Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Spring reading ritual - The Secret Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Spring reading ritual - The Secret Garden Next Topic  

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  10:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey everyone!
It has become a tradition of mine to read "The Secret Garden" every spring. It really gets me in the mood for the upcoming planting and growning and spending time digging in the dirt! It's such a good book, one of my favorites! For those of you who don't know the story, it's about a young girl named Mary who lives in India with her parents. She's a spoiled, disagreeable child with a sour face. She is sent to live with her reclusive uncle on the moors of Yorkshire after her parents die of disease. She discovers an unwanted secret garden and helps bring it back to life with the help of her new friends: the maid's brother Dickon and the cousin she didn't know she had named Collin. The magic they find in the garden is wonderful and brings out the best in all of them. Mary learns to laugh, to feel, to cry. Collin, who has been led to believe he is a sickly boy who will soon die, learns to live and walk and not always get his way. And Mary's uncle learns to love again. Ooo, I can't wait to read it again! Just like the magic in the garden, this book brings out the magic in me!

Much love,
Laura

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  1:57:23 PM  Show Profile
I love that book! And what a wonderful ritual..will have to get mine right out. I have a hardback edition that was illustrated by TAsha Tudor..love it!!
Such a magical book! My girls have loved reading it too.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  2:11:01 PM  Show Profile
laura .. what a sweet tradition .. my 'nannie' gave me this book many years ago .. i read it to both daughters .. but have not re-visited it in a long time .. i also enjoyed the film version. from time to time in your readings ... give us some of your favorite passages.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I read "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver every late spring, to prep for the upcoming summer... sounds like I'm going to have to start a new tradition for the end of winter! What a lovely idea. I've never read it before.

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Laura,

This is one of my favorite books also. I read it to my daughters too, Frannie. The book is wonderful.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  8:27:30 PM  Show Profile
My spring reading is a book about Tasha Tudor, by Tovah Martin called "Tasha Tudor's Garden". I also read "Elizabeth's German Garden" by Elizabeth Von Arnim. I have never read Secret Garden, have a wonderful old hard back copy, must needs do so.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  8:53:19 PM  Show Profile
I have the Tasha Tudor's garden tooo...and love that one. (as well as the one about her crafts and her life and one called "Out of New England" about her.) I am so facinated by her!!
and Prodigal Summer by Barbara K was such a good one too! Fun that we all have similar taste in good books!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  12:05:41 AM  Show Profile
I just love Tasha Tudor. I have all 3 of her books about her. She is so interesting, I get her other books when ever I can.
Oh yes she has Corgis tooooo :) Her corgi pictures she paints are so cute.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  01:12:30 AM  Show Profile
I have always loved corgis too...they are built alot like my bassets! well, sort of...and I think if I ever went with another breed it would be them...cute as can be!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  8:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Had a corgi for awhile. His name was DIckens. Great dog. I was very sad when we had to find him a new home.
ALmost finished with The Secret Gaarden. Why it took me so long to read it, I will never know. What a great book!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

grammagoose
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

sandy
exeter rhode island
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  09:32:50 AM  Show Profile
I need to read the book. What a great tradition to read it each spring! Also I love Corgi's ofr the thought of having one. Tasha Tudor use to raise them and she is my absolute favorite!
Go to Top of Page

Frankenblonde
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Courtland CA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  01:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Frankenblonde a Yahoo! Message
I read this book as a child, and now have a lovely hard-cover edition for my baby girl. I read it again this winter and ended up planting a bunch of miniature roses outside on the sunnier days! I should read it again to gear up for an early spring... I also have a worn-out and much-loved video of "The Secret Garden" starring Kate Maberly (that girl is 23 now, my goodness how time flies!). I practically have the video memorized... now I just need the sound-track.

“Always know in your heart that you are far bigger than anything that can happen to you.”
~ Dan Zadra, Chicken Soup for the Country Soul

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  7:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I really love that version of the movie, too! I check it out of the library all the time. I really need to buy it! And the music is beautiful. I haven't started reading yet, was finishing up another book first. I'll have to read all the books you girls are suggesting. I just love to read!

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Spring reading ritual - The Secret Garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page