brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  7:17:19 PM  Show Profile
A while back someone posted a question - farmgirls seems so concerned about buying local when it comes to food, but don't seem to have any problem buying foreign autos, and wondered why?

I can't remember what forum that was in... Looked but can't find it.

I came across this chart today in the GM viability plan - they are trying to explain to the Feds why it is important to save GM and why American economy depends on GM as a going concern.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on May 27 2009 6:01:26 PM

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  06:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Yea.

That may have been me.

I'll forever be a Toyota truck owner simply b/c 1. my truck has been paid off for 10 years now 2. it is running like a dream 3.b/c it's still running very well, you just can't beat foreign quality

We had a family friend who bought a Chrysler mini van some years ago. Back in the late 80s-90's those had Mitsubishi engines. This friend ended up putting 600,000 on this vehicle with just 1 engine rebuild. In the end, he got into a wreck and had the van toatled.

So when the time comes for my Toy to take the happy trip, I may invest in an engine rebuild too.

Something to note though. These days A LOT of the so called foreign cars ARE being built in the U S .

The better thing to do may be to keep the running vehicles we have and not go into major debt.

Also, I'm still kind of wary about the hybrid batteries being replaced. Something to the tune of 8,000???

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  10:15:15 AM  Show Profile
The chart I tried to post shows a comparison of the amount of "domestic content" by manufacturer. (I think you can see the chart if you click on it, I can, anyway.., or you can see the chart posted on my blog, or in the GM viability plan online..)

When you hear that the foreign cars are being built in the US, sometimes all that means is they are assembled here from foreign components - in other words, the foreign manufacturer puts an assembly plant here for marketing reasons..but most of the manufacturing work is in another country and all of the profits go back to invest in their own country.

I guess it must work, because I see a lot more foreign cars on the road today than I do from the "big three".

I'm not a member of a union, but I do think it is important to buy local wherever we can and support local economies. I think it is just as important for cars as for major appliances or clothes or groceries.

Well this is about to turn into a rant so I'd better sign off and go work in my garden some more!!!!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  11:57:09 AM  Show Profile
No rant

I'm just happy to have a vehicle that runs and is paid off.

But you are correct. Case in point is the Mitsubishi engine in an American vehicle

For products that are sold back to other countries and then again to us, this also goes for ingredients in the lesser pet foods, our own recycled paper and a bunch of other things.

It's really sad the state of afairs we are in right now. How about the huge debt we owe to China. very scary as they pretty much have us over a barrel
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  9:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda. It was me who first posted the the question. The point you made is what I was trying to explain. I don't think people realize just how many jobs in so many fields depend on the American Auto industry doing well. The ripple effect in the economy from lost jobs here due to these low sales is staggering. Machine shops suffer because so much of their work is auto related. The auto workers themselves of course. The tire people, the parts stores, the glass makers, upholstery,steel, so many I could go on and on. Our own industry has sold out their workers too because of so many parts made overseas,because they are cheap. Sure they are cheap some of the employees of these foreign companies make literally pennies a day. No overhead for any employee benefits of any kind. It is not only the auto industry, think back, what happened to American made TV's radios,
shoes, clothes,etc. etc. ever try to find anything made in America? Good luck. Not even mushrooms for petes sake are grown and canned here anymore. Food is grown elsewhere and imported here instead of having Americans have jobs to do this at home. It scares the living daylights out of me. Most banks are not American owned,ever see how many large office buildings are foriegn owned. NYC is full of them. Now all this is catching up, everday Americans are now paying the price with less and less jobs available. I am not one to jump on a soap box, I believe in live and let live, always have and always will. I impose none of my own opinions to try and change other peoples minds. That is senseless and a waste of time and energy. I try only to point out in this post just how much of our own precious American made
products are dwindling to nothing. We were a very self sustaining independent country and so proud of it. That part of our past I do truly miss.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  04:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Thats a tough one. Unfortunately, America has dropped the ball when it comes to quality, so people have gone to foreign cars for the quality. When you are spending that much money on something, you want to make sure you're getting the best. We have always driven Ford's in the past, and after a terrible experience, we ourselves have started buying foreign and have been very happy.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  09:25:45 AM  Show Profile
The sad state of affairs our country is in is pathetic.

These days when something does say made in America, it's refreshing. I'm still skeptical though and wonder just what part is still foreign.

Guess this is why I dropped Sam's Club and picked up Costco.

I don't even know their history completely.

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  3:51:42 PM  Show Profile
Here in Michigan, Land of the Big Three, it is getting nasty!!! and I hope it doesn't spill over to the MJ forum
I drive a Honda Fit (after years of nothing but American cars) because it was affordable and get 34 mpg. so I feel that I am doing my small part to not support the oil cartels. When I was looking I considered and Honda CRV and a friend was angry that I didn't consider the Ford Edge. However, when I pointed out that it has a Honda engine, that discussion ended.

My point here is that we should be free to choose whatever we want to drive without the fallout here.
I have been run off the road by and F150 who shouted Buy American out his window; have been given the finger by a Dodge charger
who was burning gas and oil at a rapid rate.
My sister has been threated and harrassed in parking lots to where she had to call 911 to report the harrassment
I'm tired of it and wish we would return to the civility of an earlier age
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  3:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Michele! That is so scary! I hope you are alright!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow

And I thought they only did that to we bicyclists.

And here's a funny that still kind of burns me up a little.

10 years ago I was searching around looking for a new 12 speed road bike. My heart was set on an Italian bike but a frined talked me out if it and onto a Trek. Same reasoning....buy American....and Lance Armstrong bla bla bla.

Come to find out the !@#$ frame is made in China and Lance Armstrong is the biggest !@# for leaving his wife and kids.

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  7:44:30 PM  Show Profile
See that was just my point, no matter what you buy it has foriegn
components. That was what I was trying to get across. It is scary that nothing is totally made in America anymore. I am not telling anyone what to buy or what to think. I thought I made that pretty clear, but I knew someone would still be offended and that was not my intention. I think it probably is better on this forum not to try and comment on anything that may be the slightest bit able to cause any friction at all. The moderators have got that right. So from now on I will not make any comments about anything that might ruffle anyone's feathers.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  07:43:49 AM  Show Profile
My dad, Uncle John, Aunt Sue, Uncle Mike, and Uncle Dave work at General Motors, and Grandma's pension is a G.M. pension. That's 5 spouses and 12 kids who are dependent on auto industry jobs...in my family alone. Multiply that by the other 4 million families in Michigan. Whatever rationale you use, the bottom line is buying foreign cars puts American jobs at risk.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  09:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Point well taken. And I see.

I just have never had good success with Fords and know a handful of folks who also have had difficulties. Like engines that blow up, bad paint jobs and a few other things that had to be recalled. I would rather trust a Chevy any day.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps we can put a more positive spin on this.

Other than cars, see if we can think of other companies we KNOW are U S through and through to further help us make better spending decisions.

The dog foods I purchase are completely U S made. You can call the 1-800 number listed and actually speak to a human.

Such examples are: Solid Gold, Merrick, Cloud Star (started by 1 lady in her own home) and many others

I also purchase dog toys from Planet Dog. The company is based in Vermont. These folks make dog toys out of all natural rubber and will accept these toys back to be recycled. A portion of sales also go for support for companion animal training for the disabled.

And for clothing...I actually have a few linen pieces that are ....surprize, surprize, made in the US!

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  6:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks on the tips for the dog food and toys, and where oh where did you find the US made linens? What a great idea, lets' see what the othewr farmgirls buy that is still made in the US. We look and look it is an obsession with my husband, I wish I could come up with more things made here to add to the list.

Jessie Mae I hear you honey, believe me. 3 generationd here worked there too.

MJ

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  03:24:16 AM  Show Profile
The clothes were purchased in a department store. Around here we have Belk's, and of course JC Penny .

Sadly, all my t-shirts are made in china (gasp!) bangladesh, some places in south america and a bunch of other foreigh countries in the far east.

I also have a few t-shirts and 1 pr. of jeans that are made of hemp. These are also
U S made, tho I'm sure the fiber was grown in Canada.

OH! And lets not forget cookware. I think Allclad (very expensive BTW) is a US company as is Kitchenaid?
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  5:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, when we buy appliances we look for American-made or American companies. We recently bought Whirlpool washer and dryer, only to find out made in Germany, but at least the PROFIT comes to an American company. We got a Whirlpool range recently too, it is made in good old USA.

We knew there aren't any TVs made in the US any more, so bought a Zenith HD TV, but then found out it was a Lucky Goldstar (Made in China) it blew up two months after the warranty expired. Luckily we were able to get some extended warranty coverage from the company because it is a COMMON problem, but we had to fight for it.

It is VERY HARD to find clothing made in US, I found Union Jeans Company but they don't have my size.

I also try not to shop at Wal-Mart or Sam's club. We shop at Meijer because it is based in Grand Rapids, and my husband is from Muskegon, or at Kroger's because it's hq'd in Columbus.

We buy Cole's garlic bread because it's a Muskegon company.

Thirty-five years ago I studied in Spain for a year. When I returned I wanted to buy a Renault LeCar because I had a friend in Spain with a Renault Cinco (same car, different name) and it was so, well, European.. and stylish. I have to say that the quality and safety did not come ANYWHERE near an American car at the time. I actually rear-ended a Buick and caused $1500 damage to the front end of my $3500 car -- and the Buick had a small 1/2 inch long black mark on the bumper. It was great on gas mileage, but really small, and probably not really a totally safe car. When I started working at GM I was asked very politely to trade in my foreign car for a GM product, which I was happy to do.

Maybe 20 years ago GM had a perceived issue with quality because of a styling decision to make similar cars across all product lines to save money on design. In recent years they have really closed any quality gap, real or perceived, and the warranty is not only as long as any one else's in the business, but it is also transferrable. That is not always true of other manufacturer's warranties.

Maybe I sound like a cheerleader for GM, but it is so true that our economy is crashing around us, it started with the mortgage companies' problems, when people started hearing about a possible recession, they stopped spending money on big-ticket items like cars or major appliances. So much of our industry here in the Midwest is dependent on auto manufacturing. There is certainly a ripple effect on the whole economy and in our small town we are to the point where the city employees (policemen, firemen) have taken a 20% pay cut and only work 4 days a week to keep from having to lay people off.

From a macro economics perspective, the US has mortgaged our economy to China - because they do all our manufacturing now - we owe them so much money it is unthinkable, and we and our children and probably grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be paying off that debt.

OK, this IS getting to be a rant....I am sorry it is a very personal subject for me as we wait to hear what is going to happen and which plants will be closing.

Edited by - brightmeadow on May 27 2009 6:00:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  03:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I work for the state

I can't even beginto tell you how much wastage has gone on for years!

And now they threaten to take away our meager bonus we received last year...a whopping 1/2 percent. They shouldn't have bothered. They also gave us 10 hours comp time to be used before December. It's still paid time off, so I fail to see any saving here.

We are grouped with the teachers, so there is also threat of cutting out 20 hours. Not sure how that will work for them or those of us who feed the animals at the zoo.

And if you notice, NONE of the big-wigs have stepped forward to donate a portion of their big bucks to assist or take a pay cut!

VERY hypocritical!

And as a final rant of my own I too am put out by Wal Mart. If anyone even remotely knows how badly China has us over a barrel, how can anyone even think of buying something that has the made in China label. It's very tough to avoid. And when I'm in Raleigh visiting parents, we stop at Kroger and load up. Being's we are from Cincinnati, it's nice to support the local boys and see something famillar.

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  08:52:01 AM  Show Profile
We, too, try to avoid Walmart at all costs. I know there prices are great but the China thing and the inferiority of products from there drive me nuts.
I try to shop on Etsy whenever possible because these items are handcrafted and you can find out where the artists are located. Also, feel that I am supporting a lot of cottage and Woman owned businesses.

Lodge cast iron cookware is U.S. made.

A while back, Meijer stores posted a list of all grocery products that are made in Michigan, Your state may have something similar. Then, not only are you supporting a local chain but the producers as well.

Jiffy Mix is one of them
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  11:43:28 AM  Show Profile
In praise of Meijer's...I don't know if all Meijers' do this, but the one in DeWitt puts "local," "Michigan," and "USA" on the signs for applicable produce.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic buy local - autos! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page