lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  11:06:28 AM  Show Profile
Anyone planting sweet potatoes this year? I have seen some really interesting varieties that I would love to try. What kinds are you planting?

I ordered some slips of Centennials that arrived yesterday looking a little tough, but I got them planted yesterday evening and irrigated a little so hopefully they will make it. Then today I picked up a half-dozen Beauregards that look great, so maybe I will get a crop even if the first ones fail.

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile
I also planted Beauregards. I planted them in old tires. When the start spilling over the tire I then add another tire. It takes up less room in my small garden.

Tina
Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  1:13:09 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea. I'd like to plant them because we sure eat a lot of them, but I don't have the space...nor do I have old tires? How many tires do you end up using, Tina?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  4:31:30 PM  Show Profile
I end up using 4 per plant. I had realy nice sweet potatos last year.
Jonni= your little one is so cute. I have a grandson I would like her to meet. lol

Tina
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  12:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Toni, I have never planted them but have always wanted to. It reminds me of an old neighbor lady. She planted them every year. She could hardly see or even walk. She'd go out with her cane and hoe and plant her few slips and she had lots of good sweet potatoes. I always remember her doing that. Later she used a walker and she'd go out to her small plot with her hoe and weed. She always had a nice garden.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  8:43:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, Tina! I drove by a sale today at an outdoor market and they had tires for sale...but I didn't stop because I hadn't checked to see if you'd answered. I will go back tomorrow! We eat so darn many sweet potatoes, it only makes sense to grow them.

Thank you so much, too, for the lovely compliment about Violet. Based on her momma's likes, any kin to a farmgirl would be a wonderful friend to know! If we lived closer, we could set up a "play date" :)

Kris, what a nice story of your neighbor. I like that she cared so much for her sweet potatoes that even with little sight, she got out there and dug her little piece of the earth.

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on May 23 2009 8:44:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  04:14:29 AM  Show Profile
Kris~I was just sure that you would be on here with a wealth of knowledge on sweet potatoes! Seems like Georgia would be a great place to grow them. Maybe next year!

I got all of mine planted and last night they still looked good, so I hope I get a good crop. I was reading that some of their roots will go down at least 6 feet and that you have to dig pretty deep to get all the sweet potatoes out. I just assumed last year that they were close to the surface like white potatoes and other root crops, so I probably left quite a few in the ground.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  05:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, Toni. I really do need to grow some just to try it. But my soil has so much clay I would think they'd need more sandy soil. So maybe I could do the tires. Or some more raised beds. I do hope ya'll have good luck and let me know how they do. I love sweet potatoes and they are so good for us. So like Jonni, it does make sense to just grow our own.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  03:18:03 AM  Show Profile
I am really bad! I love sweet potatoes, but my father-in-law grows sooo many, I just get them from him! Do you ever slice them like regular potatoes and then fry like french fries? When you take them out of the oil when they are finished cooking, you sprinkle powdered sugar on them while they are hot. It may not sound good, but you gotta try it!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  03:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Kris~ I didn't think about you having that Georgia red clay. It probably would be hard to grow them on that! We have very sandy soil here so I hope they do well this year. We have to water alot with all the sand, but I love it after helping my mom for years in her Tennessee clay!

Gena~ Actually, I think your sweet potatoes sound awesome! We will have to try that this year! I love sweet potato chips, but I am not very good at frying things,so I usually only eat them when we are out. Does your father-in-law have any tricks for growing them?
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to grow them this year but couldn't find organic slips (actually,I ordered some but they never sent them). NC is one of the best places to grow sweet potatoes!
If you need tires, go to any tire store or local mechanic. They have to pay to dispose of them so they should be happy to give them to you.
I also read where you could grow them in the huge black contractor plastic trash bags. Roll them down to about 8 inches (poke drainage holes in the sides). As they grow, you unroll the bag and keep adding compost/soil/grass clippings.
I love sweet potato fries but I like mine with salt & pepper. Sometimes I drizzle them with a bit of melted butter. You can "oven fry" them - toss them in olive oil and bake them in a hot oven.
My daughter has an amazing Pakistani Sweet Potato recipe. If anyone is interested, I'll post it.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  12:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I am, Pam! That sounds really good!

I also fry chunked sweet potatoes in Olive Oil with cajun spices. REALLY yummy. Ever had parsnip fries? Those are wonderful, too!!!

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  08:32:07 AM  Show Profile
Sweet potatos were a last minute "whim" to add to the garden. This is our first year with growing them, ought to be interesting. We are growing the white yam variety. DH tilled a new plot of ground for me to plant them, a spot where the vine can sprawl across the ground and not cause a problem. I am really excited to see how they grow.

Lililan
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  1:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Toni, I don't think there are any tricks in growing them around here. Like Pam said, NC is known for their sweet potatoes. The soil around our house and my FIL's is actually pretty poor, as far as soils are rated.
I would try them and see. Hope it works!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  1:54:17 PM  Show Profile
Okay, fair warning, this is how my daughter and I write out recipes. Let me know if you have questions.
Boil the sweet potatoes (she says the purple ones are best) and remove the skins, cut into sm/med cubes
Soak 1/2 +- chopped red onion in salt for a few minutes and rinse
Soak some Tamarind (package at Indian shop) in hot water to remove the pulp, take out seed and make a syrup (she said she means the liquid after the pulp and seeds are gone)
Add them together...add to taste cayenne, salt and garam masala (1/2tsp) (Shan/Laziza brand)....add some chopped tomato too....Oh, you should also add some black eyed peas or canellini beans. Cool it in the fridge. It's really good

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  2:48:44 PM  Show Profile
We have just added our 3rd tire to our sweet potatoes. they are growing good and looking healthy!! Can't wait!!!

Tina
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  07:08:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Pam! Printed it out just now...will probably make it next week after I head to Findlay Market (a wonderful open air European style market in downtown cincy--been around since 1820), and they have small ethnic vendors around the perimeter and that's where I get most of my Indian spices etc..

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  4:42:55 PM  Show Profile
To whom might be interested, I grow all of my potatos in old washmachine tubs, when someones washer dies, I pick it up and pull the tub out, I use straight compost in it, one plant per tub, I've done it for years, and I've never had a failed plant. this also keeps burrowing rodents at bay, can't dig thru metal. And you are recycling also.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  07:03:28 AM  Show Profile
Teresa! What a wonderful idea! I could use those for any potato plant. Wait until I tell my husband...

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile
I grew some last year - our growing season is really a little short for sweet potatoes but I thought I'd give them a try. I got a couple of little ones to harvest. I thought I'd try them again this year. No one around here sells them because of their long growing season, so i have to order them from the east. When mine arrived this year, only two plants out of a dozen were alive. So, I planted them in my cold frame to see if I could extend the growing season. We'll see how it works out.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Who plants sweet potatoes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page