Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  3:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday morning a neighbor called to ask if he could bring me a mother and her two kittens; I told him yes, I'd take them. The kittens are, approximately, eight weeks old. He loaded them in the cat carrier along with their little litter box, put them in the back of his pick-up truck and hurried to the farm.
It was only when he got here, he realized the back of his truck was filled with rain water and it had Poured into the cat carrier nearly drowning the cat and kittens. Fortunately, he lives only a mile away so the cat and kittens were only bedraggled and soaked but still alive.
I brought the kittens to the house, wrapped them in clean towels and started feeding them warm milk and half 'n half. They were trembling from the cold and I figured warm milk was the best way to get them warm from the inside out. The mother ran and was away from them until today when I caught her and brought her to the house.
After getting warm milk into the kittens, still wrapped in towels, I aimed the blow dryer on them, set on low and that helped as well. Then I wrapped them in a blanket, put them in a box and set the box on a heating pad, set on low. That's how they stayed for a number of hours. I fed them tuna canned with water, kitten chow, fresh water and a bit of heated half 'n half.
Today I tried cleaning them with a bit of home made soap and warm water followed by a bit of vinegar rubbed over their little bodies.
BUT. They still smell really, really badly and it's difficult for them to clean themselves. They are trying but I don't want to imagine what it tastes like when they lick their fur. The mother is terribly bedraggled and smells horrible; her fur is standing on end like it's been gelled.
? - Please tell me your thoughts on how to finally get the kittens and cat cleaned. The kittens are looking better and don't smell quite as bad but the poor mother is in horrible condition. She knows it too as she just crouches and looks miserable.
I hate it for all of them but it was an honest accident. I've had them, you've had them, we all have and the neighbor curses himself for doing something so stupid. I told him, "it's over, the kittens are looking and smelling a bit better and we go forward. At least they didn't die."
Everyone needs to get well so they can live healthy lives and will be spayed as soon as they are old enough. I believe both kittens are females.
Right now everyone is living in the parlor which is still wrecked from the flooding damage in December. There's no problem with them messing anything up because everything needs to be repaired anyway.
Thanks for any advice.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  4:40:42 PM  Show Profile
What was mixed with the rain water to make them so smelly and gross? I would try giving the kitties a real bath, with lukewarm water and a little shampoo, being sure to keep it away from their eyes. I'm not sure how tame the mama is but you could *try* giving her a bath as well, or at least rubbing her with soaked towels, trying to freshen her up. Those are my only suggestions.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  4:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would suggest the same as Elizabeth. You need to get the kitty box mess out of their fur. As far as the mom is concerned, you might want help and even though she isn't a kitten any more, have someone grab the scruff of her neck. Most cats still respond somewhat to that grip, no matter how old they are. I would actually do a two sink or two tub system- have warm water in another sink or bin close by, and have the cat in the tub with the drain open. Then just give her a shower a cup at a time, not getting her head wet.

If she won't stand for that, just get a rag really warm and wet and kindof mop her. You might have to do this every day for a few days to help her work the nastiness out of her fur.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

couggardengirl
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Bridgette
Clarkston WA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  8:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Had to help nan bathe her cat after she got ringworm, this was an adult cat who'd never in her life had a bath on purpose. We found that a 5 gallon bucket filled about half full worked really well, the cat was able to keep her front paws on the rim of the bucket and didn't fight so much to try and get away.
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  6:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Elizabeth, Alee and Bridgette - the baths went well today, especially helpful was the suggestion to use a 5 gallon bucket. Mama cat used the side of the bucket to hold onto and seemed to know I was trying to help. She never scratched, cried or otherwise tried to hurt me. I held her with my left and shampooed with my right hand. I used home made soap because it's pure and rinses cleanly. When I was drying her, I used a towel that soaks up water then used a fresh, regular towel to dry her. Even when I opened up the towel to dry her stomach, she stayed on my lap, purring. I always talk to my animals and had told her what I was going to go, I was trying to help and she sensed, or knew, this.
The kittens are so small they were no trouble although they cried pitifully. When I finished drying them, they received warmed half 'n half, kitten kibble, water and the heating pad turned to medium so they would have warmth. They are so small they can't generate enough body heat to recover from their bath so they needed help.
Thanks for all your excellent suggestions; mama and kitties are doing much, much better.

BTW, Elizabeth, the neighbor had put their litter box in the carrier and when the rainwater washed into the carrier, the animals were swimming around in litter. UGH! My neighbor has felt dreadful, cursed himself for his stupid mistake but all is well that ends well. I've made my share of stupid mistakes; we all have.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

couggardengirl
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Bridgette
Clarkston WA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  6:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear everybody is clean and feeling good! :)
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  5:37:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear that they are all fresh and clean now! Thanks for caring for your little animal friends!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning Kittens and Cat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page