Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I went to the feed store today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I went to the feed store today Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  8:28:09 PM  Show Profile
to pick up some chicken feed. I was out of laying feed and chick starter. Since the chicks are almost 4 weeks old now I thought I would just get a 25 lb. bag because I am about ready to put them outside. So I ask if they have 25 lb. bags and of course they don't. They also had a new shipment of baby chicks. Hummm. So I ended up getting a 50 lb. bag and 8 new baby chicks. They had that all planned, didn't they? I got 4 more Barred Rock and 4 Americana. They are so darn cute.

So tomorrow the Buffs will be moving outside to the rabbit cage for a few weeks then out with the rest of the flock. The new ones will be in the laundry room till they get their feathers then out they go, too.

My 8 chicks that hatched here almost 4 weeks ago are all still alive! They have a good momma. I lock them up at night and let them out in the morning. I count them all day just to make sure they are all here. They are getting so big. The black ones are looking more Barred Rock every day now.

And I saw Russell Crowe's October offspring today. I hatched 9 eggs then and gave them to a friend. All but 2 were hens. She kept one roo and butchered the rest. The roo she kept is the most beautiful roo I have ever seen. Way more than his dad. So I am keeping my fingers crossed for one of these babies to be a roo, too.

So my flock is rapidly growing and I'm loving it. I count chickens all day. And the guineas, too. It's an awful habit I have. I count baby goats, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  8:36:18 PM  Show Profile
So kristin what is your flock total now... Girl you gotta stay away from those babies!
I moved my 7 babies into the studio now and the other 3 & Big Al don't seem to bother them much. During the day they all are free rangeing & the little ones * now 10 weeks old stay together where one goes they all go. & at nightfall they all go back into the studio un assisted by this chickie mama.. *they are such good girls* I think they are gonna be great layers.. too.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  9:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I have 36 babes and 7 hens and 1 rooster. Wow, that's a lotta chickens. But I don't do small. If I do anything, it's big. I have 20 goats now, too. But I hope those numbers will drop way back down to 7 really soon. And they will. But maybe 10. I have to keep a few bucks and a wether.

Anyway, you sound like yours are all doing great now. They usually do. We just worry too much about them. But do you count them all the time, too?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  9:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- that is great that Russel passed on his good genetics! I am keeping my fingers crossed for a sweet handsome young man your your hens too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  9:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristin.. Of course I do..Making sure none get left behind.... or lost! Or that the Bigger ones havent picked on one too much..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  9:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee. I could not believe how gorgeous that roo was. He had perfect spots. Just too cute for a roo. And to think I just gave them all away. I did that last year, too. I sold all my hens and the one BR that was left. She turned out to be a roo and looked just like Russell Crowe. So it could happen again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  12:09:09 AM  Show Profile
You know Kris, the same thing happened to me last year, went in for feed and came home with the last 10 pullets they had. I just don't know how that happens, but I've got a plan this year....I'm sending DH to the feed store or I take him with me so I won't be tempted.
I've got 9 chickens and 2 roosters right now and I ordered 25 Buff Oprington's from Meyer and they will arrive 3rd wk of June.

We've also got about 25 calves and 10 baby goats. We are up to 31 goats at our place now, that's 1/2 the number of cows we have. We've been blessed, I remind myself of that.

And I count all the time too, I think it's just natural to be sure no one is lost or got eaten or something.

Do you remember Sesame Street....I always feel like "count" dracula, one, one baby goat, two, two baby goats........
Sometimes it's maddening.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  04:11:53 AM  Show Profile
I also went to the feed store yesterday. Why do I always end up with so much more than I went after. No new animals though. Instead, I took my 3 yr old grandson, he had to have a little tractor and trailer! You know Nana couldn't say "no". Boy, those people are smart putting those toys where you go to pay!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  05:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Gena, that's exactly why I don't take my hubby with me! Or the grandkids, either. I can say no to them but not him. There was a big ole red tricycle that Kansas rode on all over the store a few times and when my hubby got enuf money back a few monthe ago he got it for her. Big ole softee. He's always been that way. She loves that bike. He was going to get the John Deere tractor but some other Papa must have beaten him to it. Gotta love those grandparents, huh?

Well, I'm off to put the Buffs out this morning. They are so big and ready to get some green stuff.

That's funny, Cindy. And that's alotta goats. How's the new girls doing?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  2:01:31 PM  Show Profile
I went back to the feed store today with a friend and went to the chickie section and they had new chicks, ya'll!! There were some Buff Minorcas and Ancondas. I looked at grown up pics of both and the BM look a little like a Buff game hen, not as big and pretty as the Buu O's. But the Ancondas were too cute. And they lay white eggs and are in the Leghorn family. Good layers. And pretty, too. So I got 6 of them. Got home, put them in the cage with the other babes and they fit right in, like they've lived together for days. So sweet when they're little.

I need help!! I can't get any more. I have enuf now. But I think I have a baby chickie addiction. I thought they were done with baby chicks. So it's not safe for me to go in there for awhile. Next time they might have another new kind.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  04:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I count chicks and chickens every time I am at the coop. . . which is several times a day. . . I'm just a "Mother Hen" I guess
I have 6 new Rhode Island Reds, 3 of the old "heritage" and 3 of the new breed. They are doing wonderfully and my "Girls" are doing well despite the fact they lost half their coop space to the new babies.

I had to laugh, I always want to bring home the baby chicks too. That is why I bring my guy along when I go, HE can say NO when I am saying YES! LOL!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  05:11:29 AM  Show Profile
My baby chicks won't be here for another 3 weeks. Can't wait. I am getting Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orfington. I don't have a problem counting my hens, only have 9. But I have 30 babies comming. Will be hard to count them.

I do most of my counting in the garden. I count when I pick greenbeans, lettuce leaves, strawberries, asparagus. And I count my tomato plants. Not that one can get away but to make sure they are all alive.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  12:13:22 PM  Show Profile
That's funny, Belle. Not that one can get away. I am doing the same thing now with all my plants. Just did it with the peppers. I started with 8 now down to 7. And just bought 8 more tomato plants from a guy at the farmer's market for .25 a piece. They just finished out my row. So no more tomatoes.

I just love the little Anconda chicks. They are sp pretty. And I don't know why but the silly Americana chicks like to stick their little fluffy heads out the cage wire. And they just stand there like that. Not moving. Just with their heads sticking out of the cage. I wonder why? It's too funny. They are the only ones that do that.

All together now I have 42 baby chicks. I really want more but not going to get more yet.

3 weeks is a long time to have to wait. But it will be here before ya know it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  3:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Kristin when can we start calling you "Queen of the royal chickens?" I wish I had the room for them. My good luck is that my sister does so I buy the chicks and give them to her.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  2:04:48 PM  Show Profile
I went out this morning to feed and one of my 5 week old barred rock chicks was dead. I have no idea what happened to her. The others are fine. I think maybe she got stuck when I put the feed tray in last night because she was right beside it this morning.

The others that I got a few weeks ago are all so cute and growing like weeds. O wish it'd get warmer at night so I can put them outside out of my laundry room. This is getting old having to move the cage every time I go to wash clothes. And the flies are awful. I hate flies.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  2:44:56 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you gals ever have a chick that its feet seem to not work right? I have 15 3 week old buff's, and 1 of them seem to not be able to walk. It's little feet slide all around when it tries to walk. It's very strange. I hope it will be okay, but I kinda of think it may not. It is eating though.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  3:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Gena, some of the chickens I got at the auction had crooked feet. The rooster and a hen. He has a little trouble walking but she doesn't. I of course did not see the feet that night at the auction since they were crammed into a very small cage. But they are ok now. He's a little pigeon toed.

I once had a little chicken that had a crooked beak. She lived til she was about 5 or 6 months old. Poor thing. And one of the cages of chicks at the feed store had a chick with a crooked beak. I told Stephanie and she took it out to her husband. She came back without the poor thing.

I don't know what could be the matter with yours. I hope it will make it. When did you start to notice it's feet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  04:30:33 AM  Show Profile
Kris, sorry about your baby chick, we lost one similar to your situation. Turns out that ours actually choked on a piece of food.

On a brighter note, I giggled when you mentioned moving the cage so you could do laundry . . . and those flies. . . ugh! I made a cage in our coop complete with a feeding station and a heat lamp. This way all the smell is in the coop and the Big Girls eat the flies!!

Our little babies are 2 weeks old and are running back and forth, doing a little "flying" inside the cage. . . very entertaining. Kind of funny, you poke your head in to check on them and they immediately get up and show off. They sure can brighten even the darkest days.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  05:18:11 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good idea. But my coop is so far from the house and we have to run extension cords out there. I am waiting on warmer nights then out they go. I was going to do a little run for the older chicks today so they can get out on the ground and eat grass and bugs but it's raining again. I hope it stops soon so I can get out there. It's just another yucky day here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  05:30:55 AM  Show Profile
It has finally begun to rain here. .. we have needed it desperately.
My girls love to run out into the rain, funny to see them doing so.

Hope you have a better day weather wise tomorrow. I know your girls will appreciate being in the grass too!

I have a question for you, when will you "mix" all your chickens? Do you wait until your chicks are 26 weeks old? I am not sure when to anticipate doing this with mine. Obviously the chicks need to be good size before doing so. . . just not sure when. Any advise??

Joanna #566
JojoNH

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  05:46:59 AM  Show Profile
I only have 7 older hens and a rooster now. One of the hens has 8 chicks that are the same age as the first batch of chicks I bought. They are in a rabbit cage right now in the chicken yard. So they can see everyone and they are seen, too. But I really want to put the Buffs out in the back where the goats are but need to wait til the kids are all gone. So I wanted to make a little temporary pen til I can move them. I could probably just open the cage door and let them out now and they'd be ok. There will be some squabbles for awhile til they all get to know each other.

But when you have new babies and want to add them in with the rest of the flock it's best to put the new ones in a cage in the hen house so they can meet each other and still be safe. Keep them in the cage at least a week then one night open the cage door. They should be fine after that.

How many older hens do you have?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  07:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I have 9 year old hens. The chicks are in a cage inside the coop where they can see each other. I have one of the older girls that is picking on several of the other older ones. . . she is cranky for some reason, anyway, I was afraid to introduce them all too soon for that reason.
Hate to do it too soon and loose one of the new chicks....

Joanna #566
JojoNH

Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  1:04:18 PM  Show Profile
My chicks are finally ALL outside now! Yeah Some will be going to dotters for the gkids 4H projects, as soon as she finishes the hen house for them . The Buff Orpingtons have started laying, the Phoenix are just way too prolific, hoping they will go broody soon. really dont want to put up the incubator again, too nice having my sewing room back to fill it up again with chicks. Didnt get alot of bunnies this year but the one I did get are very nice, hope the buyers are willing to pay what they are worth.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  1:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Joanna, are your hens still laying at that age? I've never had any that long. I either sell them after a few years or they go in the freezer.

I think if the little ones have enough room to run they should be ok to get away from the older ones. They'll know when to run, too.

Lorraine, I just put my almost 5 week old Buff and Barred Rock chicks out in a stall today. They are loving all the hay and dirt to dig around in. They are already doing the dirt baths. That just amazes me how they know what to do already. As soon as I put them on the ground they went to scratching and playing in the hay. I left for awhile earlier and when I came back there were about 6 of them that had gotten out and they were right next to one of the older hens. I never saw her do a thing to them. I'll wait a few more days then open the door and see what happens. They should be fine.

Now in a few days I'll put the other 12 babies out in the rabbit cage. They should be fine all together outside. And I'll have my laundry room back and be able to walk through it without having to move cages out of the way. How nice that will be!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Opps, well that is a play on words!! What I meant to say is, I have 9 Rhode Island Reds that are a year old. . . Can you tell it has been crazy around here??

I need to be sure when I let the babies out that they cannot get outside the fenced in yard. We have several wild animals around that would eat them in a heart beat. . . starting with the eagles and hawks not to mention the four legged variety of varmints too. Everyone keeps telling me, "I cannot believe you still have all your chickens!"
[One of the local farms had over 100 chickens and had a great egg business. They woke up one morning to find all 100 gone, the weasels got them over night. Just awful.]

HappyDaze- Glad your getting your sewing room back! Cannot imagine not having your sewing room to use, your a great Mama!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  2:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Well, how funny is that? I can't even imagine what a 9 year old hen looks like! And to think they even get that old. That's funny.

That's my problem. I have field fence on one side of the chicken yard and they all go out into the field but not too far. And right now the hay is so tall I wouldn't be able to see little ones. I was going to put up chicken wire along that part so thay won't get through but I hate that stuff. I end up looking like I've been in a fight with a cat. Blood dripping down my arms. I always get cut up, even with gloves. And I hate wearing gloves, too. So I will keep mine in the stall til they get a little bigger. Then out they go.

That is so sad to lose so many at once. Darn those wild critters. But that's life. Stuff happens and we just have to keep going and start over sometimes. We have hawks around here but I have not lost any to them yet. At least I don't think I have.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I went to the feed store today Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page