice peaches and toss with sugar and put in a pie shell Then mix together a cup of whipping cream, 2 tbs flour and 2 eggs. Bake like a custard pie. YUMMMMM
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

dandelionhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

205 Posts

Debbie
Plymouth Mass
USA
205 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  3:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Pie is my husbands absolute favorite desert! He will take pie over any other sweet offereings any day... His love of pie goes way back to his summer days as a boy on an island where wild blackberries were plentiful. My mother in law recently shared a memory in writing of how he coerced her into baking him a blackberry pie. It goes like this.

When we first began going to our summer cottage, the children discovered that some parts of the island were covered with blackberries. David developed a fondness for them, although most of us declared them too SEEDY. It became his habit to tell me that if I would bake a blackberry pie, he would gather the blackberries. I was willing although not overly enthusiastic. David soon found that the foray for blackberries was fraught with hazards: the heat of summer; many vines loaded with thorns,and mosquitoes. Therefore,he planned his uniform for blackberry hunting. In spite of the heat he wore a long yellow raincoat, a yellow rubber fisherman's hat, and high rubber boots! Thus armed he set off on his quest. A couple of hours later, he would triumphantly return with a can filled to the brim with large, plump blackberries. The rest was up to me. Since we were seven miles from a store, the crust was home made, not fished out of the freezer in the grocery store. When baked, it looked delicious with a lovely brown crust decorated with purple streams of lucious blackberry juice. Thanks to David's indomitable efforts. It was enjoyed by all.

I love this story because it so describes my husbands nature... He's like a cat with it's pray. He still goes hunting and brings home the treasure then waits to see what I'll do with it only he brings me cast off furniture, fabric and yes, even stocks of rhubarb from the very same island where he went hunting for blackberries as a hopeful young boy.

I'm a wife who aims to please so I have been trying my hand at baking fruit pies. I learned to bake blueberry pie last year using organic berries from the market or fresh picked...I went to my tried and true betty crocker recipe book (the red and white checked one every has in their kitchen). The blueberry pies went over great with my family and gave me the confidene to attempt a blackberry/blueberry pie with fresh picked blackberries next and finally a strawberry/rhubarb pie for my hubby just LAST WEEK!

I can't tell you how thrilled we were with how it turned out and when I asked my hubby what he thought, he said ( along with our son) it's the best pie I've ever had... He's a dear, but not the type to dish out a compliment like that if it is not deserved...This farmgirl was so pleased that I finally got around to baking " his " favorite pie and it was a success to boot!

I do have one confession though, my crusts were NOT home made...I've been cheeting with store bought, but I'm ready to give it a go!

I bet Mary Jane sells's something I could use!

Here's to PIE!

farmgirl sister #1199

Deb~ a BEACH farmgirl at heart!

www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

" home is where we all craft the life of our dreams."

Edited by - dandelionhouse on May 25 2010 3:29:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's more Farmgirl than pie? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page