Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I went to the feed store today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I went to the feed store today Next Topic
Page: of 2

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile
Kris, the little chick is still going. He seems to have adjusted to walking that way. He is 1 of the 2 rooster chicks I ordered. I am glad I did order 2. What do you call male chicks? Is it cockrels??
They are in our barn part that stores the feed. Boy, does it smell!!
I think I should wait a few more weeks before I put them out though.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  6:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Gena, I never really thought about what they are called but I think you're right. I ordered a Buff roo when I got the rest and the only way I know him right now is he has no tail yet and his comb is bigger. All the girls have tails. He did have a big blue dot on his head but that's gone now.

Have you ever found out anything more about your little one? There is a good forum called Backyard Chickens. There are alot of very smart chicken people there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  2:28:59 PM  Show Profile
I know this will sound crazy, but how do I get to the "Backyard Chickens" forum??

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  2:58:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gena. It's www.BackYardChickens.com then go to the forum. You have to join it to actually talk there. But it's very informative and all about chickens. You'll like it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  4:59:49 PM  Show Profile
BackyardChickens.com is FABULOUS! They really helped me out when I was starting with beaks!
my two new "babies" are a buff and an auracana! They are almost 15 weeks old. My other beaks are Mario my gorgeous rooster (3 years old), the Trips (my first hens - three red-sexlink ladies who are three years old now) and Peep ( a chick hatched from one of the Trips - 2 years old) and Blackie (my black feather-footed bantam). Oh, I also have the four blacktailed Japanese white banties - two hens, two roos.
Thay all live together and seem to get on fine, tho the japanese don't seem to like to leave the run to free range... The others love to wander about the place, they wander deep into the forest (hello fox!) and across the meadow (hi Mister Hawk). Clearly they are either fearless or really clueless.... LOL!

chickens clucking, bees buzzing, flowers blooming, all is good!

Edited by - Peacebird on May 28 2009 5:02:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  02:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I will check that forum out today. Is everyone selling their eggs? I would love to get more chicks, but unless I could sell them, I would be buried in eggs!!!

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  05:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I love hearing you all talk about your girls. I also have a small flock of 25 plus 2 roosters, Harry and Black boy. I am also raising 25 meat birds that should be in my freezer by mid July. Your posts have been great to read.
Tammyb#541
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  05:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Gena, I sell my extra eggs as I have them. My neighbor, a few friends downtown and give to another neighbor who is ill. The eggs I sell pay for the upkeep of our girls. . . although we benefit from farm fresh eggs with no "bad stuff" in them, having them earn their keep is a must.

Tammy, glad you are enjoying reading about our girls!! I love reading about everyone's too. I did raise my own meat birds last year. . . 13 out of 15 made it and into the freezer. Great eating, however, I would never do it again!! YUCK!! they were the smelliest birds ever!!! Even though we only had them 8 weeks and one day, never again!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  06:17:06 AM  Show Profile
So all you who butcher, do you have a certain way you do it? There is a good article in the new Mother Earth about raising meat birds. This ladies husband built a tablt that is really neat. I need to show it to my hubby. I just have a piece of plywood over saw horses out by the well house so there is water. And it's in the shade, a must have. And do you put Vicks under your nose? I will have to do that next time, too, for sure.

All my little Buffs that I put out in the stall the other day are doing great. They love all the room out there. I just wish they were on some grass. I pull up a bunch and give it to them. That's the first thing the momma and her babes do when I let them out is go get grass.

And I think I will put the new babies out there today. They need to be outside. They are only a few weeks old but I think it's warm enuf now.

And when I have a lot of eggs I do sell them But right now I only have 7 hens and one is not laying because of the chicks and a few more aren't, too. I get between 3 and 5 a day. I have had to go on egg hunts lately. 2 of the hens are going out back in the goat barn to lay. I found 1 nest with 8 eggs in it last week. Took all but 1 and she laid there a few more days then went elsewhere. I have not found it yet, but I will. Her and another hen are back there most of the day now scratching around in the barn. That is where I want to put all the Buff chicks to keep them separated from the rest so I'll have oure Buff eggs if I want to hatch some out.

Someone somewhere was asking about the green eggs and the taste. They don't taste any different to me. But I have read that they are higher in cholesterol. So people with high cholesterol should maybe not eat so many of those. But I do. My hen lays double yolk eggs alot. I got 4 more Americana chicks. They are so cute and fun to have around. Thay are kind of like the Lamancha of the chicken world. Very different and if people have never seen them they think something is wrong with them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  07:26:07 AM  Show Profile
I have to draw the line at ME actually doing the butchering. So far, I can raise the cows and pigs to butcher and eat. I take them the guy down the road to butcher and package. I think it would be too much trouble to kill the chicken and eat. I think it goes WAAAYYY back to my childhood. I remember my dad chopping off my chickens heads. I was horrified!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I went to the feed store today Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page