New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic Squirrels are driving us crazy! Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2004 :  07:41:11 AM  Show Profile
If they aren't pelting us with acorns ( and I swear I hear them laughing...) they are feasting on my pumpkins and corn stalks decorating my front porch. I finally figured out how to prevent this without poisoning the little devils! Just pour witch hazel over the pumpkin and indian corn and they don't like the tase! All natural, eay to reapply after a big rain and and you can compost later without any residual chemical deposits! Bramble

with a happy heart

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2004 :  10:10:42 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea, esp. the part about no residual chemicals. The gray squirrels have stayed out of my garden (fenced in), but probably there wasn't anything in there they liked anyway! I love to see them chasing each other around the yard. We do have 2 hazelnut bushes that they get into, I don't mind because we don't spray them and they're usually "buggy" (the nuts, not the squirrels). I do wish they would not leave the shells on the picnic table though!

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  3:54:16 PM  Show Profile
We have little red squirrels that tease the bejeebers out of our little pomeranian. They get under the yurt and he thinks he is supposed to evict them so he crawls under as far as he can and beginns to bark and sqeel when he is in a place where he can't get out real fast they run out past him and up the tree. One will go to a second tree and they will take turns barking at him. He will stand below the tree just out of reach of them and they will keep teasing him. One will run to the next tree and begin to bark distracting him so the other can run to another tree. I have seen them play this game with him for hours. None of them ever seems to tire of it. It just makes me laugh.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  08:00:50 AM  Show Profile
This is a problem that doesn't go away when you move to the city! We have a squirrel that's chewing through the bellows in our air conditioner. (not to mention driving the cat absolutely up the wall)
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  3:56:57 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago my Dad was having squirrel problems. The squirrels got to all the cucumbers, zucchini and eggplants before my parents. That got my Dad scheming (he was an engineer), and he invented the squirrel zapper. Now before you all go running off the the SPCA complaining about cruelty to squirrels, it didn't work. He never zapped a squirrel. He waited all day and tried, but it shorted out or something, and no squirrels were harmed.

He went and bought an animal trap from Lee Valley Tools and now traps them for relocation to a nice, big park far, far away from the house. Peanut butter is the best bait. Unfortunately, it's also apparently good at luring in pigeons and skunks....

Cat
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  09:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
LOL - Cat, we tried peanut butter last year - and got oppossums and raccoons every time, but no squirrels. Our yard was so overinfested with the rats with furry tails I took to sitting on the roof with a slingshot. Never hit one tho. I also found a way to quietly let my dogs out of the house to go barrelling down on them. They never caught one either, but my bigger dog, Cookie, discovered she can jump 7 feet up a tree!

Figured if we couldn't get rid of them we could make 'em scared. They got our eggplants and corn last year - ALL the corn, even after we put up a fence with a top on it - they found a way to DIG under it (since when do squirrels dig like that?). We had the aluminum pan on a stick to make noise and wave in the breeze, turned sprinklers on.... nasty buggers.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  4:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, squirrels can dig. They bury nuts, so they gotta know how to dig. Pissed my Dad right off cuz they were tearing up his fall crop of spinach and lettuce to bury nuts.

One day I noticed my cat acting strangely to something on the other side of the kitchen window. Wouldn't you know it, a squirrel, brazen as anything, was up on the windowsill digging in an abandoned pot, driving my cat bonkers. He routed around in the pot, pulled out a walnut or a chestnut, checked it out, popped it in his mouth, and took off. It was rather fasinating glimpse of animal behaviour.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  1:16:22 PM  Show Profile
We have a squirrel we've named Chipster. He ended up with a broke leg after the hurricane. He eats pistachios out of our hands. My husband will put a peanut butter cookie in his pocket and he hops right up his chest and picks it out of his pocket.

Anybody ever eaten squirrel?
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  7:21:09 PM  Show Profile
My Dad used to feed them peanuts out of his hand and they would sit on his knee! He also had a pet racoon as a child so we were never surprised by his Dr. Doolittle tendencies! It skipped my generation but my son rescued two babies last week so I think the family trait is ressurected. And we have "Chippy" who has beaned us with green pinecones and chatters at us!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  8:37:58 PM  Show Profile
No, I've never eaten squirrel but my dh would really like it if I did, I think.

We have a couple of squirrel nests under the peak in our roof. I really don't like it but I can't get them out. I'm afraid of heights.

Our neighbors that we share a driveway with have had oppossum in their basement recently. I don't know how they got in though. I can't imagine having an animal that too closely resembles a rat in my basement!

Edited by - Krisathome on Nov 07 2005 8:40:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:18:08 PM  Show Profile
Reminds me of a quote from the movie Sweet Home Alabama or was it Legally Blonde? Anyway Reece Witherspoons character said " squirrels were just rats with cuter outfits on!

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:21:39 PM  Show Profile
We have so many squirrels around our house. They are cute little buggers until they start digging in my flower pots and turning over my planters. Yup - rats with a cute outfit is about right.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile
We have tons of gray squirrel who just love our peach tree! Find those peach pits everywhere! But there is one special one - Crackers - who keeps licking the stain on the porch and nibbling on it to! Been doing it since last summer. You would think by now it wouldv'e poisened itself...The weirdest thing to look out the window and see Crackers licking the porch for all he's worth.
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Squirrels are driving us crazy! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page