Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need ideas how to refinish....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need ideas how to refinish.... Next Topic  

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  06:54:13 AM  Show Profile
I got a beautiful old iron bed at an estate sale. I have always wanted one but never found one in my price range! Even in bad shape they are usually over $100 at flea markets around here! I was able to get this for $25! Anyhow it is quite rusty so I need some ideas how to refinish.

I have heard just to get the chunks off with steel wool and spray with Rustoleum before painting? Since I have never refinished anything like this (I usually just do old wood furniture!) I would love any advice! It is going to be for my daughter's room. Thanks! (I am going to try and post a picture of it too.... I just need to figure out how to do that!)

~Kristi
Farmgirl #474

"Grown men may learn from very little children, for the hearts of little children are pure, and, therefore, the Great Spirit may show to them many things which older people miss" ~Black Elk

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  07:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see it. Definitely take a "before" and "after" pic! I wish I could help you with the "how to", but I've never done metals before...I do know that steel wool is a good start, and make sure to wear gloves with that.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  07:01:52 AM  Show Profile
Kristi,
Just what you've said is how I've been told to do it. Steel wool and then rustoleum and painting. I have a brass vanity that I am fixing to do the same thing with :)
Best of luck with it! I can't wait to see pics :D
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  07:15:59 AM  Show Profile
Kristi,

My husband used to do refinishing so I asked him. He suggested as a first choice to bring it to a shop to have it sandblasted and then powder coated. Powder coating will lasts the longest. If you wanted to do it yourself, he suggested the steel wool (if there is paint on it use a chemical stripper in addition), clean it, prime it and then paint it. Hope this helps!

What a great find! I look forward to seeing pictures :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  07:38:43 AM  Show Profile
It depends on how bad the rust is. If it's really bad I would suggest using a power drill with a wire disk attachment (wear safety glasses), then steel wool. You can seal the rust in with a rust sealing primer made by Rustolium. This primer bonds with the rust but if painting white can bleed through if you live where it's damp. I would do at least two coats with the rust bonding primer. Then at least two if not three coats of paint. Powder coating is best if you can afford it and someone in your area does it.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  07:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great find! We got an iron day bed for Nora off of freecycle and I thought I was the luckiest girl! They are so nice, aren't they? Even when they need a little extra help.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile

~Kristi
Farmgirl #474

"Grown men may learn from very little children, for the hearts of little children are pure, and, therefore, the Great Spirit may show to them many things which older people miss" ~Black Elk
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  08:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Yea! I did it! I got a picture on there.... and it only took an hour to figure out!

As you can see it is pretty rusty. Really no paint on it. Thank you so much for the ideas. I guess I will first just try the steel wool? Will the Rustoleum stop the rusting process? Will it keep rusting? Because on the inside of the tube it is rusty as well, and I hate for it too keep rusting from the inside out! I think the owner had it outside for quite some time!

Thanks again!

~Kristi
Farmgirl #474

Edited by - Michigan Girl in TX on May 26 2009 08:19:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  08:02:53 AM  Show Profile
It is really sturdy though!

~Kristi
Farmgirl #474

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile
The rust sealing primer is supposed to inhibit the rust. I did a really badly rusted ornate bird cage with it and I have to paint it every spring as the rust spots creep thru the paint but it sits outside on my covered porch. This is not regular primer. This is called something like Rust Stop.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  3:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Kriste the idea about sand blasting is best but sometimes difficult finding some one to do it if not I sometimes use the wet dry cloth backed sand paper.I then use metal primer and finish with automotive paint

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  9:26:07 PM  Show Profile
Kriste, I have a bad just like yours. Mine was not rusty when I got it but it needed to have a lot of old paint taken off. We had a friend that had a body shop and he sandblasted it for me then painted it with car paint. It did a very good job and looks very nice now.You will need to put some stops on the side rails. That is some metal welded on so the box springs will stay in place.

Hope this helps.

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  9:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Sand blasting is the way to go. I had an old iron bed that was in a backyard for years, the bed was over 100 years old. I had it sand blasted and primed at a body shop and then spray painted it myself with Rustoleum. It worked out great. Good Luck, it's beautiful!

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  06:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Maybe I will have to see if anyone knows someone who could do that. I would hate to go to all the trouble to refinish it just to have the rust take over again! And I don't think my daughter would be impressed since it is for her room. (She already wasn't too impressed when she saw it and I told her it was for her!)

Thanks of all the help!

~Kristi
Farmgirl #474

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  07:04:38 AM  Show Profile
It's beautiful Kristi! Great find :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you!

~Kristi
Farmgirl #474

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need ideas how to refinish.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page