lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  11:15:00 AM  Show Profile
Who has experience growing them? I bought two plants this year and was so excited! I can never find anyone around here that sells tomatillo seedlings, but at the Bloomington Farmers Market I found a vendor with the purple ones. So, I planted them out last week, then left for a long weekend in Iowa only to come back and find one seedling cut down, probably those dastardly cutworms...so, my question is this, will I still get a crop? I have read in several places that tomatillos are not self-fertile, so you must have two. But, I have also read elsewhere that this isn't true. Anyone know for sure? It seems like I should be okay with just one, but I was just wondering.

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  07:02:13 AM  Show Profile
I just want to know, what the heck tomatillos are?

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  07:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gena!

They are used in making salsa verde and other dishes, mostly Latin food. They look like small green tomatoes but they have a papery husk around them. They are a type of ground cherry and are related to tomatoes. They are also apparently something not many Farmgirls have in their gardens!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  08:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Toni- I don't know if you need more than one, because I always plant 3 or 4 and they go crazy. It really doesn't take much time to start them from seed if you are unable to get another plant. I would reccomend a second plant. Actually I understand that they are a member of the gooseberry family and not of the nightshade family.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  11:12:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Toni, I have never heard of them. I don't think anyone in this area grows them. I will be on the lookout for them. I am going to plant a couple if I see some.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  7:08:27 PM  Show Profile
I have several that I started from seed, just waiting to go into the garden. They're a first for me this year, also.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  7:45:11 PM  Show Profile
I hope you haven't pulled the one that was cut off. Sometimes they come back, especially if there is a bit of stem left.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  11:30:04 PM  Show Profile
I really hope to grow some of these soon.
I have over 30 varieties of heirloom tomto seed saved and need to get some tomatillo too as tomatillo salsa is so yummy.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  06:11:29 AM  Show Profile
I have grown tomatillos for years. I even bought a tomatillo recipe book. However, I have had so much trouble getting the fruit to get large, that I don't grow them any more. The plants are huge and have tons of blooms but the fruit is tiny or full of bugs. I only use them in salsa and it takes a dozen for the batch so I buy them at the store. They are available year around here in S. E. KS.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic About tomatillos... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page