Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Spinners here? Next Topic  

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  1:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Who here spins?? Do you use a drop spindle or wheel? (or both?)

Do you buy prepared roving/top or start with raw fleece (or both?)

Are you self-taught? Found someone to teach you? Belong to a guild?

How long have you been spinning?

What do you do with your yarn?

I started spinning about 8 years ago using drop spindles. I was finally able to spin fairly consistent singlges but didn't enjoy having to stop and wind on all the time. My husband bought me an Ashford Traveler for a wedding present 4 years ago (what a guy!). I took to the wheel like duck to the water. I'm self taught and I'm convinced I have an untraditional style of spinning, but it produces yarn I'm pleased with.

I will trade for prepared roving, but mostly buy/trade for raw wool.

I'm tickled over a trade I made a couple weeks ago - some lotion making supplies and milk soap for a dyed silk hankie (the lady I traded with also threw in dyed kid mohair top and raw silk ... My head still spins when I look at these fibers!

I'm excited about my latest yarn. It's the first time I combined two different fibers. It is 70% grey shetland and 30% blue dyed kid mohair. There is about 100 yards finished and more to spin up.

The carded fiber is to the right in this picture. The yarn on the spindle is being plied:

This is a closer shot of the spindle:

This is the same grey shetland spun by iteself:

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  1:52:58 PM  Show Profile
I spin..self taught...I learned on a wheel..traded a rug I hooked for it (ashford traditional) about ..hmm 13 years ago..something like that..early '90's anyway. I spin my own fiber mostly..but love to trade. I have had up to 10 sheep at a time..only three right now..a moorit Icelandic Ewe, a black Icelandic ewe and a brown Navajo churro ram. I plan to get a white Iclandic ram in August..and then the other little guy will find a new home. I also have a little angora doe so I get my own mohair too (white) and only one angora bunny right now...he is a buff colored french angora..with a really not so hot coat..I used to have alot more of them, but they didn't make the cut when we moved here 3 and 1/2 years ago. If I find some good ones I would like to have at least two or three again..I really enjoy them.
I always have some extra raw wool if you ever want to trade..I know I have some moorit and some black right now, and part of a spotted fleece from an iclandic/jacob ewe that I sold in the spring. I sometimes buy prepared fiber just because it is so nice and irresistable. Just like I still buy yarn even though I certainly don't need it and should spin all my wool up!!
I don't belong to a guild...there isn't one near me..I live in a tiny town a long way from any big towns (an hour and 1/2 south of Provo)
I mostly knit with my yarn, but I do some weaving on a small navajo loom too..mostly knitting though.
Your yarn looks really pretty!! How fun to have another spinner here!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  9:34:53 PM  Show Profile
I am just learning but have dreamed of spinning for 30+ years. I have fallen in love with the Ashford Travller and hope one day to have my one. I am learning to spin on a wheel that a friend built himself for plans, just because. I also would like to go through the whole process of raw wool to finished project. I started with a drop spindle and like it. But I am enjopying the wheel very much. WOrking still on an even thread. Haven't been on it the past few days as I have been really sick. Finally better and look forward to spinning tomorrow.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  11:48:50 PM  Show Profile
WOW your yarn looks really nice and a pretty color too.
I just took 10 washed fleeces to be carded into roving over to a friends house on sunday. Im so lucky to have her fairly close so I dont have to mail them. She does comerical carding and picking.
There are jacob,CVM, romney,sheltland and a bunch of Mohair to be picked because I like to spin it with curls.
I ve been spinning since 1979(gheez that looks old)
We have sheep and llamas, just gave away 3 alpacas, si have those fleeces to wash also, plus about 15 more to wash and get carded, Im cleaning up this fleece fetish that I have and getting them under control, (sure I am) ROFL
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  2:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny,
I have a trade in the works for some Icelandic fleece (for Muscovy eggs … when they start laying). Never spun Churro, but boy would I love to! I had a pair of German angoras but found out quickly I was allergic to them. They were a beautiful champagne colored agouti. When I get finished with the grey Shetland/blue mohair, I’ll be working on a moorit Shetland fleece.

DH, Paul, is making me a picker and may be finished with it tonight!!! Yippeee!

Want to do a bit of trading??

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  2:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Julia,
Hope you’re feeling better today and are able to spin a bit.
The evenness will come … then you’ll WANT to spin a thick/thin novelty yarn and won’t be able to!!!

Cyndi

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Muscovy ducks!! I miss mine so much. I had to sell my 7 or8 when we moved here. I just loved them! They are such good layers and good mothers too. I had one that hatched and raised 17 babies one time!
Would love to do some trading..I am always up for trades. Don't have any more of Dooley's churro wool left until his spring shearing though.
Wow..your own picker..that is so neat!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  11:58:25 PM  Show Profile
I started spinning in 1972. I never learned on a Drop Spindle until about 3 years ago and I am not very good at it because I don't stay at it. I have 9 sheep, 8 ewes and a ram ( Romney )and babies due any day.
I have my wool processed into roving and sell roving and my yarn and also raw fleeces.
The only time I ever really relax is when I am spinning.
We have a large spinning group in our area. The Merry Spinsters meet in the day and the Mt. Rainier Spinners meet in the evening.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  05:25:10 AM  Show Profile
Robin,
Do you have a website?? "From sheep to handspun" ... I've seen this before!

Cyndi

Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  12:10:49 AM  Show Profile
No I don't yet but hope to have one soon.But it is my sinature line on my emails that is probably were you have seen it. When I write to the list, LOL

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  8:42:11 PM  Show Profile
How do you girls set the twist? I know I asked this on another thread, I don't think I am not doing something right. I looks like it has untwisted some. Help!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  9:42:10 PM  Show Profile
I rinse the wool after spinning and tying into a skein in lukewarm water (assuming you didn't spin it raw..in that case you wash it at this point)without aggitating or wringing the yarn AND then spin dry in the washing machine (with no added water..just spin cycle) and then hang to dry with a light weight on the end of skein...rotating the skein and moving the wieght every once in awhile until dry. If you DON"T set the twist it will sort of untwist some.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  7:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Aunt Jenny!

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  11:40:17 AM  Show Profile
After I spin and skein the yarn, I alway put it in hot soapy water for 10-20 minutes followed by a couple soaks in hot, finse water. (It always surprises me just how dirty my yarn gets - probably from the wood stove).

then I wring it out (okay, not really wringing - just squeezing) then put in inbetween a couple towels and roll it up and stand on it.

Next I do one of two things. sometimes I will hang it with a weight as jenny suggests, other times I will whack it on the kitchen counter, rotating the yar. Sounds odd, but it seems to really set the twist AND balance the ply. Then I'll hang it without a weight.

Cyndi

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Cyndi!

Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  06:19:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cyndi, I have twenty six shetlands, one cotswold, 6 llamas,and angora bunnies that give me lots of fleece. I use raw and processed, depending on the quality. I send my fleeces out to a wonderful little mill in frankenmuth, MI. I don't even wash them as they do such a nice job and i have so much fiber to do. Usually I get alot of one color done up into roving, and if I have a special fleece, I will get that done separately, or blended with another nice one since they aren't large fleeces. Then I get several felting batts done. The mill has a gaurd hair picker for the llama, it is expensive but so worth it!
I work on wheels for most of my yarns, and drop spindles for silk threads. I purchase silk hankies or bells every fall at the northern michigan lamb and wool festival. I try to have a large variety of colors on hand, so I can spin up a match for any project.
I started spinning about 15 years ago,learning on a drop spindle, and then moved onto an ashford wheel. Now I have a millie traveler, and a polonaise double treadle.
I also love to felt, and am working on a felted lace project. I am trying to perfect the technique since I am teaching a class on it in the fall.
Fiber is such a wonderful addiction, wish I had more time to devote to it! Nice to know all of you have been bitten by the same bug...jenny in mi
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Ooo! Jenny, please explain the felted lace. I have never heard of that before!

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  04:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny Louise -

I've been to that mill in Frankenmuth! It's wonderful!

When I lived in Michigan I belonged to a wonderful group of spinners called "the Spinner's Flock" they met in Chelsea, Michigan once a month and had a semi-annual sale that was to die for!

Is Cass City anywhere near there? I would love to attend this year's event but don't know when it is.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  05:18:08 AM  Show Profile
By the way, anyone going to HGA Convergence in Grand Rapids, MI, at the end of June?

I went to the one in Minneapolis many years ago and am thinking this one is closer (Won't need to lay out cash for a hotel...) I might just go again.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  08:05:23 AM  Show Profile
spinning is the most relaxing thing I've ever done in my life. Right now I've got a spinning wheel in my bedroom & kitchen. I've never been to any of the HGA conf. but one day would love too. Someday I may even have a sheep or two. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Spinners here? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page