Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Have a quilt idea -- anyone interested?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Have a quilt idea -- anyone interested? Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  09:19:36 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I thought of putting together a farmgirls quilt. I haven't thought through all the details yet, but basically what I would do is keep a list of everyone who is participating. Every person would make enough squares for everyone else to have one and ship me all their squares. I'd repackage the squares so that everyone only had to send to me, and I'd do the sending back out to everyone with one of each of the squares. Clear as mud, right?

I would have the squares be all the same size, of course, but would you prefer that there be any other "guidelines"? If you're interested in participating, what would you prefer.

For example, I've been in quilt square swaps before and sometimes it's been where the squares had to have a muslin background and then you could do whatever you want. Another swap was that each square had to have at least some red in each square. I've been in a swap where you could pick your solid fabric, but then you embroidered your favorite Bible passage. That sort of thing.

I would want to required that you somehow "sign" your square. I'd probably embroider my name and username in the corner of my square (allowing, of course, for the seam allowance).

Anyway, if you'd be interested, please either respond here or email me (happymama58@yahoo.com) and let me know any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  09:29:58 AM  Show Profile
chile' .. i don't have the patience to sit and sew more'n ONE quilt square .. so i'll probably have to sit this one out .. but i know i'm going to turn GREEN with ENVY when i see the finished quilts! great idea .. i'm sure there are lots of great quilters here. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  09:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Patti, There is already a quilt block swap underway, although I am afraid it has not been very successful. See the thread under stitching room -'Anyone interested in a quilt block swap'. Out of the eight people in my swap group, I have only received 2 blocks (and they are beautiful blocks by the way). I posted pictures of them in that thread. Maybe you can revive it.
P.S. I would love to swap a block with you personally - the ones we have been making are 12 1/2 inches so they finish to 12 inches in a quilt.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein

Edited by - quilt8305 on Feb 09 2006 09:28:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  09:23:19 AM  Show Profile
I've always thought it would be fun to have an autograph quilt. That might be an idea for blocks. There are a few books out there with autograph block patterns in them. It would be fun to have the names of other Farmgirls on it. If this is an option, count me in.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  10:12:59 AM  Show Profile
There is an article in the last Fons & Porter Love of Quilts about an autograph quilt. Goes into detail how to get all the blocks signed, etc. That would be fun!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  2:23:12 PM  Show Profile
I would love to do autograph block quilt. We could do a simple block like this one:
Simple signature block

Maybe a 6 or 8 inch block......

We could put our names & screen names. They could be written with a permanent quilt marker or embroidered.

Added thought, it would be neat for everyone to make a extra. We could then make a quilt for Mary Jane as a Thank You for this great place!! I will sew them together & make a tac quilt, if you wan't me to.. (I don't quilt, just tac quilt)

~~My Blog~~

Bridge's Bargains~Click to see

Edited by - Bridge on Feb 09 2006 2:29:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  4:25:29 PM  Show Profile
now THAT I may manage to get done! I am one of the slackers not caught up on quilt blocks yet..but I will!! And if you do this one I would be interested too.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  5:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Me too. I feel guilty for not getting the other blocks done, but the holidays and then all these readings put me behind. I WILL get them done. And this one won't take much. Count me in. What a treasure it would be. And wouldn't MJ be happy?

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  5:18:25 PM  Show Profile
One of the things that was recommended was to iron the block to freezer paper before having people sign them. Gives it some stability. Would we make one block for each person that wants to be a part of this and an extra for MJ?

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  6:33:50 PM  Show Profile
That is what I was thinking, we could make one for every person & Mary Jane. Then each person would end up with as many blocks as we have participants.

I"ve never written on a quilt before, but the freezer paper probably would be a good idea.

~~My Blog~~

Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  05:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I have one of these quilts that was my great-grandma's... they are GREAT! there's a post about it on my blog. I don't quilt, but I can attest to what a wonderful keepsake they are!

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  10:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh this would be so cool! Definitely count me in!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  09:21:55 AM  Show Profile
Lets for sure embroider the names though!! If anyone dosn't want to embroider I would be glad to do their names...I just think it would be nicer embroidered...don't ya think??

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  3:52:50 PM  Show Profile
agreed.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  08:15:31 AM  Show Profile
I agree too Jenny, I can help if you get many to embroider.

~~My Blog~~
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  09:41:20 AM  Show Profile
Bridge,
You are a girl I can relate to; I have shyed away from the quilt forums because I don't actually quilt either, but tie them. And I've never done anything more than patchwork or triangles, so I'm as novice as it gets when it comes to quilts, but I love them. And I love picking out coordinating fabrics even more. The block you showed as an example is simple enough that I think even I could do that one.

If there is still room to join the fun, can I be counted in, too?

Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  2:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I emailed Patti but haven't heard back from her.

We'll try to get this organized in the next few days!!

I was thinking that we should maybe make the signature square the same on all blocks maybe a ivory, muslin, or white..... What do you all think?

What size do you all prefer?

I can make a pattern in PDF.format and send it to each person via email once we know the size?

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  3:16:42 PM  Show Profile
I vote for a 12" block. I just think it is a good size. A pattern would be wonderful.
I would love Muslin for the sign. square...but any ivory color would be nice...all the same for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  5:13:12 PM  Show Profile
Count me in ladies, I love the idea. 6 - 8 inch blocks might work best. we could always take the five sample blocks that were on the website and each chose which you would like to do. It would make for some interesting quilts. just a thought.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Okay, ladies, I've read all these posts and think this is definitely something we can do. I'll start a new thread for sign-ups with a deadline, and we'll go from there.

I love the idea of an extra quilt for MaryJane. I'll get the thread started today.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Have a quilt idea -- anyone interested? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page