True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  07:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
Is there someone that knows how to treat black spots on my rose bushes? They were so beautiful, and now they are going downhill fast.
Please help me if you can.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  07:43:32 AM  Show Profile
I've been battling the same thing on a couple of mine. I've been taking off the affected leaves, cleaning up around the bush so the fungus doesn't splash up while it's raining or I'm watering to infect more leaves, I've been alternating between spraying with baking soda water and a milk spray. We've been getting so much rain down here (I'm happy for it, for sure) that I haven't been able to really put the sprays on but the roses are looking better. As with anything though, spray any new product or home made solution with caution and care. Try not to do it on super hot sunny days as the sun can burn the leaves or stress the plant. I've been looking online for other cures as well and saw this site

http://www.sustainable-gardening.com/roses/comingup.html

I've not heard of the mouthwash spray and am curious to see if it works or not.

This site http://www.soilmender.com/resources/recipes.php

explains how to make the baking soda spray. I'm also interested in the compost tea. I have a batch brewing in a bucket outside. I stir it with a stick a few times a day, I can't afford all the fancy bubblers and aerators some sites say to do. I'll strain it with an old pillowcase. Next time though, I plan on putting the compost and manure inside the pillowcase and sort of tea bag it, less messy I think. So, my next plan of action is to continue cleaning up the infected leaves from the plant and give it a mist of the compost tea. If all else fails I will try the mouthwash on one bush but I like the idea of the tea a bit better as it fertilizes too. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Black spot on roses. Roses need lots of ventilation so they shouldn't be too crowded and pushed up against a house or such. Abigail has the right idea about picking off the offending leaves and keeping the area arond the base of the roses clean. Those fungue spores just spread. Also you need some drier weather---tell the rain to STOP! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Abigail, We have had a ton of rain everyday since Saturday. I will try some of the things you mentioned when there is a day without rain! I thought someone somewhere on here had a recipe that you use the Fels Naptha soap? Have you heard of that?

Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  11:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Gena- I hadn't heard of the Fels Naptha soap recipe but decided to take a look online to see if I could find one. I saw this link
http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=D1001&Show=ExtInfo
It has the black spot remedy and an assortment of others as well. Let me know what works for you.
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  11:28:04 AM  Show Profile
Also- I've just read the book "Nelson's Guide to Florida Roses" In it, the author recommended using the time release fertilizers to cut back on the risk of over fertilizing. I use well rotted cow manure, compost (eggshells, tea bags, coffee grounds ect)and was using water soluble fertilizer that was given to me. He stated in the book that sometimes when roses are over fertilized they can become shocky and more succeptable to the black spot. Just another thing to consider. Mine are in pots, according to size and I'm thinking of planting them in a raised bed made out of used tires to give them some more leg room. I just can't put them all into the ground because I'm still hanging on to the dream of our own land one day. The containers also help me when one of my plants may need to be moved to a "time out" or something...lol.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  03:11:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link. As soon as I saw the link, I remembered that is where I had read that! I will try their method. I love roses, and the only problem I ever have, is the "blackspot".
You keep those roses where you can dig them right up! I feel that you will be able to move them to a more permanent home soon!!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Black Spots on Roses-Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page