Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  12:54:37 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't sure where to post this so here it is.....
I have a bunch of ants that have moved into the area around our paver sidewalk. If I'm remembering correctly(which I may not be), isn't a good way to get rid of ants to use grits? I took grits out and sprinkled it all up and down the side of the walk today so when it cools off they will come out and get it, I hope.

Any other remedies for killing ants?

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Gas. That's about the only thing that will KILL ants. But if ya don't want to use gas then try cinnamon. Someone said they don't like it. I had ants coming in my living room and I put it along the door and walls and it seemed to work. I saw a few here and there after, but not like before.

Also try diotamacious earth. It says it will get rid of them, too. I do use that in my gardens.

Good luck. Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris, If they are still there tomorrow, I'll try the gas as that's what I have on hand. We had a bad thunder/lightening/hail/rain storm tonight so my grits probably got washed away anyway.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  03:27:33 AM  Show Profile
20 Mule Team Borax found in the laundry detergent section
DE for sure
good ole gasoline/fire The fire burns up any residual gas, so seepage into any water table is minimal
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:06:12 PM  Show Profile
OH, Anna, I have some borax in the cupboard, that's better since so close to the house, don't want to burn the place down or get gas in the well.

Thanks!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  9:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, let me know if the borax works for you. I might need to try that. Much better than gas, for sure.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  9:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I'll let you know. It turned cold again, so I'm sure I'll have to wait for it to warm up to see if it works or not.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  07:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Peppermint oil seems to work well, but you need to reapply it about once a week. Put a few drops in their little piles of sand. I've heard that ants find their way back to their homes by smell, and the minty smell confuses them. I have the exact same problem with my pavers out back.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  7:47:18 PM  Show Profile
You can let them kill each other. My friend who works for the county extension service says to take a shovel of ants from one mound and put it into another mound. Then just keep moving them around every day until they all kill each other. No chemicals no mess and cheap too.

May the force of the Horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  11:50:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Beth. Actually the grits did the trick. Haven't seen an ant since. I didn't even have the chance to try the other ideas.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ants..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page