lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  05:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Thought I would share Denali's story since it may be helpful to someone else, although I must admit that it is a strange story and probably the chance of it ever happening to anyone else is extremely small! Our Romney ram lamb, Denali who is now three months old had an extremely infected penis. It was grossly swollen and his abdomen from the penis back to the testicle bag was swollen too. He was just dripping urine and blood. He had a fever of 105. Anyway he was so inflamed that the vet could not get his penis out of the sheath to examine it. So we sedated him and lo and behold he had a bunch of straw that somehow had gotten up inside him and irritated him and caused the infection. However after cleaning him out and putting him on antibiotics he is back to normal. But who would have thought that this could happen?!!!I have heard of pizzle rot, but this is not that condition - this is caused by a foreign body get lodged up there. Anyway this may be helpful to someone and I hope it was not too graphic to post on this forum. Warmly, Sara

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  05:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Sara,

Thanks so much for sharing - in all the years of raising sheep and other animals this was a new one for me. I thank you for sharing because it adds to our knowledge banks and so if we ever have a problem like this we will know where to look and what to do.

I hope your sweet one is on the mend and give him tons of hugs for me for a speedy recovery. He is lucky to have you watching over him.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  06:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh poor little guy. I am glad he is doing much better. That is a new one on me. Thank you for sharing. I can be on the look out for that.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  7:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Well sadly to say Denali worsened again, fever 105 and bleeding when urinating and we did another round of penicillin and tomorrow switching over to LA 200 and the vet will clip the necrotic tissue from his penis on Monday. Meanwhile he stepped on something and has a sore foot! Luckily he is halter broken and does not mind riding in the back of the pickup to the vet's! He is still eating well and at 3 months is up to 103 pounds too! So we are still working hard to clear up this infection. Kept us in your thoughts and prayers. Sara
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  8:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sara! I hope everything works out for a quick recovery for Denali. Our first Romney lambs are about the same age and we are just starting out but so far love our Romneys! I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Since we haven't been around sheep before, we have been trying to educate ourselves as much as possible. Learning from others really seems a great way to learn. Thank you for your time and praying for a quick and complete recovery.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  10:00:06 PM  Show Profile
Sara I sure will place your little one and yourself in my prayers. It is so very hard to have a sick furry four legged family member - I have been there many times and your heart just breaks but you are doing everything right and just know the best thing you can give him is LOVE - Best to you and yours. Please keep us informed.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  10:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would assume that he is releasing his penis to pee and not retracting it before laying down- then things can get stuck to it and if he has any sort of cuts or sores (maybe from the first time it happened) it would be a hot bed for bacteria and germs.

I haven't ever seen a penis sheath or penis get infected but at the horse ranch we do have to wash the boys before they do their stud service so they don't get all sorts of junk in the semen collection.

Hope Denali starts feeling better! What kind of enclosure is he kept in?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  7:24:19 PM  Show Profile
I really love Romney sheep too! Today I gave him his LA 200 and his temp remains high. I also soaked his foot in zinc sulfate, painted the wound with copper tox and then sprayed on a powdered aluminum that forms a waterproof bandage. I then wrapped the hoof in vet wrap and of course this afternoon the bandage was missing and he is still very painful. I do have a plastic boot somewhere in the house that I am going to find and try, but past experience has shown me that it actually makes things worse not better. Unfortunately we have had the rainiest spring on record and the pastures are a mess of tall, wet grass and mud. We have been cleaning the barn out weekly and putting down fresh dry straw, but with all the heavy rain the sheep are reluctant to leave the barn and it gets dirty quickly. Our farm borders a stream which regularly overflows its banks too - did I say we are a designated wetlands?!!! Not optimum with a sore foot. Puncture wounds on the sole of the foot are terrible to try to heal but I am more concerned with his bleeding from the penis and high fever. Tomorrow is the vet trip...Thanks for all your support. Sara
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:43:20 AM  Show Profile
I am keeping ya'll in my prayers and hope he has a fast recovery. Poor little guy. Please keep us updated. HUGS

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I feel ready for a good cry...Denali's temp is still at 105 and the vet extruded his penis and it is literally rotting away. He wants me to continue the injectable LA 200 as well as extrude his penis daily and scrub with a saline solution and cut away the necrotic tissue and then put antibiotic ointment on it. But it does not seem to be responding to treatment and his temp is not going down. Meanwhile his foot is not healing either. I am scubbing the foot and trimming away the abcessed part and packing it with tetracycline powder and then spaying it with aluminum powder as a waterproof barrier and then wrapping it in vet wrap. But it bleeds continously and is not healing. When do I throw in the towel??? What is the next step? At this point they think at the very least he may become sterile. At the most...Sara
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  2:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I just tuned in on your post about Denali. How's he doing now? It just doesn't sound good and I have to wonder why he's not responding to antibiotic treatment. The wet conditions don't help I'm sure. Poor guy. Thanks for sharing the story. I've never heard of anything like that either.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  1:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Denali still is not responding. Temp 105.5 today. The vet is going to do a nerve block to the foot and cut away the infected tissue. I am concerned about this. Has anyone ever had that done? He said he will look again at the penis but he says it is so necrotic that he feels we need serious intervention to save him at this point ie. major surgery at a large animal hospital.....What to do???He is absolutely gorgeous and is still walking around and eating. Sara
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  10:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara - I am so so so sorry, my heart goes out to you and your sweet one.. It is hard to tell another what to do - I would say listen carefully to all the advise from the vet and I might even get a second voice because your right if he has not lowered his temp all this time I would be concerned that the issues are great then what is just being presented. I must say I have never heard of the penis issue - and I have never had a foot issue here at the farm but is sounds like his body just can not fight so many fronts. I wish I could offer more advise - just know I will keep you all in my prayers and how for sometype of outcome that will be painless and productive. These are the times that really tests us - I know you are your little one will do what is best. I have faith in you.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  7:20:36 PM  Show Profile
I took Denali to the vet and he did the nerve block to the foot and cut out the infected tissue. He photographed it and sent a picture to the vets at Univ. of PA and they said to look for a foreign object, but there was no foreign object. There was a strange growth that he dug out though and he sent it to a pathologist. Then we packed the hole with antibiotic powder and rebandaged it. Well the next morning a miracle! I removed the bandage and for the first time in weeks the foot was no longer bleeding, the hole had shrunk and there was new tissue growing! So that worked. However the penis is still necrotic, we are still giving to different injectable antibiotics and still washing it daily to remove the necrotic tissue and putting ointment on it. So he is not out of the woods yet and we are still unsure of how far to take this. He Is penned in a dry pen in the barn and his mom threw a fit so we put her in with him.Even though he is old enough to not need mommy, I felt that while he is sick it would be stressful to separate them. Sara
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  7:57:44 PM  Show Profile
I am following this thread closely and hope this little guy pulls through. Is he still suckling from his mother? That should give his immune system a boost.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  11:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Denali has been seen to still sneak under and nurse from his mom, but only for about 30 seconds. He is 3 1/2 months now and up to 110 pounds! But his mom is extremely attached to him and very overprotective and I guess he likes the comfort of curling up to sleep next to her when he is so sick. When my daughter comes home next week with the digital camera I will have her post a picture of Denali. Sara
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  6:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like the medicine Denali needs is that which only a mother can give - comfort. It is a stressful time for all and there is nothing wrong with the closeness he receives from his four legged mother. His two legged mother is also doing an excellent job in caring for this little one - and all us two legged mothers will keep him in our prayers.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  08:54:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you put his mother in with him, Sara. Even that little bit of nursing he's doing will help him keep things as normal as possible while he mends.

Hope he really is on the mend. Glad the foot is looking better. You're a good shepherdess.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  06:10:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. On Friday Denali was still no better after 4 weeks of antibiotics IM as well as ointment in the penis. Still running a fever so I knew that I was not able to do anymore and our vet said that he was at the end of his ability to help. So I threw in the towel and took him to Univ. of PA and I told them that I did not want heroic measures if he was not going to be able to make it anyway. So they took a blood test to determine how he was doing ie. if he had a blockage that would preclude further treatment. Anyway they were surprised that the blood results showed no blockage and only that he had infection and inflammation. So they sedated him and took his penis out and saw how necrotic it was, but he had ruptured his urethra further up creating his own new hole. That is why the urine was dribbling out. However they were concerned that the new hole would eventually close up and then he would be blocked. They decided to put him on IV antibiotics - Naxcel, K Pen and also banamine and see how he did over the weekend. They told me he was on 24 hour urine watch and if he stopped urinating they would consider it an emergency and euthanize him. Well the little guy made it through the weekend so they are surprised at what a fighter he is and they are reevaluating the penis today. He still had fever yesterday so they asked my permission to shear off his beautiful fleece. At four months he all ready had a dark brown fleece of a 4 inch staple length! So his prognosis is extremely guarded and they do not yet know what they are going to be able to do over the long run. They are adamant that he should have no grain ever again. But over the 16 years of raising sheep I have always grained my lambs and never had a penis problem like this so I am skeptical that it was because he ate grain. I always give them the lamb creep feed 20% protein with Bovatec to prevent coccidia until they are 3 months old then I turn them over to a whole grain sweet feed of 14% protein while they are growing. Everyone I know around here feeds their lambs the same so I still do not understand what happened to Denali. Any thoughts on this. Thanks, Sara
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  5:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Wow! You will not believe it but Denali is coming home on Friday! Univ. of PA cannot believe it either. The rupture in his urethra closed up, the necrotic last 1 1/2 inches of his penis healed and he is peeing normally through the opening in his tip! It is really a miracle. After 5 long weeks we will be bringing home a normal ram after we really thought he would need to be euthanized. It must be all the prayers and good wishes and kindness of everyone that turned the tide for him. Thanks for being there for him, for me, for us. Warmly, Sara
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  6:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow Sara,

What a bedtime story! I am kinda new here and just popped in on this post and read it through. Happy thoughts for you and Deanli.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  6:50:39 PM  Show Profile
We picked up Denali on Friday and he was so happy to see us, but when they asked permission to shear him I did not know he would end up with a poodle cut! you cannot imagine how funny he looks, but it is kind of darling too. Anyway we put him in the bed of the pickup with a pen around him and a tarp over the pen so he would stay put, but he cried his head off and managed to get his halter untied, his head poked out the tarp and his front hooves on the top of the pen. So I had to pull over on the highway and my daughter climb in the pen with him and he promptly took all 120 pounds of himself and curled up on her lap and went to sleep! The ride back to the farm was uneventful after that. They said he cried all the time at the hospital unless someone sat in the stall with him too. They could not believe he is such a friendly little guy. We are so pleased that he pulled through. Sara
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara,
I just read through for the first time, and I have to admit, I was nervous about going to this last page...I was dreading bad news. What a WONDERFUL surprise!!! I love happy endings. He is a lucky guy and I know he will have a LOT of love. Thanks for sharing this story!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  8:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I am so glad your lamb is home and doing well, at first when I read this, I didn't think he would be able to make it...sounds like he is a wonderful baby that has wonderful people to live with and care for him.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  01:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Ohhhh I don't know how I missed this post before but what a story! Wow how lucky Denali is that he had you folks to take care of him! Sounds like he is a very special little guy and I hope he has many many more years of joy with all of you.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  05:58:54 AM  Show Profile
You have made my week Sara - I know the prayers and love has carried him thru and I wish for him and you years of wonderful companionship. I will keep both of you in my prayers and I thank you for sharing his story. I have not heard of this with all the sheep I have raised and been around - we are always learning but in life there are things that never can be explained.

Hugs and kisses to the little one.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic sick lamb Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page